Xbox one or PS 4

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Saw the Sony E3 conference last night and I have to say.... they made a new fan.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The price point, no 24 hour ping, some of the exclusives and the used game policy. Those would be the biggest points for me.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to ask... (and I am only asking because I am truly curious)... why are people so upset about the "24 hour ping/always online thing?" Most of us have a PC or two (or more) at home which are always hooked up to the internet. If you leave your PC on, it will regularly check Microsoft's servers for new Windows updates (or OS X updates on the Mac), so what is the difference? (Even if you don't leave your PC on all the time, it still checks for updates when you turn it on later.)

I am not trying to be contrary... I genuinely want to understand why this is such a big deal.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have to ask... (and I am only asking because I am truly curious)... why are people so upset about the "24 hour ping/always online thing?" Most of us have a PC or two (or more) at home which are always hooked up to the internet. If you leave your PC on, it will regularly check Microsoft's servers for new Windows updates (or OS X updates on the Mac), so what is the difference? (Even if you don't leave your PC on all the time, it still checks for updates when you turn it on later.)

I am not trying to be contrary... I genuinely want to understand why this is such a big deal.
Imo, it's because I shouldn't need to "check in" with some server to get the OK to play a game. Right now, we could easily pop in a game with our 360/ps3 without having to worry about passing some authentication or even having to be connected to the internet.

Now what if I wanted to take my One on a trip or even camping (yes I've done it with my ps3 camping out with some friends for a few days), it would be useless. Sure I can play it the first night, but that's it, because I won't have internet connection to "check in" with MS servers to get the OK to play a game. A pretty rare and almost ridiculous scenario, but considering I've done it, I can certainly put it into that perspective, again that's just me.

Another scenario would be bringing over the system to a friend's house. What if you hadn't played in +24hrs and you bring it over and boot it up. Well now you gotta connect it to their internet just to get the OK, you can't just plugin and play. And yes, a few of my friends and I, used to bring over an extra ps3 alot whenever we have parties or just hanging out. Couple games of 2k, Madden, or whatever. Some games we needed internet (such as multiplayer Uncharted) to enjoy, but overall if it were just sports game then we didn't, we just take turns. If you don't check in with MS within 24hrs, can't even do that offline.

So yes, in this day and age, internet connectivity is relatively easy and almost always available. However, there are times where some scenarios where an internet connection isn't needed to enjoy your system. Those times of offline gaming are practically dead with the One. It's the fact that we have to take those extra steps (whether it's authenticating or setting up an internet connect and then authenticating) that make it cumbersome and not very user-friendly.

You're right in that a PC is much like the same thing, but that's a PC. In a gaming console I shouldn't have to check in to play a game that I own. I understand why MS went this route, but their restrictions/rules on it are asking a bit much even from the most hardcore of gamers.

Just my .02 on that issue. There are many others as to why I won't be purchasing a One

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You make some excellent and very thoughtful points "dezy." Thanks for your perspective! You have shown us that there are definitely some situations where the Xbox One would be a burden to own.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You make some excellent and very thoughtful points "dezy." Thanks for your perspective!
Np.

I'm sure the One will sell well and that people will eventually forget the 24hr/always connected thing because majority of the users are connected anyway. Even with my ps3, the ethernet cable is always in even if I don't choose to play any games online.

It's just the principle of the idea that irks me and I'm sure it's the same with many others. So yes it's a negative, for now, but eventually it'll be somewhat forgotten and found to be less intrusive than it seems to be. I mean not too many people bring over a game system anymore, as it seems every gamer has one, but again it comes down to the principle of it.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh... and just because this is an Xbox One vs PS4 thread, I will weigh in with my perspective. My answer is both! I like each one for different reasons and will likely eventually get both devices. I don't think you have to hate/disparage one in order to like/appreciate the other.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Np.

I'm sure the One will sell well and that people will eventually forget the 24hr/always connected thing because majority of the users are connected anyway. Even with my ps3, the ethernet cable is always in even if I don't choose to play any games online.

It's just the principle of the idea that irks me and I'm sure it's the same with many others. So yes it's a negative, for now, but eventually it'll be somewhat forgotten and found to be less intrusive than it seems to be. I mean not too many people bring over a game system anymore, as it seems every gamer has one, but again it comes down to the principle of it.

I can definitely see the irksome quality of it. I can't stand seat-belt or helmet laws, even though I wear my seat-belt anyway. I may be irked by them, but I would wear my seat-belt (or helmet if I road a motorcycle) regardless. It's just the principle of the matter that the government is forcing me to do something which harms no-one else but me. My body and what I choose to do with it should be my onus to bear and the law shouldn't obligate me in one way or another as long as my choice doesn't affect anyone else.

You are also correct that DRM is a whole other issue. More than likely all games will eventually move to the digital only model like you find on Steam. However, it looks like MS is trying to move things that direction more quickly with the Xbox One.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think video games will definitely move towards a digital only model, but that may be a few more generations down the road. The fact that when it comes to videogames, console gamers are allowed to share their games whereas most PC games only allow one use due to their CD keys. It's that one thing that has kept the two types of gamers separated and I have a feeling that a few generations down the line we could see a more unified "gaming world".

Nowadays, the industry is partly about "more with less" (i.e., more games without having all the standard discs through digital downloads). However, I think it could hurt the console game industry in that it loses used game sales, should the industry completely move to the digital only model.

MS and the One are definitely pushing towards that direction though, and from what I can tell, majority of console gamers aren't ready for that.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I moved this from the other thread...didnt see the lil note at the bottom...

IMO..its still hoops to jump thru the XBO way. I do like the up to ten family members sharing games. And it is only one family member at a time, because if it wasnt....that 8-9 sales potentially lost. None of the other family on the list would ever buy games, they would just wait for you to buy and share away. I wonder how will MS determine who is my family, cuz I can make some co workers family...lol.

I like the accessing your games from any XBO.

The give games to friends.....that is a hoop that one must jump thru IMO. I give it to him, he has to be a friend for at least 30 days. He cant lend it out. He might have to try to add friends to his family list to lend it to others, if thats possible.

There are some positives to the XBO way tho.... I still think MS coulda went with the partial install. Maybe for shared games its a 100% upload to the cloud.

I just looked at some E3 stuff I had on DVR...

Forza 5, an XBO exclusive, is gonna utilize the online requirements of the XBO alot. The guy mentioned that some or most of the A.I. in the game will be made up of real players around the country, world. He mentioned that you will be able to play offline....but thats only a 24 hour window. I cant see ppl logging in for the check in, then disconnecting from online. Might as well call Forza 5 an MMO....Which brings me back to The Division. That means ppl with the PS4 that want it will have to sign up for PSN+ to play it.

Hearing that about Forza 5...I might like it. Every time you play its different, because the A.I. is based on real players. I have a feeling that more games for the XBO will utilize online more than the PS4. Just seen NFS Rivals...and that game is more what I want: single player, co op and multi player all rolled into one. Demo showed two ppl playing: one as a cop, one as a racer starting different races, events. They wound up meeting... turns out both events were tied together. Then you had someone on a tablet playing as a helicopter.

Last edited: