What Are The Consequences of Extreme Tethering?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually don't disagree with the idea that some might use it as their main internet service provider because they need to save as much money as possible in as many places as possible...
On the other hand, if you are that cash strapped, it might be time to drop the smartphone and go with a simple prepaid flip phone for mobile use; and get on an inexpensive DSL plan for internet access. Those combined would be less than the monthly cost of a smartphone with a data plan. There are ways to save money that don't involve abusing the system. It has always been clear to me that "unlimited" data plans refer to data consumed on the device itself ONLY.

WolfBrother

Reaction score
I thought it was ruled that Verizon cannot limit its users on the way we use data.

Fcc did this. Or am I wrong here?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought it was ruled that Verizon cannot limit its users on the way we use data.

Apparently, from what I understand that ruling doesn't apply to unlimited data plans.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
WolfBrother said:

Verizon still has a case for unlimited data customers if you are using your phone as a wifi hot spot without paying for the service, this however does not apply to USB tethering. Now can Verizon tell if your using wifi or USB, not sure, but I would assume that since the Verizon/FCC "agreement" excludes unlimited users I would bet you will see lines of code in future builds that are there simply there to report to Verizon just that, heck the ics builds now check to see if you ever rooted so why not check to see if you bypassed the hot spot app...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Dave12308 said:
On the other hand, if you are that cash strapped, it might be time to drop the smartphone and go with a simple prepaid flip phone for mobile use; and get on an inexpensive DSL plan for internet access. Those combined would be less than the monthly cost of a smartphone with a data plan. There are ways to save money that don't involve abusing the system. It has always been clear to me that "unlimited" data plans refer to data consumed on the device itself ONLY.

In a sense. I have no idea what an inexpensive DSL would cost but I know in my area I have two choices (three if you count dial up which is a $30-40 phone bill); Road runner or Verizon. The cheapest DSL I believe is $30. Add to that a flip phone plan at least $30 but a single phone w data plan would be $80. Might as will do the smart phone... get a lot more for not much more money. In this economy everyone is looking for ways to cut costs and I will admit that I considered getting rid of my internet and rely on my unlimited data to cut costs.

With all that being said, this is how my last months data usage looks... I rarely touch my pc or laptop anymore and when I do, it is because I have to work in excel or word. Usually only use my phone or tablet. My data use...

Phone data: 197 MB
Phone Wi-Fi: 3.57 GB
Tablet Wi-Fi: 1.6 GB

Total is less than 6 GB. And I feel like I spend my fair share of time on the internet. I don't play internet games nor Netflix, movies, etc...not enough hours in my day for what I do as it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Usb should be fine. I understand the op, as a merchant mariner sailing on the usns kanawha, cell service is your only means of getting internet.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.