What's Causing the delay of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want to know why VZW even has this phone.

The sole purpose of the Nexus line is to have "pure google". That, historically, has meant no bloat, no delays, no restrictions, etc... And yet, Verizon has added all of those things into the mix...

The killer would be if the Nexus came with a locked bootloader. I mean, VZW has taken the stance of not allowing unlocked phones on their network, because of "security and data integrity concerns"... Moto decides to start unlocking their encrypted bootloaders, but no, VZW mandates that they keep them locked on US phones.

If VZW doesn't want unlocked phones on their network and has taken such a hard line stance on that, why the hell would they have the Nexus? And if they allow that, why won't they allow our other phones to be unlocked?

It makes no sense. I think that they wanted the Nexus for the marketing potential, but they really don't want the phone or want to truly offer all that it stands for...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Huh? I hit 10 GB last month. My speeds are fine.

For now. The problem will be when they stop offering the "double your data" and start throttling over 2gb, and your only option is to step up to the $50 5GB plan.

Trust me, it is coming.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
My sources say the Galaxy Nexus will launch 2 months before it's successor, the Nexus 4 with Jelly Bean making it's debut. :D

Reaction score
I finally decided to pick up the Droid Razr last night from Verizon and just couldn't wait anymore for the Samsung Nexus and the Droid 4. The Verizon rep I know said they had them in the back but couldn't show me the actual demo since it wasn't launched yet, but showed me the dummy. It seemed like he was leaning towards the Nexus and he did tell me that it would be launched on the 15th. I've know and bough phones from the rep for the past 3 years, so I know he wouldn't be pulling my chain.

riko540

Reaction score
I think the Galaxy Nexus is going to wind up being a massive fail. Between this and the article I read on xda-developers about some the the Nexus Galaxy's not being directly controlled by Google like the last 2 Nexus phones. I'm really starting to if its a true Nexus phone. The NFC thing I could care less about its a neat concept but not practical not to mention the huge security flaw that allows someone with a receiver to pick up the information transmitted by the phone if they are close enough.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I still think it is still going to be the best phone. I just really hope VZ doesn't mess it up with the locked bootloader. I think they're trying to appeal to all the OG people that are major modders, I think they know better than to mess with them.
I mean, even if it's not an "official" nexus, its going to be like the OG... Basically stock with an unlocked bootloader! :)

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I finally decided to pick up the Droid Razr last night from Verizon and just couldn't wait anymore for the Samsung Nexus and the Droid 4. The Verizon rep I know said they had them in the back but couldn't show me the actual demo since it wasn't launched yet, but showed me the dummy. It seemed like he was leaning towards the Nexus and he did tell me that it would be launched on the 15th. I've know and bough phones from the rep for the past 3 years, so I know he wouldn't be pulling my chain.

Impatient folks doing this is justifying Verizon holding the nexus more. At least give them an impression the Razr sales are not strong.. maybe they will feel more compelled to release the nexus.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Verizon is starting to get like Apple... they need to stop trying to control everything.

Once again, I thought I was purchasing an Android phone, not a dang iPhone.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon has always wanted control. They just need to get over the fact that can't control everything. This is Google's phone and it's not something for them to mess with or else Verizon won't get another Nexus phone.

dracos

Reaction score
Honestly after this debacle I doubt they will get another one. Look at what happened with the original nexus that we never saw on verizon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For now. The problem will be when they stop offering the "double your data" and start throttling over 2gb, and your only option is to step up to the $50 5GB plan.

Trust me, it is coming.

They've never said you WILL be throttled over 2gigs....They've said you COULD be throttled if you're in the top-5% of users. Also, might only be during peak times. I don't think they'll throttle anyone under 5 gigs, which is A LOT of data. Plus, it's not much of a customer loyalty/retention program to grandfather people and then make it unuseable over 2gigs. I promise that program was never really intended to hit anyone other than heavy tetherers using it as an ISP.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I doubt VZW really cares about a Google phone. Perhaps they wanted to throw a bone to the OG Droid users, but I think the appeal of this phone for them was much more about being the first to have ICS.

They really aren't at a loss for getting good phones. Also, the root/hacking community are probably the least profitable customers for VZW. These are the people who won't touch VZW bloatware (other than to uninstall) and also 99% of the tether abusers. Probably less than 1% of their customer base and I just doubt they care that much about us.

I'd be the same way if I were VZW. Whine all you want, they're #1 in customer service and have easily the best network in the US. I couldn't care less about you.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt VZW really cares about a Google phone. Perhaps they wanted to throw a bone to the OG Droid users, but I think the appeal of this phone for them was much more about being the first to have ICS.

They really aren't at a loss for getting good phones. Also, the root/hacking community are probably the least profitable customers for VZW. These are the people who won't touch VZW bloatware (other than to uninstall) and also 99% of the tether abusers. Probably less than 1% of their customer base and I just doubt they care that much about us.

I'd be the same way if I were VZW. Whine all you want, they're #1 in customer service and have easily the best network in the US. I couldn't care less about you.
They care a lot actually. If they didn't, they wouldn't be trying to fight Google Wallet so much. And they do know they would lose a good phone if they couldn't release this. That's why back in September, every Verizon exec. was ranting and raving about this phone. There are going to be a lot of people who want this phone. This phone has been publicized way more than you are making it out to be. You make it seem like every person is ignorant and blind of android which is hardly the case. There are tons of people who know all about android phones and about the nexus phones. Verizon knows this.

And just because they're rated #1 doesn't mean they're doing a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.