When to power off

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Howsthisthingwork, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Howsthisthingwork

Howsthisthingwork New Member

New Droid user and I'm confused about one thing: is this device supposed to remain ON or in STANDBY mode all the time. People keep saying not to turn off the Droid at night because that is, in essence, a reboot and constant reboots aren't good for the Droid. Not sure what to do.

As a sidenote, everything works great on the Droid: apps, email, etc.

Thanks
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You can turn your Droid off anytime you want except if you are charging it. For some reason that makes it stay on. It doesn't create a "constant reboot." I turn mine off sometimes once a day just to let it get things straightened up. Sometimes it lags and I reboot when that happens too.
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Interesting. I don't think I've seen people say that. I have seen people state that regular battery pulls aren't a practical necessity like they are on other devices.
  4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Same thing here. I reboot it once every couple days. Usually it's after i've installed a few updates. I reboot it just to make sure everything plays nice. While you may not HAVE to do that, i do it just as a precaution. If you just sit there and reboot your phone all day, it MAY have an impact on it, but i doubt it. You can turn it off, whenever you see fit.
  5. qoncept

qoncept New Member

Wow, really? Those people are idiots.

Turn it off when you want. If it's running like crap and killing a bunch of tasks doesn't help (which has never happened for me), or there's some goofy setting you can't figure out how to unset, reboot it. Otherwise, it won't need it.
  6. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

treat it like any other cell phone.

do you turn it off when you sleep? do you leave it on 24/7?

the droid has proven to perform steady when on for days or even weeks without a reboot.

it's really up to you if you want to reboot it or not. I personally reboot it every other day, i see it as like a computer, it might slow down a bit through the long haul, but it's proven to be more than capable.
  7. Howsthisthingwork

Howsthisthingwork New Member

Thanks to all for the guidance.

I should have clarified in my original post that "...people keep saying..." weren't on this forum, but rather personal friends and self-proclaimed tech wizards.
  8. Chrisb27

Chrisb27 New Member

I basically treat my Droid like my desktop, it only gets a reboot when it acts up.
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+1
    What Hook said. Rebooting causes no long-term problems with the phone (don't know what idiot told you otherwise) and can at times improve performance (though not in any way that you couldn't do via other methods).
  10. backlash

backlash New Member

I usually reboot my phone via shift + alt + del when I need to put it on the charger. I only charge the phone like every 2.5 days though. I don't charge it every night like most people on here.
  11. crspang

crspang New Member

Personally, I think it would just be a PIA to power down every night. I power down and reboot every now and then but thats usually because I've updated the ROM I'm running.
Search tags for this page

how to power off droid 2

how to turn off power of droid razr m