Bionic, iPad and tethering - What's the experience been like?

brunla

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the new iPad and wanting to tether it to my Bionic's 4G. What has been people's experience with this? It is my understanding that you have to root your phone (which I have not done yet).

Is there anyway to tether without rooting? Any obstacles with this process that will drive me crazy?

Or is it just smooth, and works easily with iPad and not that big of a deal?

Really need to know before I purchase a wifi only model and try to save an extra data plan every month.

Thanks!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could pay for tethering? ;-)

Actually if you don't need it all the time, Verizon will let you prorate tethering for periods less than a month.

But otherwise I would think its a smooth process since the Bionic is built to handle being a hotspot. I never had any problems with my laptop when I had my bionic.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
Are you tethering wirelessly? Are you rooted?
You kinda missed the main points of my questions above...

You could pay for tethering? ;-)

Actually if you don't need it all the time, Verizon will let you prorate tethering for periods less than a month.

But otherwise I would think its a smooth process since the Bionic is built to handle being a hotspot. I never had any problems with my laptop when I had my bionic.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I use my bionic as a hotspot any time I'm on vacation or out of town and it works great. It can handle a bunch of devices, too. Was skiing with a group of 8 recently and the whole house was grateful I had my bionic so everyone could get internet access.
Also, rooting is incredibly easy and quick. There's a tool called motofail that takes about thirty seconds to do, including the reboot. I use an app called mobile hotspot for wifi and USB tethering. Verizon hasn't mentioned anything to me about it, I'm not worried about them. I've been doing it since I got the bionic on launch day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Tcizzle

Reaction score
Foxfi is on the android market. Does not require root. My bionic is rooted and it tethers nicely to my wife's ipad. I installed foxfi on my friend's nonrooted droid 2 and it tethered nicely to both my xoom and the ipad.

km75

Reaction score
Try foxfi from the market. Its a wireless tether app that is free and doesn't require root.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

km75

Reaction score
Foxfi is on the android market. Does not require root. My bionic is rooted and it tethers nicely to my wife's ipad. I installed foxfi on my friend's nonrooted droid 2 and it tethered nicely to both my xoom and the ipad.

You beat me to it.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

Tcizzle

Reaction score
I second this notion. Motofail was so easy it was almost boring. I say do that first.

I use my bionic as a hotspot any time I'm on vacation or out of town and it works great. It can handle a bunch of devices, too. Was skiing with a group of 8 recently and the whole house was grateful I had my bionic so everyone could get internet access.
Also, rooting is incredibly easy and quick. There's a tool called motofail that takes about thirty seconds to do, including the reboot. I use an app called mobile hotspot for wifi and USB tethering. Verizon hasn't mentioned anything to me about it, I'm not worried about them. I've been doing it since I got the bionic on launch day.

Hollywood67

Reaction score
Brunla,
I use bionic to ipad wireless tether and it works very well. I am rooted, because I dont want to pay verizon double for something I already pay for.
Root not necessary though

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
All great responses! Motofail sounds interesting and not so scary for a novice. That being said Foxfi sounds great and I just tried it and it works. HOWEVER if you are using Foxfi am I paying "double" to Verizon? I'm on an unlimited plan so do they recognize I am using this Foxfi tethering method?

Brunla,
I use bionic to ipad wireless tether and it works very well. I am rooted, because I dont want to pay verizon double for something I already pay for.
Root not necessary though

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you tethering wirelessly? Are you rooted?
You kinda missed the main points of my questions above...

Yes and yes... I got your points, I was just rushed and trying to add some friendly banter. :) Sorry about that...

I did tether wirelessly and it was seamless - on my laptop and other devices. Never an iPad, but I can't imagine (especially now seeing others' posts) it would be difficult at all.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
So does using Foxfi to tether wirelessly incur bills on your Verizon account if you have an unlimited plan in place? Still confused on that aspect.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
So does using Foxfi to tether wirelessly incur bills on your Verizon account if you have an unlimited plan in place? Still confused on that aspect.

They know you're tethering but don't do anything about it. I'm only on a 4gb plan and they don't say anything about me tethering.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Historically speaking, they won't do much about it unless it becomes egregious. No guarantees going forward, but in the past that's typically been the case.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
Would they know if you are tethering on a rooted phone? Not the Foxfi?