What's Causing the delay of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
They want people off of the Unlimited data plans, plain and simple. They will start throttling, and they will push you off of them and onto the tiered plans. It is not in their best interests to let you have Unlimited data.

Always a conspiracy, the man trying to bring you down.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
But you can still use as much data as you want regardless of throttling. They're not gonna be like "oh you went over 2 gb, were gonna block all your data now"

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Yeah, but at 56k dial-up speeds, how long would you tolerate that before you got disgusted and just went and got a higher tiered plan?

This isn't an assumption, this will happen. They have already outlined the new policy that says that they can and will start doing this. Just because it hasn't happened to YOUR phone, yet, doesn't mean that it won't.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
What does that have anything to do with those of us with unlimited plans? I've never been throttled when going over 2GB. the 2GB is only for those who are not on the unlimited data plan. The double your data doesn't affect any of us. We are grandfathered in and will be sitting at unlimited data regardless of their double data promo.

Not true. VZW released a new policy a couple months ago where they can start throttling Unlimited users in "congested areas" that go over 2GB. They can throttle you got that month and the next month.

I have learned one thing about VZW and corporations in general... don't take these policies at face value. They word it in such a way as to sound like it will only affect "the abusers", etc... so that people don't throw a fit when they announce these changes. But the reality is that they get to "interpret" and apply those rules as they see fit, and they can change it at any time.

They get to define what they consider "congested"... And by saying "top 5%", that is also misleading. top 5% is a sliding scale, so today you might say that top 5% means that only people at 20gb and over are in that class, so you are "safe". The problem with that is that as those people get throttled, they will use less data, meaning that as the months progress, the "top 5%" will start sliding down the scale, making that top bracket smaller and smaller, until the guys that were at 10gb and thought they were safe, are now in that top 5% and they are getting throttled, and then they cannot get as much data so the average data consumption drops to 9GB, and so on, and so on.

That is why the "top 5%" is so misleading, because it is not a hard number. It is a sliding, and self-correcting scale designed to take the average down over a span of months, rather than just saying, "Anyone over this XYZ amount will be throttled" and having 10,000 angry phone calls from pissed off customers.

Snow02

Reaction score
Yeah, but at 56k dial-up speeds, how long would you tolerate that before you got disgusted and just went and got a higher tiered plan?

This isn't an assumption, this will happen. They have already outlined the new policy that says that they can and will start doing this. Just because it hasn't happened to YOUR phone, yet, doesn't mean that it won't.

And just because you say it will, doesn't make it so. It is in Verizon's interest to maintain the fastest throughput possible for every customer (bulk tetherers aside). They were just getting in front of the smartphone explosion by moving to tiered plans. The relative percentage of those on unlimited plans is going to be miniscule within the next couple of years. It's not going anywhere. Verizon is raking in profits and they're adding capacity at a ridiculous rate. There's no reason to instigate the PR disaster that would be wrecking grandfathered data plans.

The sky isn't falling, so stop claiming it is.

Now where's my nexus.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Always a conspiracy, the man trying to bring you down.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Conspiracy? Really? So my thinking that they are implementing throttling on Unlimited users is a Conspiracy, even though Verizon came out and publically stated that they intend to do this?

Fascinating...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
And just because you say it will, doesn't make it so. It is in Verizon's interest to maintain the fastest throughput possible for every customer (bulk tetherers aside). They were just getting in front of the smartphone explosion by moving to tiered plans. The relative percentage of those on unlimited plans is going to be miniscule within the next couple of years. It's not going anywhere. Verizon is raking in profits and they're adding capacity at a ridiculous rate. There's no reason to instigate the PR disaster that would be wrecking grandfathered data plans.

The sky isn't falling, so stop claiming it is.

Now where's my nexus.

I didn't say it was falling. I simply read the new policy that they published where they said that they were going to do this.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Imma say to maximize sales of other current phones or Google Wallet. Maybe other current phones are having better than expected sales? Could be some issue with LTE. Since this is a Nexus....would the updates conspiracy with the Galaxy S1 still be in play? Or that doesnt matter since its a Nexus?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Conspiracy? Really? So my thinking that they are implementing throttling on Unlimited users is a Conspiracy, even though Verizon came out and publically stated that they intend to do this?

Fascinating...

No you saying Verizon is trying to push everyone off unlimited data is the conspiracy. If they wanted everyone off they could have just said at the end of your 2 year contract you HAVE to take a tiered plan.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/verizon-begins-throttling-service-for-remaining-unlimited-3g-customers/4522

[URL="http://backtoreality.com/unlimited-data-plan-on-verizon-means-throttle"]http://backtoreality.com/unlimited-data-plan-on-verizon-means-throttle

[URL="http://www.todaysiphone.com/2011/09/verizon-throttling-top-5-of-unlimited-data-users/"]http://www.todaysiphone.com/2011/09/verizon-throttling-top-5-of-unlimited-data-users/

[/URL][/URL]I could list another dozen sources, but you get the picture. I know, I know, it says 3G...

