Went in to get a Droid X ...

PhDCow

Reaction score
The first app I installed was Launcher Pro Beta and now my DX flies. It's kind of amusing that most of the "new" features are ones that I either turned off or am just ignoring. But the speed and the size tipped the scales on my decision.

aldaudio

Reaction score
i just csnt get into the size of the phone. i do not want a pgone that large, in my pocket. it has to be so uncomfortable.

i hope all future phones arent that size.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i just csnt get into the size of the phone. i do not want a pgone that large, in my pocket. it has to be so uncomfortable.

Looks like you might need a larger keyboard, though. :)

lmdodds

Reaction score
im sure i would be tempted if it could be rooted like my droid. i just have too much fun with my droid since its so customizable

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score

Looks like you might need a larger keyboard, though. :)

I dont want a pgone that large everywhere....darn it...these giant fingers of mine are so giant! :D just having a little fun.

Honestly though bro, the size at first feel strange, it really does theres no denying it. It grows on you though, much like the weight of the droid does. Now, when I pick up a different phone, I can only think about how light and fragile it feels. I put one in my shorts pocket (I wear 32s) and to be honest, its hardly noticeable. Guess its just one of those things you get used to with time. The Evo is gigantic too, but after a week or two of playing with one of those, the DroidX didn't feel awkward at all...plus the screen is just beautiful, not as many pixels as the IPhone4, but its still wonderful

aldaudio

Reaction score
damnit dont make fun of me, haha! im not sure why this wont auto-correct for me while using this app.

anywho, a giant screen would be nice during usage, i just think it'd be weird talking on the phone and carrying it in my pocket. but youre right, cant knock it till you try it.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Your right, it is kindda weird at first. You know what I think is even weirder? Remember back in the 90s when the phones where literally the size of a brick? o_O

Now look at how big they are! lol But yeah, you do get used to it, and it doesn't take too long either...infact, since it spends only moments in your pocket the first week, it grows on you even quicker hahaha

Ya know, I read somewhere on the net about this new experimental display technology that can literally be rolled into a tube. Cant wait until the sticker price on something like that comes down, and we start to see it getting used in things like cell phones. *day dreaming*

PhDCow

Reaction score
My 7 year old daughter was playing Drop 7 on my DX this evening and she loved the bigger screen. Hee!

I'm a college professor and I use my phone for answering emails and going on to Blackboard. The bigger screen is a nice touch.

The one thing that's been bugging me all day though -- the lock button is in the center of the top of the phone.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Yea, that felt awkward to me too. My GF bought a case for her's too when she got it, and that makes it feel even funnier. But hey, guess you have to live with some things :D

chuk1005

Reaction score
Laggy? You guys should either stop making assumptions based on the display model you tried, or use a home replacement. Not flamin, just saying

You are absolutely correct, the first thing I did when I got mine was install launcher pro because I dont like the DX default launcher. This phone is not laggy at all and I have a Droid as well and its overclocked to 1.2 with froyo and the DX seems much faster/smoother, imagine when it gets froyo.

dwagner88

Reaction score
Laggy? You guys should either stop making assumptions based on the display model you tried, or use a home replacement. Not flamin, just saying

You are absolutely correct, the first thing I did when I got mine was install launcher pro because I dont like the DX default launcher. This phone is not laggy at all and I have a Droid as well and its overclocked to 1.2 with froyo and the DX seems much faster/smoother, imagine when it gets froyo.

We shouldn't have to replace the home app though. Moto really needs to figure out this whole issue with choppiness. The Droid's stock launcher had it too. The stock theme is freaking ugly also. I'm sure it's a great phone once you rip all of the ugly off the stock home and then install launcherpro.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score

We shouldn't have to replace the home app though. Moto really needs to figure out this whole issue with choppiness. The Droid's stock launcher had it too. The stock theme is freaking ugly also. I'm sure it's a great phone once you rip all of the ugly off the stock home and then install launcherpro.

your absolutely right in most respects here, let me explain a little more.

The purpose behind making apps like the launcher that seem (eh hm) half-assed is so that there is a need for third prty development. If everything on the phone was as good as it could get, then there would be no need for third party devs like the people behind handcent, or behind launcher pro, to make apps along these lines. Also, developement time to make a top notch, say home, app, would increase the cost of the phone, and the over all development cycle.

It sucks, agreed, but with time and understanding; it really is the best approach

nyijedi

Reaction score

your absolutely right in most respects here, let me explain a little more.

The purpose behind making apps like the launcher that seem (eh hm) half-assed is so that there is a need for third prty development. If everything on the phone was as good as it could get, then there would be no need for third party devs like the people behind handcent, or behind launcher pro, to make apps along these lines. Also, developement time to make a top notch, say home, app, would increase the cost of the phone, and the over all development cycle.

It sucks, agreed, but with time and understanding; it really is the best approach

Are you suggesting that Motorola, and other manufacturers, are purposefully making lackluster applications so that there is a need for 3rd party apps? I'm sorry, but that's silly.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
HAHAHA yes, yes infact I am. Think about it, why would they turn out a messenger app that is so completely overshadowed by handcent? Why would there browser be second bested by dolphin browser (among others). Its on purpose, so that devs have something to develop. It seems silly, I know, but its true. In fact, the only thing that the phone is great at doing right outta the box is making phone calls. In this respect, you have no choice but to make a phone that is specific to the user. Sure, the stock apps let you do most of the core functions of the phone just fine; but to really get the phone to shine, you have to get on the market, you have to search, you have to try different things, and you have to fuel the fires of the android economy.

If the phone came with perfect everything right outta the box, then why would anyone change anything at all. That my friend, would lead to a stagnant economy...and that, would be silly.

markwebb

Reaction score
im sure i would be tempted if it could be rooted like my droid. i just have too much fun with my droid since its so customizable

Totally agree! I intend on keeping my rooted Droid for as long as possible.

Froyo 2.2 + Root = Powerful Original Droid.

Does what I want it to do and more...

Quite happy!