Will a Siri like app come to android?

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Had it installed for a couple days then uninstalled. It was somewhat accurate and it doesn't run in the background that I can see like vlingo does. At least with vlingo it stays in the notification area while I'm doing something else. I tried the shake feature but it never worked. Anyone have any insight on this?
Unrelated, how can you add new words to the dictionary while typing so it doesn't auto add wrong words? Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

lisalisa13

Reaction score
portermac, I cannot thank you enough for this app suggestion!! While I do love Gladys, I am waiting for the opportunity to get a voice like HAL 9000 and I'll name him Dirty Harry! This thing is freaking amazing! I am going to use her for everything.

Now...I'm off to program everybody's birthday, anniversary and any other special occasion that I'm always forgetting!!

Thanks again!

How do you program bdays,anniversary, etc?

billyk

Reaction score
Had it installed for a couple days then uninstalled. It was somewhat accurate and it doesn't run in the background that I can see like vlingo does. At least with vlingo it stays in the notification area while I'm doing something else. I tried the shake feature but it never worked. Anyone have any insight on this?
Unrelated, how can you add new words to the dictionary while typing so it doesn't auto add wrong words? Thanks

I find that Voice Actions Plus does run in the background, just not reliably. Tell Jeannie to "standby" and she usually does. The shake feature works fine on my Bionic, but I turn it off - which means setting it to zero, accepting that setting, then VAP goes and moves it to 1% mysteriously. Don't know anything about adding words to any related dictionary.

Basically, VAP is just like the Wild West - unexplored, unknown and unpredictable. Little has been defined for sure, little is actually written down, it's unstable, you don't know what it's going to do next, but hey, it's fun.

Ask Jeanne to "Play a game". She can guess what you are thinking with uncanny accuracy.

Agrajag

Reaction score
What a mess in this area. First, let me say I'm not an Apple fan, don't own and iPhone and don't want an iPhone. I own a RAZR and owned an original Droid before that and got both of them on the day they came out. That said, Siri is, so far, unmatched on Android. Any of these posters saying Vlingo is the same or some other app is the same are smoking crack or simply have no clue what they're talking about. Do some simple testing. Ask Vlingo to set your alarm for 10am tomorrow. It'll go search Google for that phrase.

I've also tried, Iris, Andy, Jeannie, Speaktoit and Skyvi (along with a couple others not even worth mentioning) and none of them has been very impressive or effective.

-Iris looks nice but can't do much correctly.
-Andy has some potential but it has an odd interface, few options and is more of a look-up engine than an assistant.
-Jeannie has some okay potential but the interface is bland and it continually crashes the speech engine or the response engine. At least it can set an alarm.
-Speaktoit also has some nice potential, looks nice, etc. But it's slow as molasses and often gets lost in loops of constantly putting up the speech window when I'm not in need of saying anything.
-Skyvi is a total joke. It doesn't seem to answer much of anything.

The bottom line is that I'd LOVE to have this sort of functionality but it simply isn't there yet. Siri isn't old technology. It's based on older concepts but with a very cutting-edge presentation that works. Give credit where it's due and learn from it so that we can get much better apps. As it is now I think we're a good year away. The one I don't get is Vlingo. Go read their blog. It's like they're begging people to make excuses for them. Vlingo has all the potential in my book but they need to go about adding more than just a lookup engine and app launcher. You can't ask Vlingo to set an alarm. You can't ask it a ton of things. If they add that part they've got this nailed. If I were in their shoes I'd have their developers working on that functionality full time right now.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Going out on a limb here but maybe we could get these developers to work together? Sounds like if they were all one product it would be close ;)

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

TatDroid

Reaction score
I don't believe a stand alone app (like Jeanne) will ever be as all encompassing and smooth as a feature that is built into and integrated with the operating system (like Siri). But hey, I'll take what I can get for now.

For me, it's more of an impress-your-friends gimic anyway. It has to be quiet (no other voices around) to work right, and even Siri is hit or miss. Give it time and maybe - eventually - I won't need my keyboard. But not yet.

GeekInTraining

Reaction score
Be sure to post back and let us know how you like it! I have turned about seven people onto it in the last three hours!

OMG! I just dl and and somehow sent the following text to a friend: text gay how are you to which he replied: Huh? I got some explaining to do tomorrow!!!!

marleyinoc

Reaction score
What a mess in this area...

The bottom line is .. Give credit where it's due and learn from it...

Who the #$&& are you to ridicule our mess! ;)

Bottom like is 1000 monkeys typing 1000 years.... yada. Apple is treating this like the holy grail so some comeuppance is warranted in my opinion. But take those 1000 monkeys, err a slew of programmers and a buku of processing power with I assume some api's from well performing platforms like wolfram apple, and pull the plug and you have a ton of ifans looking stupid showing off their new girlfriend (seriously I have had that happen so often on android or any tech that I had to feel for them) ... my point? My point!

You're right Android isn't there yet. Nor really is apple and dangling Siri out there as incentive to buy 4S is shameful in my opinion... though if you throw that mich money and resources at it I gues you need to get rewarded... and that is what happened. This is not new tech and with alot less money android devs have done it so.... do i get a boner for 4S because it is exclusive to it?

Only if I am oblivious. Sure we're making a mess and being androids... but. Um. It's we're performing a public service.

Tongue firmly in aosp

Sent from my secret lair.

Edit: sorry for grammar. Will fix when on pc. One handed and preoccupied... no disrespect intended by grammar or content. Just joshing a bit!

Agrajag

Reaction score
Apple knows marketing and trends and this one is dead-on. The reason so many people are taken with it is that it's so incredibly appealing. It's what's been hinted at since the first episodes of the original Star Trek. Speak a request and, presto, the "computer" (that will sound so antiquated shortly) will take care of the rest no matter what it is.

As far as whether it's shameful, well, I can understand why you feel that way but as a marketing guy myself it seems like a typical approach. The 4S without Siri is pretty bland. With Siri suddenly it has some reason for being (perceptually). However, you do repeat the same refrain that this isn't new and that Android devs with a lot less money have matched it. As I pointed out neither of those statements is accurate. They've moved the bar with Siri. People will no longer accept what Android does now as being up to speed and what Android devs has done is not currently even close to what Siri is doing as I laid out.

I, for one, would love to have an app that's equal to Siri. Frankly, I think we can do a lot better but we haven't and that's the point.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Found an app similar to Siri and they claim to be a bit better: Cluzee
[video=youtube;SeDZ4Trn_jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeDZ4Trn_jk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Gonna try it out, hopefully some other members try it out and give their opinions.

mcgrunt42

Reaction score
Not compatible with bionic and I've never seen so many 1 star ratings on any app. Alot of them say jeannie is better. I like jeannie much better than vlingo

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

sstrool

Reaction score
If you give her a name, she will remember it lol.
I just asked, what is your name, she said Angie (the name I gave her).
I said Holy sh*t, she responded, I am glad you are impressed.

F'in awesome!

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Found an app similar to Siri and they claim to be a bit better: Cluzee
[video=youtube;SeDZ4Trn_jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeDZ4Trn_jk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Gonna try it out, hopefully some other members try it out and give their opinions.

Will check it out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk