Well my phone will be a brick soon...

fisterkev

Reaction score
The charging port is completely screwed, can't charge it. It started getting loose a couple of weeks ago, had to move the cable aroound a bit to get it to contact, woke up today and it won't contact at all. This phone is less than a year old...

Anyone know if I can take it into the store and trade it for a new one? It's still under 1 year with Verizon. Really disappointed right now...

clueless77

Reaction score
Three things

1. Try Verizon first
2. Have you tried another chord or micro USB
3. Try one of those new charge pads

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Clueless has a good point. The charge pad would be perfect. Now just connecting your phone to the computer without taking the card out. I would go the vzw route, if you have insurance on it then you can have a new one overnighted for $80. If you are still within one year, you get a manufacturers warrenty replacement phone....refurbed! But I have never had a problem with a refurbished phone. If you aren't within warranty or insured, craigslist droid x phones are going for about $150 right now.

OP
F

fisterkev

Reaction score
I don't really want to get a charging pad for a broken phone. Verizon *should* replace it, since it's under a year and is a defect that bricked the phone through no fault of mine. If they don't replace it they will just lose my business and I will get another phone from someone else.

I have been eyeing that new notorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile, if Verizon doesn't come through I think I will go that route.

Reaction score
Well as long as they can put a charged battery in it and see if it works, you should be all good. A car isn't totaled if it's out of gas!

OP
F

fisterkev

Reaction score
I actually have a spare battery with a near full charge, but won't be able to get to the store to do it until Sunday (working, crappy hours). It works, just can't get a contact to charge. I can demonstrate that to them pretty easily at the store...

For now I am just going to keep it off with the replacement battery for emergencies over the next couple of days until I can get in there, I guess. Not much else I can do. :(

OP
F

fisterkev

Reaction score
Those charging mats require a usb plug in anyway, so it wouldn't work...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Why dont you just take a second out of your busy life and fix it your self? I had this same issue with my phone 2 weeks ago...5 minutes with my pocket knife and all is well now and my DX is charging just like brand new.

What did I do you ask? Simple really...Just inside the USB opening on the phone, you can see the connector/line-up tab...make sure it is centered in the opening. If it isnt, gently pry it up or down to align it. Look at the actual USB port metal shroud inside the port...make sure none of it is bent not allowing the cables to plug in fully. Give this a shot and see what your results are.

BTW, unless its an internal fault with the USB connector, this isnt a "defect"...its called "wear and tear", and thats what insurance is for.

OP
F

fisterkev

Reaction score
BodyBagz,

Looking closely at the port the entire port (metal shroud) is loose and moves freely, it is no longer solidly mounted in there. If I play around with it long enough I can get it to contact, but the slightest touch or vibration on the table it's sitting on dislodges the connection. I had it charging when I went to bed last night and when I woke up it had lost the connection at some point in the night and was about 80% drained. Absolutely forget about charging in a car or anywhere but a completely stable position off of a wall socket. I tried poking around in there a bit but it is too fragile and screwed up enough, and I am not going to give the VZW people an excuse to say that I broke it myself. Besides, I didn't see anything obvious I could do to fix it... Not gonna try and force it.

It should not have come loose from simple wear and tear like this; I have had many, many devices using this same connection and I have never seen any other device have this problem. I am simply plugging the cable into the port for god's sake, not swinging it around or trying to play yo-yo with it. I baby this phone. Since I have never seen this happen on any other device I am not going to chalk it up to "normal wear and tear", and I consider this unit defective. I'll be taking it into the shop next chance I get.

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
Well unless your contract is almost up then the cancellation fee is kinda rape. Not to mention verizon has and always will have the best line up of phones. It wont brick either; it will just not take a corded charge. Check your local craigslist u might find a person or place that does it for $20. My x means that much to me. You say u babys yours but u wont get it fixed. Sounds like diarrhea parenting :). Keep your x alive and strong.

x.sys

OP
F

fisterkev

Reaction score
I actually have this phone through my father's contract, all I pay is the data. If I can't get the situation fixed then I will just tell him he can drop the line and I will go to another carrier. I walked away from TMobile (paid cancellation fee to do so) for crappy customer service, I'll do it here too if I have to. I am hoping it doesn't come to that, and not expecting that it will either.

As far as getting someone to fix it, I am trying not to void the warranty so that I can still get it replaced here, and I am pretty sure that any work done on the phone by a non-authorized dealer will void that. Same reason I am not too keen on poking around too hard at it with a pocketknife... I am perfectly happy with a refurb replacement (I do like this phone), but if they won't do that then I will walk. I am not going to stick around holding a phone I can't reliably charge.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The charging port is completely screwed, can't charge it. It started getting loose a couple of weeks ago, had to move the cable aroound a bit to get it to contact, woke up today and it won't contact at all. This phone is less than a year old...

Anyone know if I can take it into the store and trade it for a new one? It's still under 1 year with Verizon. Really disappointed right now...

I think you'll get a reburbished Certified Like New phone.

Beka27

Reaction score
I can't see any reason you wouldn't get a CLNR. And even with "babying" your phone, it gets jostled around on a daily basis. Stuff gets loose. It's not unheard of. You must have had tremendous luck with cell phones if nothing has ever gone wrong before this.

If I can offer some advice, let up on the "woe is me" act. Positive thinking, and being polite to your local VZW employee, can go a long way... just sayin'...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
F

fisterkev

Reaction score
No, never had an issue like this with any other cell phone, GPS, game system, or any other gadget that uses this port type. Obviously it happens to this model phone though, as one other poster has said.

"Woe is me" act? I am not exactly planning on walking into the store and throwing the phone at the rep, you know, I am just saying that if I don't get a replacement I will walk. I don't see that as unreasonable. I just don't have alot of faith in phone companies after my experiencse with TMobile and AT&T, though I haven't had to deal with Verizon yet in any situation where they could really screw me, so I can't say anything about their CS.

I expect to get hooked up with a refurb, which is fine with me. I see no reason why they wouldn't do that, but you never know...