Froyo on X

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mot-droidx-froyo.jpg

As promised yesterday, P3Droid and MyDroidWorld.com have released an un-official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motorola Droid X! This is a leaked OTA upgrade in the update.zip format. This is not a ROM or a port. This will upgrade both your baseband and your system.

For installation instructions, please check out this thread: MyDroidWorld Exlusive: Droid X Froyo for Everyone including non rooted phones

Non-Rooted Update:
[Links Have Been Removed]

Rooted Update:
[Links Have Been Removed]

Here's a quick overview of the Android 2.2 Features:
  • 2 to 3 times improvement in JavaScript.
  • 2 to 5 times better performance of Android on the same hardware!
  • USB and Wi-Fi Internet Tethering.
  • Microsoft Exchange integration including auto-discovery and remote wipe
  • New services just as data backup APIs for carriers to move your data from one device to another
  • New and improved browser.
  • Compass support for Google Maps in the browser, no need to launch the Maps app anymore for compass support.
  • Improved Google Voice Search, recognizes long and complicated sentences easily.
  • Full Flash support in the web browser!
  • Real-time language translation!
  • V8 Codec support, a new standard for online media by Google.
  • A widget that helps you search your Android device, apps for market and much more!
  • Ability to search within app data.
  • Improved crash reporting to developers.
  • Over the air application downloading via non-mobile store version from any PC on to your device.
  • Streaming your non-DRM home music library straight onto your Android device.
  • Purchase your music over the air from a non mobile destination right onto your device.
  • Install apps on your SD-card, finally it’s here!
  • Auto-update apps!
  • Car Docking!
  • An improved Android market, buy your apps and games from the web Android Market and send them straight to your phone.
  • Use voice gestures to trigger apps

And go on over and tell the hardworking leak crew thanks. Thank You Thread

(We are still working on updating the post, so please have some patience with us! As always, remember there is risk involved when modding your phone. DroidForums.net / MyDroidWorld.com is not liable for any damage. Note: This is not the official update from Verizon / Motorola, but about as close as you can get right now!)

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Have we gotten root access on this one yet?
Also, I think it would be good to post a link here to all the resources we need for updating, restoring, and information... Just so people can get to them all from one place.

Here's the only link I can provide right now. A pretty comprehensive guide about unbricking / restoring.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/68222-unbricking-your-droid-x.html

Now we just need
- restore tools
- info about doing these updates / potential concerns, etc.

Just so they are all in one place

Nadious

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I know that you have to put it on there and run some kind of recovery method... but alas, I'm new to this. (Droid X is my first Android device EVER.)

I'm sure there's been a little 'how-to' posted on how to run this update, but I'm not having much luck locating it. (Yes, please feel free to post your 'use the search button comments... anything to get your post count up, I guess.)

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Wait, is this just a leaked OTA or is it an actual FroYo ROM? If it's a rom, I may run to Verizon and get me a X lol

armedmonkey

Reaction score
The thing is... there are several guides. It's hard for someone like me, who is also new to this to find the BEST one for this particular instance. I have nothing to compare it to, y'know?

And even if i knew one that applied to this, I'd like someone with more experience to post the most commonly accepted way to do this here.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Crap, can't edit... but Swift posted as I was posting. Sorry.

Anyway, this is leaked OTA I think. it's an update.zip file. I'm guessing by ROM you mean
3rd party ROM for use with a ROM manager, blah blah blah. No motoblur... If so, then no, it's not that.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait, is this just a leaked OTA or is it an actual FroYo ROM? If it's a rom, I may run to Verizon and get me a X lol

Leaked OTA.

That said, the X has been sufficiently hacked to allow for the installation of custom ROMs in the near future.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
So let me take a shot at this...

I guess to install it you need to reboot in recovery after copying the update to the root of your sd?

Does this wipe your stuff? And what's the best way to back up all your settings/apps beforehand?

Nadious

Reaction score
Ok, last question (I promise). I'm not clear on one thing here:

Non-Rooted File vs. Rooted File

Does this mean:

A: If I'm unrooted (which is my case), I need to run THAT update

or

B: If I'm unrooted and run the ROOTED update.zip, it gives me root access after the update?

Just trying to clarify the difference between the two files.