Went for a swim

TLCP21

Reaction score
Yesterday my Droid went swimming in a shot glass of vodka. I did what most people do which is something pretty dumb. I snatched the battery out,dried everything off,put the battery back in and turned it on. It did come on but the icons were bouncing around and the cell was acting like it was crack. I couldn't do anything with it really. Well after a few more tries of turning it off and on it started working properly. After about 10 minutes of use the screen went black and its been that way since. The backlight comes on,I can accept incoming calls because I know where to slide the unlock to answer the calls.

Hubby put it on the air vent over night to see if the heat would help dry it out. The only upside that may help at this point is that those little wet indicators didn't turn red. They're still normal but I wasn't sure there was another way anyone could tell it had gotten wet if I took it back to the store? I have insurance but thats not doing me any good when I don't have the extra money to pay the insurance claim.

My only option seems to be taking it to the store to see if I could slip through the cracks. Any suggestions to getting my screen back or should I hold a memorial service for the thing?

OP
T

TLCP21

Reaction score
And to add,it is rooted so if I returned it would it be possible for them to know or is there a way or doing a reset without being able to see the screen?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss this is the second thread like this today. Insurance is only $90 and you might get a droid 2 instead.

warrior21

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, there has been a few of these on here today

MrSpeed3

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss this is the second thread like this today. Insurance is only $90 and you might get a droid 2 instead.

WOOT! I paid 50 for my insurance claim. And ive also read somewere that u can flash 2.2 with RDSlite with out having to c the screen. this will remove ur root. good look.

OP
T

TLCP21

Reaction score
Thanks guys :(

So I'm wondering at this point what all they'll be able to check since the screen isn't working? Not trying to put anyone down but the store here has some real bimbos working there and most of them don't know anything about phones besides how to text and make calls so I'm trying to figure out what I could possibly get by on.

warrior21

Reaction score
There is a water indicator in the battery compartment so they would be able to tell if it got wet. Since it is not a hardware issue Verizon probably wouldn't be able to do anything for you, it is a straight insurance claim.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys :(

So I'm wondering at this point what all they'll be able to check since the screen isn't working? Not trying to put anyone down but the store here has some real bimbos working there and most of them don't know anything about phones besides how to text and make calls so I'm trying to figure out what I could possibly get by on.
Bimbo's huh? If you get a warranty replacement, you better hold your breath until it's received back to VZW because the indicators might look ok, but they can tell if it has liquid damage. Then it will be very costly for you.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is a water indicator in the battery compartment so they would be able to tell if it got wet. Since it is not a hardware issue Verizon probably wouldn't be able to do anything for you, it is a straight insurance claim.

Water indicators where? Are they the circular dots in the battery compartment and on the battery?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

TLCP21

Reaction score

Water indicators where? Are they the circular dots in the battery compartment and on the battery?

Theres one on the battery and one inside the battery compartment. One dots with tiny x's on them.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you mentioned water indicators I figured that's what those were. Just making sure. Always wondered what those funny little dots were for. Many I should cover them. J/k ;)

warrior21

Reaction score

Yeah the ones with the x's. That is the first thing they check whenever I brought in a phone for a warranty.

OP
T

TLCP21

Reaction score
Those indicators are a real problem because they assume that if they have turned then the device has been drowned in liquid but in some cases their devices have been left around moisture,like a steamy bathroom while listening to music and trying to sing in the shower. There should be another way for the reps to check out a device to be sure it was actually water damage and not something else.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They can look for corrosion on the charge port, headphone jack, battery terminals, etc
That's a helluva shot for a Droid to fit into the glass

Support our troops!
slidered from a wifi monolith

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those indicators are a real problem because they assume that if they have turned then the device has been drowned in liquid but in some cases their devices have been left around moisture,like a steamy bathroom while listening to music and trying to sing in the shower. There should be another way for the reps to check out a device to be sure it was actually water damage and not something else.

Leaving your device in a high moisture environment such as a steamy bathroom DOES cause moisture damage, so if the indicator turns in that case; it's just doing its job. Just because nothing is obviously wrong doesn't mean the exposure to moisture isn't silently doing damage.

There are devices meant for listening to music while singing in the shower, a Droid is not one of them.