What's Causing the delay of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
verizonwirelessLOGO-550x309.jpg

So what has been going on? What exactly is the reason for the delay? Hardware defects? Software defects? According to Phandroid, the delay has nothing to do with quality control and most certainly has everything to do with Google Wallet.

According to higher uppers in Verizon’s chain of command, Google Wallet does not sit very well with Verizon. Especially when Big Red has already partnered up with ISIS to offer their own NFC mobile payment services. The conflict comes with Google wanting to keep their device largely “untouched” — it is their flagship device after all — and by Verizon demanding Google Wallet be removed, this is not only a disservice to their loyal customers but it could be borderline illegal if defined by a little something called “Net Neutrality”. According to our sources, Verizon is treading on some thin ice here.

We hear December 15th is, in fact, the new target date — but anything can happen from now until then.

SOURCE: Want Answers For Verizon Galaxy Nexus Delay? Apparently It Has Everything To Do With Google Wallet

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That's disappointing if that is what is holding it back. I am ok with it being held back if improvements/fixes are bring implemented but not something silly like a dispute over Google wallet.

nickb34

Reaction score
I don't think the nfc stuff its going to catch on like they want anyways...so quit arguing about it

Sent from my DROID

catfisher

Reaction score
It sounds like someone is trying to put their foot down on the Google Wallet thing (Samsung?). I like someone trying to stick it to Verizon a little bit but I am not sure if it matters. This NFC thing may or may not catch on. Either way it is an issue that could be dealt with later. Unfortunately both side want to make their money, therefore, we consumers will patiently wait.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Tank_Tak

Reaction score
Verizon, you really disapoint me with this crap. I know you didnt formally announce the phone but come on. carrying on with this nonsense is BS, everyone wants the phone and I can tell you you are losing out on a bunch of sales and if it gets delayed anymore Im sure more and more people will switch to a different phones and or service provider

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
NFC will catch on. But it won't catch on until the iPhone comes with an NFC chip and "iTap", which will almost immediately result in every retailer falling over themselves to accept NFC payments.

BUckeyemike84

Reaction score
I say everyone buys the GNex from a retailer and doesn't give VZW the satisfaction of getting the sales.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
It's not *only* Google Wallet and it's not being released in the 15th.
The required update still has not been validated by VZW yet.

Look for release on 12/22

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Been trying to spell that out for folks for about a week now. Guess people thought I was playing around. We will get gwallet anyway because most of us getting this phone are rooters and want to improve this gs anyway. Removing the app will not force us users to use Isis ....it will in fact encourage me to use gwallet instead....just because they wanna Jack with us for reasons like this

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

305rev305

Reaction score
It's not *only* Google Wallet and it's not being released in the 15th.
The required update still has not been validated by VZW yet.

Look for release on 12/22

I went to a corporate store around my house and spoke to a rep that was very knowledgeable and helpful and he said for sure the 15th with no hesitation.... Of course anything can be expected from verizon to change that...

big al

Reaction score
whoever came up with this hair brained idea at VZW to go messing with software should be kicked in the man bag

Status
Not open for further replies.