Would anybody be willing to test out an ICS alpha for the Pro?

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I'm actually making a build now. I added a few things that *may* result in data connectivity. What does that app add to your build.prop?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

It adds the line below:

'ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=*'

Where *=the number of steps you want to add. I did 10 and it got me to normal. You can do any number between 10 and 100.

ngtwolf

Reaction score
Well, I'll give this a shot. I'm sure it's not going to turn out well since I'm running the Gingerbread kernel with the hacked froyo radio on AT&T's GSM... :) Just need to do clockworkmod backup first...

Okay, gave it a try. No way that I can see to enable GSM (the *# gsm switch doesn't work), so that's out. As noted, youtube only works in hq mode (odd) and after watching a short clip, the phone rebooted. Movie studio reboots the phone after trying to create a project (maybe trying to access camera, who knows...). Video playback works fine.. gmail works good. Google search with voice search works (and voice dialing - if i had service..haha). google talk seems to work.

Overall pretty fast. I'll try the other ics that lurker has up to see the difference, if any before I revert back so i can make calls :)

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I feel like a little kid waiting on a Christmas present waiting to hear about a possible data fix :(

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
let's see if this does the trick to get data connectivity to work :)

i also added the volume steps thing and made it equal to 10

a lot of things regarding data were missing from the previous build

make sure to wipe system, cache, and a data wipe is recommended, but not mandatory, but it would help a lot in debugging if you do :)

If you do not have a separate battery it is not recommended that you flash this as we currently have no way to power up the phone if a battery dies so it is imperative that you do not let your battery fully drain on this rom

md5sum: bc329e1fa6159b2862d88d1ebfe3875d
2-5.zip

In order to reboot into recovery do not flash the Droid 2 Bootstrapper! Long press the power button and select reboot, then recovery

BIG EDIT: I've configured the build setup to hide the keyboard while the held portrait, but show it while landscape; however, it was not doing it as i expected it to do so... i looked into the issue and have found out that the gapps that i flashed replaces the keyboard app with a version of its own, which chaged how the virtual keyboard came up and didn't come up... so if you have an issue where the virtual keyboard appears while portrait, it is due to your gapps

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Just flashed that update.

1) Regarding the call volume, it's still low. I might not have given you the correct build.prop addition. It's called Volume+ and is available at the link below if you want to check it out: Volume+ | AndroidAudioHacks

2) Regarding the oncsreen keyboard, it's now gone in portrait and present in landscape. Great job! Here's the file name of the GAPPS I used: gapps-ics-20120201-signed

3) I did wipe data on the install, but my mobile data connection is still not working.

4) GPS is still working - and was on the previous build. Is this not connected to data in anyway?

Let me know if there's anything I can give you to help out with why data might not be working. Could there potentially be something I'm missing in the settings? If you look in the data usage area, it's enabled there.

EDIT: For what it's worth, when I go into Settings > About Phone > Status, it shows Mobile Network State as disconnected, while on the prior build it showed connected, though data wasn't working on that one either.

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Downloading now.

What's the difference between this ICS ROM and the one by _lurker?

OP
J

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Damn. I really thought what I did would do the trick to get data connected. I will remake another build tomorrow and look at other ics roms. Gps should work as it's connected to satellites but it shouldn't update the map if you don't have an internet connection

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Damn. I really thought what I did would do the trick to get data connected. I will remake another build tomorrow and look at other ics roms. Gps should work as it's connected to satellites but it shouldn't update the map if you don't have an internet connection

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

Thanks. I really appreciate you working to get this going.

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Darn...I guess GSM doesn't work at all. I thought it would just be data that didn't work, which would have been fine.

Looks like it's back to CM7 for me. ICS is so beautiful, too. :(

EDIT: _lurker's build seems to work with GSM.

ngtwolf

Reaction score

Would it help at all to look at the Droid 2 Global ICS Roms? Other than the cosmetic differences (screen size and landscape keyboard), I think the internals appear to be nearly identical.

ngtwolf

Reaction score
EDIT: _lurker's build seems to work with GSM.
I'll have to check that forum... I couldn't get GSM to work with yesterdays build from lurker. It seemed like it 'could' work since it saw AT&T for a few seconds until it rebooted itself, but after that I couldn't get it to see it at all.

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
I'll have to check that forum... I couldn't get GSM to work with yesterdays build from lurker. It seemed like it 'could' work since it saw AT&T for a few seconds until it rebooted itself, but after that I couldn't get it to see it at all.

Well, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm not in the U.S. right now, so there's no CDMA network to be found. I had previously been using CM7 on the Pro, and I left the SIM card in while I flashed, so on bootup, the ICS ROM found the GSM network that I use and connected to it. Strangely, in my phone settings, there's not even an option to switch to CDMA. I also have the option to add an APN from within the settings (I think you mentioned you had to use some other app to get that option).

ngtwolf

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm not in the U.S. right now, so there's no CDMA network to be found. I had previously been using CM7 on the Pro, and I left the SIM card in while I flashed, so on bootup, the ICS ROM found the GSM network that I use and connected to it. Strangely, in my phone settings, there's not even an option to switch to CDMA. I also have the option to add an APN from within the settings (I think you mentioned you had to use some other app to get that option).

Interesting. When I first booted up on lurkers build (after trying this build), it briefly showed AT&T in the dropdown, but then before I could do anything it rebooted itself. After the reboot I didn't see anything and it was stuck in CDMA roaming. I also didn't see the APN settings menu (without a trick to go there) but maybe I missed that. I suspect though that since you're not in the US that you're not using the hacked froyo radio?

I saw that my apex build had in the build.prop file to boot up in 7) global mode vs. 4) CDMA mode that is set on this rom. I tried changing that, but it didn't do anything, probably more than just that one setting. Maybe if I knew what the GSM mode was for the build prop, i could try that to force it into GSM mode.

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Interesting. When I first booted up, it briefly showed AT&T in the dropdown, but then before I could do anything it rebooted itself. After the reboot I didn't see anything and it was stuck in CDMA roaming. I also didn't see the APN settings menu (without a trick to go there) but maybe I missed that. I suspect though that since you're not in the US that you're not using the hacked froyo radio?

I saw that my apex build had in the build.prop file to boot up in 7) global mode vs. 4) CDMA mode that is set on this rom. I tried changing that, but it didn't do anything, probably more than just that one setting. Maybe if I knew what the GSM mode was for the build prop, i could try that to force it into GSM mode.

By hacked Froyo radio, do you mean the one that has the baseband unlocked? If so, that is actually the radio I'm using. My US carrier is T-Mobile. That's so weird that it worked for me and not for you.

ngtwolf

Reaction score
By hacked Froyo radio, do you mean the one that has the baseband unlocked? If so, that is actually the radio I'm using. My US carrier is T-Mobile. That's so weird that it worked for me and not for you.
Yup, thats what i meant... The band-unlock was for the froyo radio since they never were able to band unlock the gingerbread radio (thus why i made the pro version of axl's kernel hack so we could use the gingerbread roms).

Anyway, yeah, odd it worked for you and not me. I was using AT&T and not T-Mobile, but I doubt that would make a difference. Oh Well, I'll give it a try again this weekend... maybe they'll have another update by then to play with and i'll spend more time screwing with getting the radio to work.