Bionic, iPad and tethering - What's the experience been like?

km75

Reaction score
Would they know if you are tethering on a rooted phone? Not the Foxfi?

Its possible that they could tell. But that's a risk you take. Just like you take a risk rooting your phone. Can I or anyone else say what Verizon can/cant see for sure? Honestly no. But my experience is that I've been using wireless tether hacks for over a year now and haven't encountered any problems with Verizon. That doesn't mean that I won't at some point. It just means that it hasn't happened yet and I'm willing to take that risk. So it all comes down to whether or not you're willing to take the risk.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

km75

Reaction score
They know you're tethering but don't do anything about it. I'm only on a 4gb plan and they don't say anything about me tethering
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Comment deleted by user

Last edited:

km75

Reaction score
So does using Foxfi to tether wirelessly incur bills on your Verizon account if you have an unlimited plan in place? Still confused on that aspect.

No

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
When you browse the web, your browser shows itself to the internet as a certain "user agent" so that webpages know how to display themselves on your device. This is so you don't see the iphone version of a webpage on your laptop, or android phone version on your ipad, etc. When you tether it is obvious to Verizon because they can see that an ipad user agent is requesting pages from a bionic device.

kurumatt

Reaction score
When you browse the web, your browser shows itself to the internet as a certain "user agent" so that webpages know how to display themselves on your device. This is so you don't see the iphone version of a webpage on your laptop, or android phone version on your ipad, etc. When you tether it is obvious to Verizon because they can see that an ipad user agent is requesting pages from a bionic device.

What about using desktop user agent on a browser on the phone itself?

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
What about using desktop user agent on a browser on the phone itself?

Well its not JUST the user agent that the browser shows to the internet, it's just the most obvious and demonstrable. Unless you're behind a proxy, your browser also lists information like your OS, screen resolution, and a few other things. So while you can spoof a desktop (or ipad, etc) user agent in apps like dolphin HD, the browser still shows that you're running gingerbread android at 960x540, which is clearly not a desktop.