And 7 months ago they said that they had no intentions of messing with the Unlimited plans at all. Now we know that by "not restricting Unlimited plans", they meant, well, we will limit and restrict 3G...

The point is, they want Unlimited plans gone. They said no plans to limit them, and then barely 6 months later they start limits.

But you guys think it is ok because "it's just 3G", forgetting that a few months ago it wasn't supposed to be ANY plan.

You guys say, "But it is only the top 5%" but haven't actually considered the math, and that as people get throttled, their data usage drops, so if the top 5% was 20gb a month, as they get hit and use less data, the top 5% will now be a lower amount, and as the top 5% keep getting throttled, that number will get lower, and lower.

It's not a conspiracy, it is their publically stated goal and simple math... LOL

They said no limits and then limited 3G. Do you really think that you will get Unlimited 4G forever? haha

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is the quote from VZW:

“Beginning 9/15, we will start identifying customers who meet these criteria and will expand to others in the base after customer communications are completed. Network Optimization Practices only goes into effect when an Internet or Smartphone device with an unlimited plan/feature falls into the top 5% of data usage and is on a congested cell site,”

Now, how would you interpret that?

I see that, and think, ok, if I am not in the top 5% and live out in the sticks where it is not "congested", I might be ok, for now.

But anyone who lives in a major metro area or crowded suburbs, is going to find themselves in a "congested cell". And like I said, the top 5% is not a static amount. As those top people do get throttled, they will consume less data, meaning that what was the top 5% last month, will be lower next month. It's a rolling average, so as people are able to get less due to reduced speed, that average comes down, and so does the "top 5%".

That was why I think it is silly to think that "I use 10gb and I am not in the top 5% so I am fine"... You are not seeing the big picture, that as people do get limited, and the average data use comes down, at some point, could be next month or it could be 12 months from now, you will likely find that your 10GB is now in the top 5%.

This isn't rocket science. They want people off those plans and into tiered plans, so that you have to pay more to get your 5GB, or be forced to pay overage fees... This is the business model.

Unlimited was fine for awhile, but those days are over. They cannot just flip a switch and terminate them all for fear of backlash, but what they can do is implement these "network optimization" rules, and make it so that people using a lot of data will get throttled and voluntarily leave their unlimited plans and take up tiered plans...

Snow02

Reaction score
Ok, and when that day comes, we can discuss it. In the meantime, get a 4G phone or deal with it.

The fact of the matter is their 3G network is crowded and slow. No throttling on 4G is an incentive to make the jump (as if the speeds aren't incentive enough). I understand why it's being done and I agree with it. Unlike T-Mobile, that throttles you regardless of time/location, Verizon is only throttling if it benefits other users to do so. Tell me again how that's a negative?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, and when that day comes, we can discuss it. In the meantime, get a 4G phone or deal with it.

The fact of the matter is their 3G network is crowded and slow. No throttling on 4G is an incentive to make the jump (as if the speeds aren't incentive enough). I understand why it's being done and I agree with it. Unlike T-Mobile, that throttles you regardless of time/location, Verizon is only throttling if it benefits other users to do so. Tell me again how that's a negative?

Because people were sold "Unlimited" and at one point that meant just that. Now "unlimited" means, "Well, 2GB if we feel that there are too many cell phones in your area"... It isn't what was advertized or sold. As with most things, they start out with something to lure you in the door and into a contract, and then move the goal post halfway through the game in a way that benefits them.

Sure, we can wait till they just pull the plug and talk then. Hopefully they will still be running the "double your data promotion" at that time, else you could be the one finding that your data plan almost doubles in price. Enjoy! ;-)

And I have a 4G phone, but I saw the writing on the wall... Unlimited plans are going the way of the Dodo...

Snow02

Reaction score
Awesome. So you're not being throttled either. :highfive: Why are we discussing this again?

Where's my nexus?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome. So you're not being throttled either. :highfive: Why are we discussing this again?

Where's my nexus?

Because someone else mentioned how they were not going to give up their grandfathered unlimited plan, and I simply pointed out that you won't have to, it will be taken away from you soon enough.

And what Nexus? I hear a lot of talk about it, but VZW seems to be screwing that up as well... ;-)

B-Unit

Reaction score
Because the device has NOTHING to do with the carrier until I put a SIM card in it or activate it on their network. If it's not active on their network, I should still be able to buy and own it. It'll work over Wi-Fi until Verizon is ready to allow activation. But then at least I can own the phone, get used to its menus and options, and go from there BEFORE being forced into any sort of agreement.

And if the retailer purchased phones directly from Google, Samsung, Motorola, etc, you would be right. But they dont. The carriers buy TONS of phones from the manufacturer, then sell them to their 3rd party retailers. So like it or not, your still buying a phone from Verizon, not Google or Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.