Battery Drain - WHEN OFF

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Trever1t, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Trever1t

Trever1t New Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/2712-droid-battery-used-when-phone-off.html

Repeatedly I charged the MDroid, power OFF at night, wake up and have a 100% charge....until this morning when my battery level read 60%!!

Is there any more info on battery drain when completely turned OFF???

Again, not talking about sleep mode or standby, I mean powered off.

This needs to be addressed by Motorola and Verizon, many people travel and shut down their phones, fully expecting the charge to hold for use when needed.
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Trever the same thing happened to me. Its very strange and I have not been able to find any info on this.

What I do now is just leave the device on overnight and it barely discharges.

I'm going to shut down tonite and see what happens
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. 808droid

808droid New Member

I stopped turning it off at night because I noticed the same thing, especially after a full charge before going to bed. Now I just leave it on and kill all running apps, when I awake it is still on full charge...weird, I thought when the phone is off it would be better, apparently not with the DROID.
  4. Trever1t

Trever1t New Member

this is a DEFECT and needs to be addressed. I routinely ride my bike with phone off for long distances, like weekend camping trips etc and need the phone to hold a charge when off so I have it available if needed for emergency calls from the road.

None of the other little quirks bug me but if this is how it is.....I really don't want to return this phone, I love it otherwise. :(
  5. cereal killer

Trevor why not just leave your phone in standby/sleepmode while you are riding? Put it on silent if you don't want to be bothered.

It will "fix" the problem you are experiencing.
  6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Strange. I turn my Droid off every night and have never seen a battery drain. Wonder if this will be addressed on 12/11.
  7. cereal killer

Yeah it's very strange. It happened once to me. When it happened i decided that night I would leave it on and see if it discharged (it did not) so ever since I have left it on.
  8. BigBob

BigBob New Member

I had my Droid for only a few days before leaving for Europe for 8 days. I took it along (knowing I wouldn't be able to use it) so that I could get important messages at the airport upon returning home (like where my car was parked by a friend). Imagine my dismay when I had zero battery left after not having turned it on even once. Is the only sure fire answer to remove the battery???
  9. Trever1t

Trever1t New Member

Because I ride 3 to 4 days at a time. I went to Verizon today they replaced the battery. ..we'll see how this works.
  10. zmeflyby

zmeflyby New Member

Maybe you need to remove the battery next time....which is dumb. But that might be the only way to keep the battery life.

I also experienced this battery drain when I was on the plane for 2 and 1/2 hours flying back home. It dropped 10%!!
  11. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

I'd appreciate it if you'd kill those Droid images in your sig on the bottom of your posts. They don't add anything to content, and they're distracting.

I've already killed them with Adblock, but you ought to just eliminate them, for more gracious living.
  12. Trever1t

Trever1t New Member

Who are you referring to??

Anyway. I made a note with. Verizon and will try the new battery...I. can't imagine what Droid does after I go to sleep to drain the battery.:)
  13. 808droid

808droid New Member

Actually if you are referring to the Moderator, only they are allowed to post Banners. It's a pretty cool banner and I think it actually adds value to this forum.:greendroid:
  14. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Lithium-Ion batteries will loose charge if they are doing nothing and turned off. This is not a defect this is how the batteries work as of current technology. Though this should be a very minute amount of charge, which shouldn't really be noticed.

At a 40% loss overnight though, i would recommend that you either go to your closest verizon store or call up their support and request a new battery. The most you should loose for a new battery overnight while a unit is off, should be maybe at tops 2%. Most likely 1% or less. If you leave it off for a couple of days though you might see more of an effect.
  15. zmeflyby

zmeflyby New Member

1-2%??

