Unlimited Data & Hotspotting?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Easy Tether app with their Droid Turbo? I have a Nexus 7 (2013) wifi only that I used to occasionally tether to my S4, but just realized with my new DT vzn is now charging an additional $30a month for something I used to do for free. How did I miss that when I bought the DT?
It's always cost a little more using hotspot on the unlimited plan. There are three options at this point which are (1) purchasing the hotspot ability via Verizon, (2) using Easy Tether via USB cable, or (3) rooting your device for use with WiFi hotspot via Play Store.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've certainly considered just paying the extra monthly charge for the legit hotspot but to be honest I don't use it that frequently and I'd rather not spend an extra few hundred dollars a year for something I only need once every few months. (I mainly use it on the occasional business trip where I have to upload and download large video files that typical hotel wi-fi can never handle).

So even if I need to spend a few hours figuring out a free tethering workaround, it's worth it to save the few hundred dollars a year in my book. I just want to make sure it's possible with the Droid Turbo because if not I'd probably just rather wait for another power phone that can...I was just really digging the Turbo.

If I buy the Turbo off contract, do I still have the 14 days to return the device and get my money back? If so, perhaps I'll purchase, try out the tethering and if I can't get it working sufficiently, just return the phone and switch back to my DNA.

For the benefit of @ralexwp and all other users, if you only need Hotspot on an frequent basis, there's no need to pay the full monthly fee of $30.

Hotspot can be turned on and off by Verizon on a daily basis at 1 dollar per day cost.

Simply call 800 922 0204 and request Hotspot to be turned on for the day that you need it, and it becomes active in minutes. Then, when you're done call them back and ask them to turn it off again. There is also no limit as to how frequently you can turn Hotspot on and off.

This can be done on the unlimited data plan and there are no penalties or risk to the data plan.

If you need Hotspot for just 3 individual or consecutive days this month, you pay a total of 3 dollars prorated for that service. If you need it for 5 days next month, you'll pay $5.

IMHO, anyone who pays the full $30 per month subscription price for Hotspot and isn't using it every day of every month is wasting money and simply padding the pockets of the Verizon stockholders.

ralexwp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid DNA
Thank you FoxKat! I've gotten USB/Bluetooth tethering to work fine on my Turbo so that'll probably suffice but in the rare times I need to connect multiple devices via a hotspot I'll certainly resort to paying Verizon on a daily basis. I did not know that was an option so definitely good to know. Thanks again!

Avy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid maxx xt1080
Hi, thank you for the info. I'd like to point out a way to create a hotspot from any computer if you are on verizon unlimited data while tethering a connection. Download the free, open source program, virualwifirouter. com. You may need a wlan wifi usb adapter ($15) if you have a desktop. Now you're hotspotting while tethering for free. It's been a stable hotspot thus far for everything from Mac laptops to old droids and even a new unactivated droid. Hope this may help someone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi, thank you for the info. I'd like to point out a way to create a hotspot from any computer if you are on verizon unlimited data while tethering a connection. Download the free, open source program, virualwifirouter. com. You may need a wlan wifi usb adapter ($15) if you have a desktop. Now you're hotspotting while tethering for free. It's been a stable hotspot thus far for everything from Mac laptops to old droids and even a new unactivated droid. Hope this may help someone.
@Avy , that looks interesting as an option where you're trying to give perhaps another phone, tablet or other device Internet access. For me it's giving the laptop access so getting access via cable eliminates the need to go wireless. It's just that wireless is so much more convenient.