Using PdaNet to play Xbox Live!!

Big Lou

Reaction score
Okay, so last night I wanted to test out the PdaNet tethering application. First, I tried a simple test to see if it's possible to game on 3G. I booted up TF2 on Steam while also connected to Ventrilo...

I had 25 ping in game! Unbelievable!

So... then I wanted to take it further. I decided to use my laptop as a bridge and connected my Xbox 360 to it. I used PdaNet to connect my 3G internet to the laptop and through it to the 360. Needless to say, I was able to play Halo 3 on Xbox Live with minimal lag!

Wow, so many great things to say about this. First, PdaNet is a wonderful app! Secondly, Verizon has a kick ass data network!

Jason

Reaction score
Okay, so last night I wanted to test out the PdaNet tethering application. First, I tried a simple test to see if it's possible to game on 3G. I booted up TF2 on Steam while also connected to Ventrilo...

I had 25 ping in game! Unbelievable!

So... then I wanted to take it further. I decided to use my laptop as a bridge and connected my Xbox 360 to it. I used PdaNet to connect my 3G internet to the laptop and through it to the 360. Needless to say, I was able to play Halo 3 on Xbox Live with minimal lag!

Wow, so many great things to say about this. First, PdaNet is a wonderful app! Secondly, Verizon has a kick ass data network!

Was this using the free version?

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
Yes. Just the trial.

As far as I know, the trial is 100% unrestricted. And beyond the trial, you are still free to use it for non-https sites.

Jason

Reaction score
Yes. Just the trial.

As far as I know, the trial is 100% unrestricted. And beyond the trial, you are still free to use it for non-https sites.

If you try to use it beyond the trial would it still work to play online for ps3 or Xbox live

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
I don't know, to be honest. All I know is that the expired trial can access non-secure web servers. I don't know what Xbox Live would be considered.

Jason

Reaction score
I don't know, to be honest. All I know is that the expired trial can access non-secure web servers. I don't know what Xbox Live would be considered.

Yea because I have a ps3 and it would be awesome if I can use it to play online when I travel

mcquart38

Reaction score
How

How do you do this after you get PDA net? Like the step up from the phone, to the comp, to the Xbox?? Do you just plug it in?? thanks!! Sean

T

thericksonebay

Yea because I have a ps3 and it would be awesome if I can use it to play online when I travel

I use pda net tethered on my win 7 laptop. with the new option win7 has that it can use the onboard wifi and turn it into a wifi hotspot. Then i connect my ps3 to te hotspot and it works i have minumal lag to noe some times. The only issue i have is that it disconnects somtimes for no reason. Another thing i notived is that when your connect to modern warfare 2 on the ps3 it only uses about 5 mb per gme that is very little

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
Yes, as Rick has stated, you can simply share your onboard wireless. What I did was share the internet through ethernet, as it's a more reliable and faster connection; but either way will work.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Big lou, if you wouldn't mind, could you please type instructions for tech newbies on how to do this? Thanks

Switchback

Reaction score
I can see this racking up your Data Usage. Just be careful about tethering since Verizon does keep an eye on that.

fluc02

Reaction score
It's probably an extraordinarily bad idea to do this over 3G. Data traffic is very heavy when playing a multiplayer game and it would be very, very easy for them to tell what you're doing (using pdanet is against verizon's ToS, if you weren't aware)

wickerdude

Reaction score
I tried this, it would connect to Live but eventually gave me error about the MTU settings being too low. I check them and they were fine. What version of Pdanet were you using? Any help would be great..I really want to get this working.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to be the party pooper here, but that is using unbelievable amounts of data in a very short period of time.....this is an absolutely huge red flag. Will you ever post and tell us what your data charge is because they will be on this very quickly.