Are you just spitting out numbers or have you experienced this?
  16. Donkey Hodie

Donkey Hodie New Member

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Lithium-ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect. They also have a self-discharge rate of approximately 5-10% per month
  17. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

This is the same thing my laptop does. After re reading it, i should have more clearly stated that, keeping the phone off the charger and off, most likely will never dip past 1%, but if it did anything past 2%, i would get weary of the battery. If you leave your phone off for a couple days it will not be at 100%, that's just how batteries work. There was another article here, and one of the links from it explained it in alot better detail. I can't find it at the moment though.

The same thing happens in my laptop, if i leave it off, which i do occasionally, for a couple of days when i pop it back on, it will not be at 100%. The main point though was that batteries will drain even when not on, but 40% was way too much.
  18. Terra

Terra New Member

WTF, below is info pasted from wikipedia, it appears the excessive heat that the droid sometimes produces may be causing the battery to age rapidly. Of major interest is the explanation of the self discharge actually being permanent loss of capacity!
    • Lithium-ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect. They also have a self-discharge rate of approximately 5-10% per month, compared with over 30% per month in common nickel metal hydride batteries, approx. 1.25% per month for Low Self-Discharge NiMH batteries and 10% per month in nickel-cadmium batteries.[31] According to one manufacturer, Li-ion cells (and, accordingly, "dumb" Li-ion batteries) do not have any self-discharge in the usual meaning of this word.[21] What looks like a self-discharge in these batteries is a permanent loss of capacity (see below). On the other hand, "smart" Li-ion batteries do self-discharge, mainly due to the small constant drain of the built-in voltage monitoring circuit.
    [edit] Disadvantages of traditional Li-ion technology

[edit] Shelf life

• A disadvantage of lithium-ion cells lies in their relatively poor cycle life: upon every (re)charge, deposits form inside the electrolyte that inhibit lithium ion transport, resulting in the capacity of the cell to diminish. The increase in internal resistance affects the cell's ability to deliver current, thus the problem is more pronounced in high-current than low-current applications. The increasing capacity hit means that a full charge in an older battery will not last as long as one in a new battery (although the charging time required decreases proportionally, as well).
    • Also, high charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether resulting from charging or being ambient) hasten permanent capacity loss for lithium-ion batteries.[32][33] The heat generated during a charge cycle is caused by the traditional carbon anode, which has been replaced with good results by lithium titanate. Lithium titanate has been experimentally shown to drastically reduce the degenerative effects associated with charging, including expansion and other factors.[34] See "Improvements of lithium-ion technology" below.
    • At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 °C or 77 °F will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However, a battery in a poorly ventilated laptop may be subject to a prolonged exposure to much higher temperatures, which will significantly shorten its life. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively.[35][citation needed]
    • Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted below their minimum voltage (2.4 to 2.8 V/cell, depending on chemistry). If a lithium-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk that the charge will drop below the low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverable dead battery.[citation needed] Usually this does not instantly damage the battery itself but a charger or device which uses that battery will refuse to charge a dead battery. The battery appears to be dead or not existent because the protection circuit disables further discharging and there is zero voltage on the battery terminals.
    • Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator.[citation needed]
    • Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures.[38]
  19. silverx10

silverx10 New Member

I'd imagine so, yeah. Though I'm not entirely sure what malevolent forces are at work draining certain batteries in certain phones whilst offline but leaving others just fine... I do know that while the leads from batteries are currently interfacing with a conductive material, they'll... well... discharge.

At least... 's the principle I learned with typical non-rechargeable types.
  20. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Doesn't matter if the battery is in the unit, out of the unit, it will still drain at the same rate. The drainage rate is independent of whether or not it's in something. It may drain faster though if in something. I have tested this with my laptop battery. The drain still occurred even if the battery was not in the laptop.
Search tags for this page
android battery drain wheh power off
android battery drain when power off

android battery drain while off

android phone drain battery whrn shut odd
android power drain phone off
android power off battery drain
bionic battery discharge drain when powered off

droid battery drain when off

droid bionic battery drains when phone off

droid does battery drain when phone is off

motorola droid battery drain off