Seems like the DroidX takes a long time to charge

Flatland2D

Reaction score
My DroidX is my first Android and I just came from using Blackberry for several years. With my last Blackberry (Tour) it only took about 60 minutes to go from 0% to 100%, though I never took it that low and usually got a full charge in about 45 minutes.

The DroidX seems like it takes at least two hours, if not more, to get a full charge from near zero to 100%. This is when using the supplied wall charger.

At work I use a microUSB cable to charge my phone since I don't have a wall charger there. With the screen locked on (using the dock mode as a clock, though I don't actually have the dock itself) it did not appear to charge one bit after about an hour of being plugged in. The percentage never changed. I was kind of surprised that the phone is using all 500mA that the USB port is supplying just to run the screen. This means I can't have the screen on and expect to increase charge at the same time. Kind of sucks because I like looking at it.

Has anyone found a true rapid wall charger for cheap on Amazon or eBay? I've had bad luck before with other crappy wall chargers that put out less current than a USB cable, so if anyone has confirmed a good one, please let me know. It's also kind of lame that the supplied charger has such a short cable (I realize that's because it's a USB cable) but I'd like one with a longer cord. I just ordered two car chargers that people recommended on this forum so I've got that covered.

Any help would be appreciated.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
USB won't charge as fast as the wall. You should try to always charge via the WALL charger that came with your phone. If the cord is short, don't get a longer USB cable...get an extension cord.

OP
F

Flatland2D

Reaction score
I think you missed the point of what I was saying. I'm well aware that the wall charger charges faster than the USB, but even the wall charger seems to take longer than I would like. Charging with the USB is painfully slow or non-existent if you're using the phone for anything.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
extension cord is definitely great i have a 10 foot one

but i thought taking an hour or two to charge was really fast cause with all my other "dump" phone it would take all night to charge them

i think its just different phones and batteries take different times to charge two hours is still pretty fast

crazy talk

Reaction score
most computers USB ports can only output 500MA (some do more, check MB specs

almost all wall chargers output 1000MA.

FWIW, i haven't experienced any abnormal behavior with charging the phone. perhaps your battery is bad, or the charging circuitry is misbehaving.

the droidX, when connected to a 1A port will charge from 0% in 1.5 hours. (1540MAH battery)
the BB tour when connected to a 1A port will charge from 0% in 1.4 hours. (1400MAH battery)

(assuming no load on the battery)

A rapid charger would be good. Does that shorten the life of the battery though?

no, the Lithium batteries can be safely charged with no impact on longevity at 1C (1,540MAH in this case) charging at 1.1-2C tends to negatively impact battery life. and cant be done on a phone.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
So either have a bad battery or using a long USB cable or your charger/cable is damaged or phone is ganked or you're exaggerating. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk...just helpful and maybe funny.

stryguy

Reaction score
Let's face the facts here. The phone should charge off the USB port of his computer as all of ours do.

I'm betting the phone gets darn hot when he's charging it on the USB port doesn't it?

Download the free app called CPU Usage and you'll find your culprit.

OP
F

Flatland2D

Reaction score
For the record, it does charge through the USB, just slowly as expected. If I'm using the phone for anything while charging on the USB, it effectively doesn't charge at all as out appears the 500 mA supplied from the port is totally used by the phone and display.

Again, I'm comparing this to my BB Tour charging in the cradle powered from a wall charger. Never took more than an hour to charge no matter how low the battery was.

But don't get me wrong, this isn't a rant about how I regret switching to Android. I love this phone and couldn't imagine going back at this point. BB feels so ancient compared to this. I just need to change my charging habits and buy more chargers.

Just wondering if anyone else thought their Droid X charged slow.

Last edited:

VerizonUser

Reaction score
NOTE:
While charging a phone ALWAYS have it turned off for a faster charge
Also Before plugging you phone into a home charger turn the phone off and then plug it in, if needed on turn it on after you plug it in, this will prevent damaging your battery, over heating your phone, and a faster charge

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
NOTE:
Also Before plugging you phone into a home charger turn the phone off and then plug it in, if needed on turn it on after you plug it in, this will prevent damaging your battery, over heating your phone, and a faster charge

The Droid and X will turn on when you charge them. Its by design....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LT*

Reaction score
NOTE:

I don't know about the X, but my Droid cannot be turned off while charging. If it's charging it's on.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
NOTE:

I don't know where you got this info but it seems like total bs to me

Mr. Q

Reaction score
^^
not total b.s.
i'll explain why...power grids in the united states notoriously put out unclean power. most people don't plug their cell phones into a ups battery backup/clean power converter like they do computers/tv's/sound systems/etc. although not probable it is possible to damage or ruin your cell phone by just plugging it into a wall outlet.

that being said, i don't follow my own advice. it's too much of a hassle.

as far as the droid x charging slow, i agree. my x takes forever to charge.
-as far as turning the phone off while its charging...why would you want to turn this phone OFF? madness...