Turbo using large amounts of Data

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well I be dog, I just checked and my Gmail account is not syncing at all. It says, Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly. It didn't say this when I first get the phone because I always go in this app and turn off G+ photos and G+ uploads. Sir you have been a big help, thank you for sharing with me.

I have experienced the same thing with gmail not syncing with both of my Turbos. Odd.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Inbox told me it was shutting off Gmail notifications recently. Have y'all gotten the same message?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Inbox told me it was shutting off Gmail notifications recently. Have y'all gotten the same message?
I am using G Mail 5.0 primarily, but still have Inbox installed to share Invites with and check out once in a while. But I have not received any abnormal messages from the Inbox app. I do have a Maxx though...not a Turbo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't have a Turbo either, but my Google Account Services usage is higher than normal. I'm wondering if it is because of Inbox or GMail.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I too have noticed a large increase in wireless data use since getting my Turbo. I know I'm using it more because is fast and I like it, but it's more than that. I poked around a bit today and learned some things.

1) I downloaded my wireless data usage details from the Verizon website. I found out that a fairly large quantity of data is being used while I know I'm connected to my home Wi-Fi. I can verify usage from 12/3/14 to 12/19/14 of 85MB while Wi-Fi is on and I'm connected and I suspect another 340MB was consumed just at the end of Wi-Fi use or just immediately after disconnecting from Wi-Fi. I suspect this time of day due to it being about the time I leave for work at 6:30am (+/- 15min depending on how motivated I am :). That total of 425MB is nearly 40% of my total data usage this month so far!

2) Perhaps the more interesting & somewhat concerning thing I learned was a feature I thought I understood under the android wi-fi settings (Settings/Wi-Fi/Advanced) called 'Scanning always available'. I thought this option was just used for better location reporting. However, according to Verizon's support page this option is actually used to assist data throughput. Details at the link below:

Auto Switch Between Wi Fi Mobile Data Networks DROID TURBO by Motorola Verizon Wireless

Based on this article I disabled this feature to prevent usage of wireless data while connected to Wi-Fi. I will monitor data usage while connected to Wi-Fi and report back any findings from 12/19 on. Maybe we can have another member look this over to sanity check their usage as well. Better yet, maybe one of these outstanding fellows @94lt1 @cr6 or @FoxKat can confirm or deny this is an existing/known issue on Droid Turbo or other phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I too have noticed a large increase in wireless data use since getting my Turbo. I know I'm using it more because is fast and I like it, but it's more than that. I poked around a bit today and learned some things.

1) I downloaded my wireless data usage details from the Verizon website. I found out that a fairly large quantity of data is being used while I know I'm connected to my home Wi-Fi. I can verify usage from 12/3/14 to 12/19/14 of 85MB while Wi-Fi is on and I'm connected and I suspect another 340MB was consumed just at the end of Wi-Fi use or just immediately after disconnecting from Wi-Fi. I suspect this time of day due to it being about the time I leave for work at 6:30am (+/- 15min depending on how motivated I am :). That total of 425MB is nearly 40% of my total data usage this month so far!

2) Perhaps the more interesting & somewhat concerning thing I learned was a feature I thought I understood under the android wi-fi settings (Settings/Wi-Fi/Advanced) called 'Scanning always available'. I thought this option was just used for better location reporting. However, according to Verizon's support page this option is actually used to assist data throughput. Details at the link below:

Auto Switch Between Wi Fi Mobile Data Networks DROID TURBO by Motorola Verizon Wireless

Based on this article I disabled this feature to prevent usage of wireless data while connected to Wi-Fi. I will monitor data usage while connected to Wi-Fi and report back any findings from 12/19 on. Maybe we can have another member look this over to sanity check their usage as well. Better yet, maybe one of these outstanding fellows @94lt1 @cr6 or @FoxKat can confirm or deny this is an existing/known issue on Droid Turbo or other phones.

@TDL1068 I can confirm that for the very reason you cited. I read that instruction tidbit and concluded the very same thing...if I am on WIFI and want to preserve Mobile Data consumption I would not want the phone to be able to arbitrarily decide to jump onto the cellular network and start eating MBs without my knowledge. However in my case at least, I have unlimited data on the cellular network, so for me it's actually a benefit. I didn't disable that feature because it does exactly what it's intended to do, however it also as a result doesn't consume a finite resource - for me, it's infinite.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry I can't really help since I don't have a Turbo. I have UDP as well but I rarely use WiFi, so I keep the "always scanning" box unchecked on my device since its rather pointless to keep it scanning for WiFi I don't use.
We do have quite a few Turbo owners here on DF & I'm sure they'll be happy to give you their input. Good luck!
FWIW, I did see a significant increase in my battery life after unchecking that box some time ago.

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It is a known issue with the turbo.. One that they need to fix.. Imho.. If i connect to a WiFi source.. Then i expect to be independent of the providers network and don't want to worry about how much of my data I might be using..

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I haven't had any issues of excess data usage. I used less than 2 gigs last month between two lines because we are on WiFi pretty much all the time.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I haven't had any issues of excess data usage. I used less than 2 gigs last month between two lines because we are on WiFi pretty much all the time.

I'd be curious to know if you have the 'Scanning always available' option enabled in your advanced wi-fi settings.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yep...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419088462040.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1419088462040.png
    361.5 KB · Views: 204

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Gotcha. Thanks. You may not see the data usage as much since you say you're on Wi-Fi pretty much all the time. I likely see the affects more so since I'm only on Wi-Fi ~1/2 of my day. Between the data used when not on Wi-Fi and the data used when the Wi-Fi connection was not optimal I'm screaming through my data allowance at an alarming rate.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yeah I'm on WiFi at work and at home so really only using data when I'm running around. Hopefully this issue gets fixed for those dealing with it.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
It's not that this is a problem that needs to be fixed as far as I can tell. It's just that option description is a bit deceiving and can cause additional, unwanted data usage.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I haven't seen any excessive use of data on my Turbo. For the first two weeks of December is was almost always connected to WiFi, while at home and on my college campus, and I only used about 150MB of data, which is about right for the time I wasn't on WiFi. I do have "Scanning always available" off though so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Last edited: