Z4root question...

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Z4root temporally isn't working for my droid on the latest ota... It did install su but didn't install bb. But su didn't install because I looked for it in the system apps... And yes I have debug mode on.

Next question, not sure if wanna try since temp didn't work, is the to try the forever root button. If a update comes it will erase root from phone, yes?

I'd really like to get temp to work though...
P.S never delete stock apps unless you can re download them in the market because some apps just will not re install...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Oh, and lol funny question, but is having busy box on phone void your phone contract? Because I noticed on the market it doesn't say anything about that it does/did

Dustin.

Reaction score
Rooting your phone in general voids your warranty, that's why most people choose not to root their device.

However, there are way of backing up, and restoring your phone back to an "Out of the Box" state, and unrooting then getting an insurance claim and or a different phone.

EDIT - Sorry I missed the obvious conflict here, but here's what you might try. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the App, turning your phone off, then on. Because many people have confirmed that the z4root method works on the OTA.

Last edited:

BrendonSF

Reaction score
A lot of people aren't able to get Z4root to work after the latest OTA. My hunch is that it might be those of us who had rooted via the DoRoot method prior to the update. (would love to get feedback on this)
Look around and you'll find others complaining of this problem. I can say without a doubt that Z4root no longer works for me (have tried every combination of things you can think of 20+ times)

Dustin.

Reaction score
Yes, many people are having troubles getting it to work, but on the other hand, there's those people who have gotten it to work.

For those of you who can't obtain root by z4root or DoRoot, there still is hope.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

The way of doing it yourself. No app, no 1 hit wonders.

You'll need to download Terminal Emulator from the Market, go to that link and download the necessaries and place them on your SD Card then follow the Terminal Commands to a "T".

(This is the manual way of obtaining Root and the way I've used on both my DX and D2, I have NOT tested it on the new .340 OTA or Leak! So please be advised that I nor anyone else is responsible for your phone or your actions. You have been warned.)

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Well, I tried to d2 root method and my phone restarted as soon as I turned debug on and hooked it to the pc.. Have they maybe tried stopping us from rooting that way? Had anyone else tried?

And the terminal rooting by phone, does it also unroot? And again does updates erase track of root?

Dustin.

Reaction score
Yes, if you use the method posted above, there are terminal commands to unroot your phone.

And yes, some updates remove root. (Pretty much turns your phone into an "Out of the Box" state.

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Yes, if you use the method posted above, there are terminal commands to unroot your phone.

And yes, some updates remove root. (Pretty much turns your phone into an "Out of the Box" state.

Thanks that sound great.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Basically every update breaks root. That's why you unroot before you accept the update because otherwise the files are still there and rerooting can be troublesome. Often to the point of having to SBF just to reroot.

There are terminal commands in the link in my sig that will give you root again.

Oh, and with the X just use permanent root. It WILL unroot afterward. Rooting is entirely software and can always be undone.

BrendonSF

Reaction score
OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Basically every update breaks root. That's why you unroot before you accept the update because otherwise the files are still there and rerooting can be troublesome. Often to the point of having to SBF just to reroot.

There are terminal commands in the link in my sig that will give you root again.

Oh, and with the X just use permanent root. It WILL unroot afterward. Rooting is entirely software and can always be undone.

Wait, what? The root files don't get deleted after an update?!

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Glad I sbf and now know about this. I will never delete stock app again.... Even the freaking calculator.

Dustin.

Reaction score
Yes, many people are having troubles getting it to work, but on the other hand, there's those people who have gotten it to work.

For those of you who can't obtain root by z4root or DoRoot, there still is hope.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

After trying numerous rooting methods that have worked for me in the past, I finally got this one to work. Back in business. Thanks!

Glad I could help ya out. Enjoy, and goodluck!

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Ummmmmm I tried the free terminal emulator, and got to ./rage.bin (I'm using my files that I used to root before... may should update?) but after closing the app, and reopening it, it still has a $...