What Are The Consequences of Extreme Tethering?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
If Verizon ever has an issue with data consumption it doesn't appear it will be an issue of "how much" as opposed to "what" was using it. From the article I posted from cnet, since you are still required to pay to hotspot tether on an unlimited plan, that is where you could find trouble, however the only way they could prove you using a third party hotspot, hacking the vzw hotspot is to have data sent back to them on apps you download as well as apps you access, just because its on your phone does not mean you use it.

The only other issue I could see is if your use of 146gb of data was slowing down the network for the rest of us, then you may see a throttle down in your speeds, but again, how much doesn't appear to be a real issue.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I agree 100% that we SHOULD be able to use our "unlimited" data as we see fit, I ask one simple question: If Verizon did suddenly decide to start demanding financial compensation for past tethering use, would YOU want to be the person who finds out the hard way? (note, this isn't directed to anyone in particular, just a question to stir up some thought). I know i'd HATE to be the person who found out the hard way by having my service terminated OR getting a huge bill in the mail. I personally do not enjoy playing with fire.

OP
Angelou22

Angelou22

Reaction score
While I agree 100% that we SHOULD be able to use our "unlimited" data as we see fit, I ask one simple question: If Verizon did suddenly decide to start demanding financial compensation for past tethering use, would YOU want to be the person who finds out the hard way? (note, this isn't directed to anyone in particular, just a question to stir up some thought). I know i'd HATE to be the person who found out the hard way by having my service terminated OR getting a huge bill in the mail. I personally do not enjoy playing with fire.

Quite honestly, they could terminate my contract for all I care. Huge bill? [heck] no! I'd take their candy [butts] to court.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graymayre

Reaction score
Both my wife (iPhone 4) and myself (Bionic) use about 60-80 GB each a month. My wife hardly ever tethers, and I used to alot. As much as you do, and on 3G at that. Ive been doing it since my OG Droid with PDANet, and have never had any consequences.
I invite anyone to comment on this that is SUPPORTIVE, however more TOS badgering will result in my abandoning this thread entirely. Everyone knows the TOS violation argument and those who perpetuate it have too much time on their hands. I've participated in it before and it gets nowhere.
"Nothing is true, everything is allowed"
-Altair, while sexting his mistress in Jerusalem on his OG Droid

bhp117

Reaction score
Quite honestly, they could terminate my contract for all I care. Huge bill? [heck] no! I'd take their candy [butts} to court.

You'll see me right next to you and many other:biggrin:

bhp117

Reaction score
Both my wife (iPhone 4) and myself (Bionic) use about 60-80 GB each a month. My wife hardly ever tethers, and I used to alot. As much as you do, and on 3G at that. Ive been doing it since my OG Droid with PDANet, and have never had any consequences.
I invite anyone to comment on this that is SUPPORTIVE, however more TOS badgering will result in my abandoning this thread entirely. Everyone knows the TOS violation argument and those who perpetuate it have too much time on their hands. I've participated in it before and it gets nowhere.

Well said

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, they could terminate my contract for all I care. Huge bill? [heck] no! I'd take their candy [butts] to court.
In YOUR case, you would be fine I believe as you're not resorting to any hotspot hacks, and are not using a 3rd party wifi tether workaround. You are using a built-in function of your device, and I think that argument would hold up in court since at no time does the built-in USB tether app inform you that you are using a paid service. My question above was more aimed at the people who use workarounds to tether wirelessly. I just looked up "Mobile Broadband Connect" and the Bionic isn't even listed as a compatible device (AND it doesn't require their VZAccess Manager app to get online) so I don't think they could even use that argument. The ONLY LTE devices that even support the plan are the MiFi devices and the 4G modem "sticks" that plug into the USB port. Even if for some odd godforsaken reason Verizon honestly expects people to pay for USB tethering on their 4G smartphones, there's no way on earth the average person would have ANY idea whatsoever. I think you're fine.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, 60-80GB each month on 3G?????????? You and your wife must CONSTANTLY be messing with your phones *LOL* I didn't know there was enough hours in a month to accomplish that!

zirkdog

Reaction score
I used 6 gigs once watching quite a few episodes of sitcoms on Netflix. At the end of the month I looked back and thought..."What a waste of time staring at a 4" screen." I can only imagine what using 50+ gigs would be like.

If you have to use the tether function because the BIONIC is your primary internet provider and you gobble up the gigs, have at it. If you just can't put down the phone and socialize with your family, friends, or the outside world because of YouTube, Netflix, and hours upon hours of pron, maybe it's time for an A&E Intervention.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Use up your unlimited you paid for it and no they can't cancel your contract for using lots of data you're on an unlimited plan. Unless you violate the TOS, which using data does not, you're fine.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
At the same time, it is the extreme use that has contributed to Verizon not offering unlimited data anymore. So yes, use it as you wish because for now, you have unlimited data... but don't use it unnecessarily just for the sake of using data because that boggs down the network for everyone and the more people use excessive amounts, the less likely we will ever see Verizon consider offering unlimited again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
Angelou22

Angelou22

Reaction score
I used 6 gigs once watching quite a few episodes of sitcoms on Netflix. At the end of the month I looked back and thought..."What a waste of time staring at a 4" screen." I can only imagine what using 50+ gigs would be like.

If you have to use the tether function because the BIONIC is your primary internet provider and you gobble up the gigs, have at it. If you just can't put down the phone and socialize with your family, friends, or the outside world because of YouTube, Netflix, and hours upon hours of pron, maybe it's time for an A&E Intervention.

A lot of you seem to underestimate the amount of bandwidth one uses on a regular basis. That, plus a 2 hour HD movie would easily use 2GB+ at once. Also, like I mentioned, using my Bionic to download FULL games on Steam takes the cake. Crysis 2, for example, is an 11GB download that takes 5+ hours. Video on Skype with friends for 2+ hours also devours bandwidth.

Caesars

Reaction score

I love you!

Sent from my LG-AS680 using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Angelou22 said:
A lot of you seem to underestimate the amount of bandwidth one uses on a regular basis. That, plus a 2 hour HD movie would easily use 2GB+ at once. Also, like I mentioned, using my Bionic to download FULL games on Steam takes the cake. Crysis 2, for example, is an 11GB download that takes 5+ hours. Video on Skype with friends for 2+ hours also devours bandwidth.

I agree with you... to use it for what you want. I only disagree with using it for no other purpose than to just to use it. I actually don't disagree with the idea that some might use it as their main internet service provider because they need to save as much money as possible in as many places as possible... even though that was not the purpose of unlimited and why Verizon had hotspots plans (to prevent that kind of use). But no reason to use it unnecessarily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums