Z4root question...

DangerBillRobinson

Reaction score
How do you back up Droid 2 then root?

I see some chatter in here about backing up the phone before rooting so if z4root fails, I can restore the backup.

So my question here is What do I use to backup my OS and state to my SD card or computer? The rest below is just ranting.

I'm still trying to find complete instructions on z4r00t. Of the instructions I've found so far they all go something like
1) Download z4r00t
2) Click it
3) voila!

I guess the rest is mind reading because my z4root is a zip file of a bunch of non-executable files.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That does basically cover the whole process of rooting with z4root, yes.

THERE IS NO WAY TO BACK UP YOUR PHONE LIKE YOU ARE SUGGESTING BEFORE YOU ROOT AND EVEN AFTER YOU ROOT YOU NEED A CUSTOM RECOVERY IMAGE AND/OR TITANIUM BACKUP OR SIMILAR APP TO DO THESE BACKUPS!

If something goes haywire you will need to flash SBF to get back to stock, but z4root itself will either root your phone or not. Rooting your phone alone will not cause issues as all it does is grant you superuser/administrator access to your phone.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I see some chatter in here about backing up the phone before rooting so if z4root fails, I can restore the backup.

So my question here is What do I use to backup my OS and state to my SD card or computer? The rest below is just ranting.

I'm still trying to find complete instructions on z4r00t. Of the instructions I've found so far they all go something like
1) Download z4r00t
2) Click it
3) voila!

I guess the rest is mind reading because my z4root is a zip file of a bunch of non-executable files.

Are you trying to execute the .apk file from your phone or your computer? If you snagged the .apk file from the web and then downloaded to your computer and are trying to run it from there, it isnt going to work. You need to move the .apk file from the PC to your SD card on the phone, either trough USB, Bluetooth, or wirelessly, and then navigate to it with an app such as Astro and run it from the phone. Once it installs and opens, you should be left with 2 options, Temporary Root and Permanent Root...click whichever you want. You may have the z4root app "lock up" a couple of times...if it does, pull the battery and restart, then try z4root again...when it works it shouldnt take more than 2-3 minutes from start to finish.

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Well, found out why it wasn't working after trying everything. The su file needs updated, so the person who made the app needs to update it. It does give me a zip and says flash it, but if I do that it won't be temp. I think.... Having tried other thing yet... oh and had anyone notice adfree is gone :{

Sent from my DROIDX 2.2.1, system version 2.3.340 that isn't rooted using Tapatalk

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Thats whats so weird about this OTA and z4root...some, like myself, were rooted prior with a different method, then re-rooted after OTA with z4root and all has been good so far. But, there are others out there who were either rooted with z4 prior, or other methods, but after OTA z4 wont root...seems strange to me.

Whats more, I used the version of z4 straight from XDA in the first post of the release thread....:icon_eek:

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
See everyone is using root I was trying temp root. Try that give me some feed back.

Sent from my DROIDX 2.2.1, system version 2.3.340 that isn't rooted using Tapatalk

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Why not is the question. :p and if I did try root I'm sure it will say the same thing su needs updated. I just wanna use the old su that I've been using. Much better and no bugs or updates.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Those who did not unroot before the update will have problems. It hath been prophesied.
Not entirely true...as I stated before, I was rooted before this last update to System Version 2.3.340...then updated OTA and lost root...then installed and ran z4root without a problem and am currently rooted and running right as rain. The version of z4root I used this last time was the version posted on XDA in the original release thread...I have no idea if that .apk file has been modified or not, but I do know it does still work on the DX, as I have rooted my personal phone with it, and the phone of a co-worker 30 minutes after doing mine.

See everyone is using root I was trying temp root. Try that give me some feed back.
Ummm, no. Sorry, but I dont see any point or benefit to Temp Rooting. Good luck getting someone else to experiment. What is your reason for not Perm Rooting? There is a very handy-dandy Unroot option that appears in z4root after performing either temp or perm...

Why not is the question. :p and if I did try root I'm sure it will say the same thing su needs updated. I just wanna use the old su that I've been using. Much better and no bugs or updates.

How can you be so sure if you are unwilling to try? From what I can see so far, you have 2 options with dealing with root and z4...either you try to Perm Root using the app, or you continue to pout like an insolent child because "your old way" doesnt work any longer...
Sorry to sound harsh, but it seems you want to beat the proverbial dead horse instead of trying out a new pony...just my opinion...good luck either way!

OP
A

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Z4root sucks..... I got my old fashon root back :) just had to use phone TE. Now I needa find adfree...they took it off the market! Any help with that or the latest version it was.

Edit
I like old root cuz no annoying updates. And has been working great with no problems.

Sent from my DROIDX 2.2.1, system version 2.3.340 that is rooted using Tapatalk

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Z4root sucks..... I got my old fashon root back :) just had to use phone TE. Now I needa find adfree...they took it off the market! Any help with that or the latest version it was.

Edit
I like old root cuz no annoying updates. And has been working great with no problems.

What "annoying updates" are you talking about?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Updates are blocked by the recovery and or ROM. Z4 has nothing to do with that.

Edit

What "annoying updates" are you talking about?

DroidForums junkie!!