Why Does The Note 8 Have A Smaller Battery?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-note-8-3729-049-jpg.77807

One of the biggest complaints I have heard regarding the Note 8 is that it has a smaller 3300mah battery. This is less than the 3500mah found in the Galaxy S8+. The Note 7 of last year had a 3500mah battery which ended up being a bit too ambitious. Samsung's Mobile Chief DJ Koh has already addressed this concern. He says that the Note 8 will still have better battery life than last years Note 7 thanks to the more power efficient Snapdragon 835. The new chip is indeed 30% more power efficient.

The smaller battery allows for a slimmer sleeker device. Chips are being developed on a 7nm process for next year. Those chips will be even more efficient. The Galaxy S9 and Note 9 may even end up having smaller batteries. I personally wouldn't mind a larger thicker phone which included a larger battery especially if the processor is more efficient.

via theinvestor

Attachments

• galaxy-note-8-3729-049.jpg
    galaxy-note-8-3729-049.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,578

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
You put the thing into a case so sleek doesn't matter. Give me a battery that lasts as long as i need it to!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will the extra ram been able to help compensate to where it performs on par with the s8+.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
People complained about the smaller battery in the Z2 Force also, before it was released. It is smaller than last year's Z Force. But we have seen reports here, from our own members, that it is getting excellent battery life and massive SOT usage. I would imagine the Note 8 will be similar, and wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
as long as the phone itself is power efficient, it should not matter too much as how small the battery is. some of the smaller batteries are just much more efficient because of the cpu that is in the phone.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
People complained about the smaller battery in the Z2 Force also, before it was released. It is smaller than last year's Z Force. But we have seen reports here, from our own members, that it is getting excellent battery life and massive SOT usage. I would imagine the Note 8 will be similar, and wouldn't worry too much about it.

My sister in law got herself z2 force and I was able to hold it in hand today. With incipio battery pack attached it's about the size of droid turbo 2, thickness wise. Without battery pack, it's the stupidest phone I've ever seen. It's the sickness of car window glass and ginormous camera bump which is about half the thickness phone itself.
Great phone when something is attached to it, but it's sold without even a snap on back! Don't know Wtf moto is thinking.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, frankly I want to see more complaining about this. Everyone jumped on Motorola about this and as has been said, battery life is BETTER on the Z2 then it is on the Z. But it's Samsung. It's ok now. :rolleyes:

I love my Z2 Force, Xeene. With the battery back (which I rarely use) it's thicker then a T2 by a few mm. No, it didn't come with a back, And for good reason, I think. What a waste that would be. Most people put their phones in a case. A case that doesn't need the back on it. Or they have mods attached. I got a back... from a Moto Z using co-worker...because she has a case and doesn't need it. And I used that back... for about 3 days before I stopped. Now I carry it with no back. I love it. It's so damn thin. People can't believe how thin it is. and not one person has said "ohhh...the camera sticks out". Meh... also doesn't bother me.

Don't be dissing my Z2 brother. hehehe ;)

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I'd be worried about is getting damaged around the camera bump while sitting on my desk. That's why I use a case on my V10. The area around the camera scratches really easy.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I'd be worried about is getting damaged around the camera bump while sitting on my desk. That's why I use a case on my V10. The area around the camera scratches really easy.

I have owned several phones in the past with camera bumps and that was never an issue.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As long as the new goal continues to be thin, thinner, thinnest phone on the market we can expect skinny phones with smaller batteries. Pretty soon they will be so thin we will all look like Tony Stark.

90fbe58e288c257ccba81cbfc0e13d8f.jpg

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I have owned several phones in the past with camera bumps and that was never an issue.
I scratched the heck out of the camera bump on my V10 by having it setting on my desk with no case. The bump is flat, shiny, and appears to be aluminum so is scratched quite easily.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Saw this video that helped explain why the battery size may not be as important as battery efficiency. It will be interesting to see just how well the 3300 will perform compared to the S8+'s 3500.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk