Want to upgrade from my Razr Maxx to the Droid Turbo . . . but . . .

ralphtt

Reaction score
I'm currently enjoying unlimited data with Verizon.

Is there any way to upgrade from the Razr Maxx to the Droid Turbo AND keep my unlimited data status?

Ralph T

Last edited by a moderator:

1coopgt

Reaction score
Buy the Turbo outright . At least that's my plan .

pchain

Reaction score
Even if I buy it full price outright, the turbo has a different size SIM, how do I activate a new SIM without Verizon knowing and automatically changing my Unlimited plan to an Everything More plan?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm currently enjoying unlimited data with Verizon.

Is there any way to upgrade from the Razr Maxx to the Droid Turbo AND keep my unlimited data status?

Ralph T

Only sure fire way to do that is to purchase directly. There were other methods in the past that would slide past the rules but Verizon has closed all those loopholes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Even if I buy it full price outright, the turbo has a different size SIM, how do I activate a new SIM without Verizon knowing and automatically changing my Unlimited plan to an Everything More plan?
Verizon will allow a phone change on your existing plan without interrupting or changing the plan and without you losing your grandfathering of unlimited data

Just request a new Sim for free and insert it into the new phone.

OP
R

ralphtt

Reaction score
Verizon will allow a phone change on your existing plan without interrupting or changing the plan and without you losing your grandfathering of unlimited data

Just request a new Sim for free and insert it into the new phone.

OP
R

ralphtt

Reaction score
Looks like I have some research & headscratchin' to do.
Appreciate the replies, folks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Like @FoxKat stated, buying a phone from any source and inserting your existing SIM card or requesting a new SIM card should not change or affect your plan in any way. My last two phones (Droid Razr M and Droid Maxx) were purchased online and I just walked into my Verizon store and asked for a new SIM and activation on my current number and they do it free of charge...no changes to your plan...and I maintained my unlimited data both times. When you buy the phone from them at a discounted price that's when your plan changes.

CT Raider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx (time 4 Turbo)
Only sure fire way to do that is to purchase directly. There were other methods in the past that would slide past the rules but Verizon has closed all those loopholes.

If I'm understanding correctly, one can no longer upgrade a dumb phone to (let's say) the Turbo adding a data plan, then revert back to dumb phone and activate Turbo in place of Droid Razr Maxx on UDP. Have I got this right?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The phone will come with a SIM card pre-installed. Charge it up and follow the instruction in the little book. And your only option is to buy the turbo outright.

sent from my XT1080 using tapatrash

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
CT raider, you can do that, but you can no longer remove the data from that line.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If I'm understanding correctly, one can no longer upgrade a dumb phone to (let's say) the Turbo adding a data plan, then revert back to dumb phone and activate Turbo in place of Droid Razr Maxx on UDP. Have I got this right?

CT raider, you can do that, but you can no longer remove the data from that line.

This is correct, as we're being told now. However, I did have an account rep at Verizon say "if you wait one month and call in, you can have the data package removed on the dumb phone line". This is NOT CONFIRMED, so there's no way that I know of and can be sure will work, to do what we all would love to be able to do - especially us who either have Unlimited data as I do, or the Friends and Family plan as I do.

1coopgt

Reaction score
The phone will come with a SIM card pre-installed. Charge it up and follow the instruction in the little book. And your only option is to buy the turbo outright.

This is how it worked when I picked up my S5 .

CT Raider

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx (time 4 Turbo)
I'd rather not pay full boat if I don't have to. :cool:

So tell me what you think of this:
(methods that have been confirmed to work after 8/24/14 (found further down the page (in link below)))
Instructions
Purchase your phone through Bestbuy.com and choose the option to ship the phone to your home. Do not purchase in-store, activate in-store, or choose in-store pickup. While adding the phone to your cart it'll ask you to provide your Verizon login credentials; do so but choose the option "Keep existing plan". When you choose add to cart you'll see "There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans. Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default." but we've all ignored it. Once your phone arrives at your home, DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!!! Pull the SIM card out of the back of the phone and chop it up. For some phones, the SIM will come in a small box that you can toss out. Turning your phone on with the new SIM card or calling Verizon to activate the new SIM card WILL remove your unlimited data plan.

Take your SIM card from your old phone and place it into your new phone. Your SIM is already activated so there's nothing more you need to do. Your phone should be good to go and your Verizon contract will be renewed for 2 years but your unlimited data will stay intact. As required, your contract is renewed and as specified on Bestbuy's website you said you wanted to keep your unlimited data so you're not breaking your terms of service or doing anything unethical.

All SIM cards are not created equal. There are 3 common types of SIM cards; Mini SIM, Micro SIM, and Nano SIM. The Mini SIM is in some older phones. I can tell you for certain that the Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, and S5 all use the micro SIM card. Some iPhones use Nano SIM cards. The HTC Thunderbird uses a mini SIM card. However, they are all basically the same SIM but different sizes. This means you can cut your SIM to a smaller shape if need be or you can buy an adapter to make it bigger. If you're nervous about cutting your SIM, you can buy a special cutting tool to do it for you. I started a wiki for adding each phone and the SIM card size it uses.

FOUND HERE (many more details as well):
Upgrade and keep your Unlimited Data with Verizon 05-29-2014 - Slickdeals.net

xratablancax

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 no root :(
Does CT Raider's method still work? does anyone know about this?