Will Droid Turbo work w/Fox Fi? What if I buy an unlocked phone? Does that matter?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Turbo' started by TamBam, Dec 24, 2014.

1. TamBam

TamBam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    DROID RAZR
    Hello, I am a newbie. I am not tech savvy, so please reply with simple language, or explanations. I want to upgrade from my DROID RAZR (Verizon) to the Droid TURBO, and FoxFi *does* currently work on my RAZR phone. I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan and must buy a phone at retail price to keep that plan. Since I have to pay a high price anyway, I do have the option to buy an unlocked phone. Will FoxFi work with an UNlocked phone, or even a locked phone? Thank you.

2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Welcome to the forum TamBam! I don't think it does at the moment, but hopefully one of our Turbo members can verify. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

3. dman4915

dman4915 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No it doesn't work it's blocked by Verizon. I just turn on my hotspot through the myverizon app when I need it and just pay $1 a day. It's still worth it if you don't have any other form of internet to just pay for the hotspot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +936
    USB tether thru FoxFi works.

• Like Like x 1
  5. N1smo

N1smo New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid 3
    If you have a 4G iPad, you can pull the Sim out of the phone and stick it into the iPad. I have Vonage also and when I use the iPad for data, I forward the cell to Vonage and it would ring my iPad through the Vonage extensions app. To make calls, I use Google Hangout. The great thing about this setup is that Verizon didn't block the iPad's built in tethering so I could tether my laptop and anything else I want to it. I run this setup on long trips since the iPad's battery life is bad ass and I can stream YouTube or whatever on a much bigger screen in the car. That's my middle finger to Verizon, I also have a Moto X that is rooted but I like this setup better. Food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Wow, using the iPad and your SIM to get wireless tethering is an interesting loophole.

7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I'll have to try again... I couldn't get my laptop to connect.

8. TamBam

TamBam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    DROID RAZR
    Thanks for the answer dman. I read somewhere else that someone said it would work with a USB cable, but only saw that in one place. I agree with what you said and have somewhat resigned myself to believing that for the few times a year I need a hotspot, I might just have to pay up to Verizon. In the end it's probably still cheaper. And maybe eventually FoxFi will find a way to resolve the block. I'm wondering if any other apps provide what FoxFi does. In any case, now my only question is whether to give up my unlimited data plan, but in the end, I think that decision pays to keep the unlimited (grandfathered) data plan and buy an unlocked phone anyway. Thanks again. Happy New Year.

Search tags for this page
can droid turbo use foxfi
does foxifi work with motorola droid turbo 2
driod turbo and foxfi
droid turbo and foxfi
droid turbo foxfi
foxfi and droid turbo

foxfi droid turbo

foxfi for droid turbo
foxfi work on the turbo
foxfi work with droid turbo