Went in to get a Droid X ...

cpinto

Reaction score
but walked out, with my old Droid in my pocket.

It is nice, but not the home run I had hoped for. Screen is big, but not as big as some have suggested. It was just about perfect for me.

I played with it for about :30. Does seem a little laggy, compared to that original one I have. Items seemed to quiver across the screen rather than flow across.

They had about 60 in stock, but I walked out without one. Probably will sell out tonight.

I probably will go back and get it after I think about it for a while, but it wasn't the feeling that "I have to have this thing, now!!".

If the call quality is better, that might be enough to cause me to get it. I have to yell into mine so people can understand me.

The stock keyboards still suck. You will have to download a replacement pretty quickly. Swype is included if you like that.

It is lite, but does not feel cheap, as others have suggested. My current Droid pulls down my shorts if it's in my pocket.

Screen does not appear to be as sensitive, but it's still ok.

Not an iPhone killer.

All that said, I'll probably own one within a few days.

If they could have done away with the hump on the back, and created a thin skin for it, you'd have something.

I did try a few web pages, on a 3g network and it was very sloooooow. Not really sure what was up with that. I started my droid and the X at the same time. It took 20 seconds to load what my old Droid did in about 8 seconds. That may be from being a demo model, and everyone playing with it.

I do like the 4 hard buttons at the bottom, but the icons on them are very small.

Highly suggest trying one in the store before ordering one online.

Once this thing gets FROYO, I think it will be MUCH BETTER.

Craig

Last edited:

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
I personally did the same thing, although my brother got it instead of me(he was coming from BB storm 1) In which I personally love the phone but not enough to drop my rooted Droid. When I played with the phone(we got there and left the store in 3 hours sadly..) I fell in love with it I loved the screen but I like my physical keyboard though as well.

I believe the next big phone with combine the droid 2 with the x making it a true iphone killer...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
there is no "iphone killer".

iphone has set the bar and made smartphones mainstream. it will forever be looked upon as the single device that made smartphones popular. Apple knows this which is why they changed up so much for iPhone 4 and aren't afraid of losing customers.

I hate the iPhone, i mean i really do, i would take Windows Mobile over it. The fact is that Apple has set the bar and there will never be an "iphone killer" because of all the bias we all have now. Each phone has their strengths, but there will never be a phone, at least to me, that will completely eliminate the iPhone and its fan base.

As for me, I see the future in Android and Google. They really came out the gates strong and the Droid X is definitely the phone i want to upgrade to. I have a broken AUX jack on my Droid and hopefully they'll let me replace it with Droid X.

boarderx

Reaction score
I agree with the lag comments. I just got back from a verizon store (second of the day) and both of the devices that I played with were "sticky" when scrolling through the various screens. Went to AT&T and played with the iPhone 4 and scrolling is so much smoother. I wanted to like the DroidX so much, but I just don't feel right about purchasing it. The screen was awesome on the DroidX, loved the size and everything looked great.

Mule65

Reaction score
there is no "iphone killer".

Someday there will be. Big corporate outing today. Played with a new iPhone and man was it BORING. Played with a new T-Mobile Galaxy S and man was it cool!

modified

Reaction score
It's not faster than a 1.2 mhz rooted Droid. Nuff said.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not faster than a 1.2 mhz rooted Droid. Nuff said.

yeah it is 1.2 mhz is freaking slow as hell.

Also, did you guys try installing a replacement homescreen? I thought that the stock launcher was laggy in the first place.

sic0048

Reaction score
I actually really liked it when I played with it in the store. Granted, it didn't make me sign up for it on the spot. But I don't need personal cell service right now (use work cell).

I thought the screen sensitivity was much better than the DINC they had on the floor. I only played with the DINC about 5 minutes, but had to retouch the screen multiple times to get a reaction (ie the first swipe wasn't read, so I had to reswipe, etc, etc, etc). That never happened with the DX and I played with it for probably 20 minutes.

Screens seems fast, but I don't have a Droid (overclocked or not) to compare it to.

Lets hope it ends up being rooted so we can get more power out of it. There is no question it is one of the faster Android phones out there right now.

sphen22

Reaction score
Personally coming from a stock 2.1 Droid my new X makes it look like one of those old nokias everyone used to have. This thing is great!!!!

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
These "sticky" screens can be easily remedied fellas. Its just in the way that the stock home app is set up, something to do with the quality being set low out of the box to preserve battery. I put advanced launcher on the one my GF got this morning, and it, to be honest, seems like its scrolling smoother than my rooted droid1.

As far as the "never going to be an IPhone killer" sentiments. Ya know, you have a good point there. Kindda like nothing will kill Nintendo, in a way. Nintendo will always be synonymous with the gaming revolution. In the same respect though, think about who controls the market today? Even though Nintendo still leads the pack, it's competition is fierce. Competition drives the wheels of change, after all. So its a good thing that most companies will be chasing the flag in the cell phone arena.

But, if you really think about it, its RIM that set the bar. Black berrys are the catalyst behind the whole, get your every freakin thing in one spot craze, and they still control the lion's share of the market. IPhone refined it all, and put it inbehind a pretty little UI; but it' android that started the newest craze, the one that we are still only seeing start to bud. Open source, linux driven, java virtual machine on the top. Its going to be, one day I think, an industry standard. If we can get more Devs over to the platform, and get the app market built up to something comparable to the apple market; then my friends, and only then, can we say that Android finally killed Apple.

Then, of course, it will only be a matter of time before IPhone zombies come back and give Android a run for the money :p

dragozoid

Reaction score
Typing this from my Droid X and I can say it's definitely smoother than my Droid is even on 2.2. I've already posted my Droid on craigslist so it will have a new owner. :)

AirForceE7

Reaction score
I Have No Lag In My DX I Love It,It Really Just Seems Like People Are Mad Here Because They Didn't Get One (lol)!!!!!!!!!!!

erikfig

Reaction score
Not impresed with the phone speed. Laggy. Tme only cool thing about it is the big screen.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Laggy? You guys should either stop making assumptions based on the display model you tried, or use a home replacement. Not flamin, just saying