What's Causing the delay of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1831

Reaction score
Back in 2003, I purchased a phone known only as the NEC 515 HDM. Back then, AT&T Wireless was a separate, prepaid-only provider, having nothing to do with-then AT&T/Cingular. The NEC 515 HDM was not sold by anyone in the US, I had to buy it directly from NEC, and I did so because at the time it had the best screen quality. AT&T couldn't stop me from buying that phone. They COULD stop me from activating it on their network, but they didn't.

Verizon has every right to prevent activation of any device they choose. They have the right to not sell me a phone under contract. They have the right to prevent retailers from selling the phones with contracts. But buying an unsub phone is the same thing as taking a credit union check to the local Ford dealer and buying a Focus without financing it. Once it's paid for, Ford has no say-so in what I do with that car.

So no, I don't agree that Verizon should have say-so over me PURCHASING an unsub device. I'm fine with them preventing me from activating it until they allow it, but I should be able to buy it at full price if I chose to, and retailers should be able to sell it if they chose to, unless Google says not to (since Google is the one who owns the hardware).

mmmk?

Any why should you be able to purchase as device with or without a contract that a carrier hasn't released?

vaeron

Reaction score
For now. The problem will be when they stop offering the "double your data" and start throttling over 2gb, and your only option is to step up to the $50 5GB plan.

Trust me, it is coming.

What does that have anything to do with those of us with unlimited plans? I've never been throttled when going over 2GB. the 2GB is only for those who are not on the unlimited data plan. The double your data doesn't affect any of us. We are grandfathered in and will be sitting at unlimited data regardless of their double data promo.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
If this is indeed true, I wonder if this will have an effect on the timeliness of updates. That was my main cause of concern about this device anyhow, how would the update process work? Meaning will the update come from Google directly about the same time the other GNs get the update. Or will the update get sent to Verizon for testing first, then after a few weeks of testing it gets sent to the devices?

Either way I imagine this device will receive updates in a more timely manner than any other phone.

captdroid

Reaction score
If this is indeed true, I wonder if this will have an effect on the timeliness of updates. That was my main cause of concern about this device anyhow, how would the update process work? Meaning will the update come from Google directly about the same time the other GNs get the update. Or will the update get sent to Verizon for testing first, then after a few weeks of testing it gets sent to the devices?

Either way I imagine this device will receive updates in a more timely manner than any other phone.

Since the Galaxy Nexus boot loader (the one on Verizon) is easily unlocked really doesn't matter since the user can load up whatever ROM and Kernel they wish, and of course have root.

revelated

Reaction score
Any why should you be able to purchase as device with or without a contract that a carrier hasn't released?

Because the device has NOTHING to do with the carrier until I put a SIM card in it or activate it on their network. If it's not active on their network, I should still be able to buy and own it. It'll work over Wi-Fi until Verizon is ready to allow activation. But then at least I can own the phone, get used to its menus and options, and go from there BEFORE being forced into any sort of agreement.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Galaxy Nexus release by Verizon = Epic Fail

Would not surprise me if Verizon canceled the phone entirely and had all of them shipped back at this point. And then proceeded to turn off a few people activated GN's they happen to buy already and demand they be returned to the store.

I seriously doubt, contractually, VZW can do that. They likely have already committed to 500k, maybe 1M, units. They're on the hook for those, whether they choose to sell them or not. And obviously they won't be eating $250-500M. Samsung doesn't just crank off 500k units and then wait for VZW to decide if it wants to sell them or not.

sb1831

Reaction score
Because the device has NOTHING to do with the carrier until I put a SIM card in it or activate it on their network. If it's not active on their network, I should still be able to buy and own it. It'll work over Wi-Fi until Verizon is ready to allow activation. But then at least I can own the phone, get used to its menus and options, and go from there BEFORE being forced into any sort of agreement.

So it is a carrier specific version of the phone, which was contracted by VZW for VZW and you should be able to buy the phone BEFORE it is even released if they decide to push the release date back after the handset arrives in stores? Do you believe this even though the handset has NEVER been released for sale? You're saying you should be able to buy a phone that's not on sale?

If this is what you're saying, I would like to congratulate you for the most ridiculous reasoning ever.

codykeck

Reaction score
I was at Verizon today asking about the galaxy nexus and he guaranteed me that it was coming out on December 15. In fact, he was so confident that he said if it doesn't come out on the 15th he would give me the phone at no charge. So it sounds legit.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
I was at Verizon today asking about the galaxy nexus and he guaranteed me that it was coming out on December 15. In fact, he was so confident that he said if it doesn't come out on the 15th he would give me the phone at no charge. So it sounds legit.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Did you get that in writing? lol

captdroid

Reaction score
I seriously doubt, contractually, VZW can do that. They likely have already committed to 500k, maybe 1M, units. They're on the hook for those, whether they choose to sell them or not. And obviously they won't be eating $250-500M. Samsung doesn't just crank off 500k units and then wait for VZW to decide if it wants to sell them or not.

Yea the "early termination" fee Verizon might incur probably not worth bailing out at this point unless it's really serious ;)

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
lol, yea if that mgr wants his job you won't be getting a free Nexus. lol

codykeck

Reaction score
Haha no. But I signed for ordering this phone so I get it no matter what so i don't really care if its free. I just want the phone

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea the "early termination" fee Verizon might incur probably not worth bailing out at this point unless it's really serious ;)

Yeah, still it is curious that it was supposedly full go on the 9th and then a last-second delay. Sounds to me like the Google Wallet thing is probably right. Only explanation to hold something up like that at last minute, really, would be a contractual dispute with ISIS (or vice-versa with Google). Although it could have been the LTE outage. But if it's a contractual issue, there's no way of guaranteeing this is a go on the 15th.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
They've never said you WILL be throttled over 2gigs....They've said you COULD be throttled if you're in the top-5% of users. Also, might only be during peak times. I don't think they'll throttle anyone under 5 gigs, which is A LOT of data. Plus, it's not much of a customer loyalty/retention program to grandfather people and then make it unuseable over 2gigs. I promise that program was never really intended to hit anyone other than heavy tetherers using it as an ISP.

They want people off of the Unlimited data plans, plain and simple. They will start throttling, and they will push you off of them and onto the tiered plans. It is not in their best interests to let you have Unlimited data.

Status
Not open for further replies.