When to power off

Reaction score
New Droid user and I'm confused about one thing: is this device supposed to remain ON or in STANDBY mode all the time. People keep saying not to turn off the Droid at night because that is, in essence, a reboot and constant reboots aren't good for the Droid. Not sure what to do.

As a sidenote, everything works great on the Droid: apps, email, etc.

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
New Droid user and I'm confused about one thing: is this device supposed to remain ON or in STANDBY mode all the time. People keep saying not to turn off the Droid at night because that is, in essence, a reboot and constant reboots aren't good for the Droid. Not sure what to do.

Thanks

You can turn your Droid off anytime you want except if you are charging it. For some reason that makes it stay on. It doesn't create a "constant reboot." I turn mine off sometimes once a day just to let it get things straightened up. Sometimes it lags and I reboot when that happens too.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
People keep saying not to turn off the Droid at night because that is, in essence, a reboot and constant reboots aren't good for the Droid.
Interesting. I don't think I've seen people say that. I have seen people state that regular battery pulls aren't a practical necessity like they are on other devices.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks

You can turn your Droid off anytime you want except if you are charging it. For some reason that makes it stay on. It doesn't create a "constant reboot." I turn mine off sometimes once a day just to let it get things straightened up. Sometimes it lags and I reboot when that happens too.

Same thing here. I reboot it once every couple days. Usually it's after i've installed a few updates. I reboot it just to make sure everything plays nice. While you may not HAVE to do that, i do it just as a precaution. If you just sit there and reboot your phone all day, it MAY have an impact on it, but i doubt it. You can turn it off, whenever you see fit.

qoncept

Reaction score
People keep saying not to turn off the Droid at night because that is, in essence, a reboot and constant reboots aren't good for the Droid.
Wow, really? Those people are idiots.

Turn it off when you want. If it's running like crap and killing a bunch of tasks doesn't help (which has never happened for me), or there's some goofy setting you can't figure out how to unset, reboot it. Otherwise, it won't need it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
treat it like any other cell phone.

do you turn it off when you sleep? do you leave it on 24/7?

the droid has proven to perform steady when on for days or even weeks without a reboot.

it's really up to you if you want to reboot it or not. I personally reboot it every other day, i see it as like a computer, it might slow down a bit through the long haul, but it's proven to be more than capable.

OP
Howsthisthingwork
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the guidance.

I should have clarified in my original post that "...people keep saying..." weren't on this forum, but rather personal friends and self-proclaimed tech wizards.

Chrisb27

Reaction score
I basically treat my Droid like my desktop, it only gets a reboot when it acts up.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
^+1
What Hook said. Rebooting causes no long-term problems with the phone (don't know what idiot told you otherwise) and can at times improve performance (though not in any way that you couldn't do via other methods).

backlash

Reaction score
I usually reboot my phone via shift + alt + del when I need to put it on the charger. I only charge the phone like every 2.5 days though. I don't charge it every night like most people on here.

crspang

Reaction score
Personally, I think it would just be a PIA to power down every night. I power down and reboot every now and then but thats usually because I've updated the ROM I'm running.