Using PdaNet to play Xbox Live!!

cmegone

Reaction score
Help connecting

So can someone help me out with the MTU settings error message when trying to connect to XBL? I have a Droid, pdanet, and a laptop with Vista. I can get it to start connecting but gives the mtu error message, I checked and they are set at 1500 on laptop. thanks for the help

brabeck

Reaction score
Okay, so last night I wanted to test out the PdaNet tethering application. First, I tried a simple test to see if it's possible to game on 3G. I booted up TF2 on Steam while also connected to Ventrilo...

I had 25 ping in game! Unbelievable!

So... then I wanted to take it further. I decided to use my laptop as a bridge and connected my Xbox 360 to it. I used PdaNet to connect my 3G internet to the laptop and through it to the 360. Needless to say, I was able to play Halo 3 on Xbox Live with minimal lag!

Wow, so many great things to say about this. First, PdaNet is a wonderful app! Secondly, Verizon has a kick ass data network!

I tried doing that with my MacBook Pro so many times but I could never get my xbl to work on it. It would but then shut down and lag real bad. My internet connection was fine though. I footed the $100 microsoft xbox wireless connector...But when I move to another apartment this is good to know so that I don't need to sign up for internet.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
One question. I've searched (or tried to search) for answers for this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

If I have WiFi tethering, why won't the PS3 and XBOX 360 just connect to it? Why do I need to bridge it with a computer? And since I have to bridge it to a computer anyway, then I don't need the WiFi tethering, right? PDAnet should be fine, right?

(And BTW, off topic, I know, but why can't we search small words? I tried searching for PS3 and it told me the word was too small. I couldn't even search for Best Buy on this site. I had to go out to google and do a search to find info on ps3 on this site.)

mach330

Reaction score
pardon my ignorance...but what is wifi bridging (as far as setting this up)?

davoz28

Reaction score
How is this against Verizons tos? I dont see it as long as its not use for malicious intent

enkryptik

Reaction score
pretty sure that they want to charge like $15 more a month to use tethering. This bypasses their retarded vz access manager crap. I've played 360 on live with my droid's net via wireless tether but alas my ping is approx 134ms here vs my 20ms uverse. throughput is nice though at 2.7Mbps and 740Kbps. still prefer my uverse though.

jbarrett020

Reaction score
if you have a rooted droid this is so much easier.. but yes i played COD6 on my xbox thru the 3g connection (Note ps3 does NOT see the droid as connectible if you are doing it my way which is wifi tether thru root)

anyway, i ran mostly green bars dropping to yellow sometimes. 2 games only pulled 4 MB of data, 8 total for up and down.

enkryptik

Reaction score
Wifi is better yes. No ics which most people have never used or heard of. My ping was mostly yellow to green on mw2

cmegone

Reaction score
Still getting the mtu settings error though I can connect to xbl, just cant download anything. Good reception with droid and vista laptop.

Arcolog2

Reaction score
Hello,

Just saw this post, I know some of it was old but there were some open ended things left in this post.

XBOX live only uses 10MB -15MB of data PER HOUR!

I can do way more damage with youtube....So stop saying that it's going to red flag stuff.

MTU settings....After the great success of running Live on my Droid, we tried my friends BlackJack on the ATT network. He had the same error you spoke of and we never came to a conclusion.
We did have this error on a droid ERIS but, following the steps below helped. You can try it if you would like.

I recommend using an ethernet cable and not trying to use wireless to connect the computer to the xbox.

***********Here is a step by step on setting up your tethered laptop to connect to xboxlive***********
First get PDANET up and running on your laptop.
Go into the network connections on the laptop. On Vista and Windows 7 this is not the "network and sharing center" screen. Search for "network connections" in the start menu search.
You will see your PDANET modem as having a connection.
Right click on PDANET modem and select properties.
Click the "Sharing" Tab. (Windows XP users will not have a sharing tab, you will need to go to Advanced Settings, or something of that sort, I forget off hand. But you will find the same sharing boxes.)
Select the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computers Internet Connection." This will allow the PDANET connection to be shared through your ethernet plug.
Now that the laptop is setup and ready to go, connect an ethernet cord from your laptop to your XBOX360.
Now go ahead and fire up the XBOX and let it aquire the new network settings. Remember it's running through 3G so it's going to take a slight bit longer than when your home on your 20gig cable internet.

Have fun, and if you are going to be playing Modern Warefare 2 tethered, don't play anything but Free For All, Team Deathmatch 12 people and it gets really laggy. Free For All isn't as bad with 8 people. Oh and have fun cursing when someone texts or calls you haha.

grado

Reaction score
Okay, so last night I wanted to test out the PdaNet tethering application. First, I tried a simple test to see if it's possible to game on 3G. I booted up TF2 on Steam while also connected to Ventrilo...

I had 25 ping in game! Unbelievable!

So... then I wanted to take it further. I decided to use my laptop as a bridge and connected my Xbox 360 to it. I used PdaNet to connect my 3G internet to the laptop and through it to the 360. Needless to say, I was able to play Halo 3 on Xbox Live with minimal lag!

Wow, so many great things to say about this. First, PdaNet is a wonderful app! Secondly, Verizon has a kick ass data network!

cool, I will try it.

LucSkywalker16

Reaction score
Halp!

Hey,

Brand spankin newb to the forums, and was wondering if i could get some help on this topic.

I am running an Inspiron 1520 with Vista 32bit and an HTC Droid Eris v2.1. Tethering to the phone and going on the internet is no problem, but when I try to share my connection via ethernet, my connection status goes back to "Identifying..." and then "Local Access Only" and I can't connect to the internet. According to the earlier posts someone was running a vista laptop and getting XBL through his laptop, the only difference is I'm hard-lining my Xbox/Desktop and not WiFi. Any help would be AWESOME!

Thanks

tyke87

Reaction score
Im assuming you need a router between your xbox and comp, my problem is that i only have a verizon modem router combo and whenever i plug it to my computer my internet off pdanet stops working but says its still connected. Any suggestions?

LucSkywalker16

Reaction score
Im assuming you need a router between your xbox and comp, my problem is that i only have a verizon modem router combo and whenever i plug it to my computer my internet off pdanet stops working but says its still connected. Any suggestions?

Yah I got the same error, but instead of a router between my computer I can either have my xbox direct connected or run through a 24 port switch