Unlimited Data & Hotspotting?

Beer

Reaction score
I've been nursing my aging Maxx along for some time now and am pretty excited about some of the offerings that are right around the corner. Does anybody have any speculation about hot spotting the Turbo if you have unlimited data? I seem to recall it was blocked on the stock Maxx builds but I'm running Cyanogen. I've also heard rumor that rooting Lollipop is not going to be a picnic.

-Beer

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Rooting anything on verizon, will not be a picnic.. I think people are offering bounties to get it done on some devices..

If it's done, there's always cyanogen or if someone gets creative.. There might be an entitlement hack... It's a pain.. But i have a g1 razr maxx that's rooted, and updates are frozen. It has the entitlement hack done on it.. Its a pain because of swapping two devices.. But it works..

In my opinion, I think the turbo will be rooted, because there will be other variants of it on tmob and att

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
actually very good point for those of us looking to pay full retail - what would really be the point if we can't hotspot?

Any word on how PDAnet works? I don't necessarily need hotspot and would be willing to pay for PDAnet to USB tether if it works reliably.

In other words, can I count on some 3rd party app giving me the ability to tether for free?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So far, pda doesn't work on 4.4 moto devices... At least, not that I'm aware of..

jfriend33

Reaction score
You may have luck with easy tether pro. That ALWAYS worked with non rooted droid maxx after 4.4. It's usb tho... So not popular.

We'll wait and hope for sunshine root. Remember the turbo is akin to the moto X 2nd Gen...

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

markymark

Reaction score
So far, pda doesn't work on 4.4 moto devices... At least, not that I'm aware of..
I have an RMHD with KitKat 4.4.2. You are correct that FoxFi mobile hotspot will not work with KitKat Moto devices. (Unless of course you have wifi hotspot on your plan in which case you don't need FoxFi...) However pdanet usb and Bluetooth tether both work fine. I use the Bluetooth tether all the time on my Asus Windows tablet and it works like a champ.

OP
Beer

Beer

Reaction score
Hmm... looks like Verizon charges $30/month for this privilege. The thought of USB or Bluetooth tethering doesn't really blow up my skirt :-/

ralexwp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid DNA
Hi there, I'm new here but I'm very seriously considering upgrading to the Turbo. I want to keep my unlimited data and my tethering feature that I currently get by using FoxFi on my Droid DNA. I'm curious if there have been any more developments on this over the last couple weeks for anyone?

I tried out the Turbo in store today and loved it and have no problem paying full retail to keep my unlimited data but if I can't tether it to my computers then that's probably a deal-breaker for me. Even if the tethering is limited to over USB that'd be enough for me (although over wi-fi as I currently have now on my DNA would be nice.)

Any help would be appreciated!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I purchased FoxFi....no wireless tether currently. The USB tether works, generally. I get fantastic speeds at times, while other times it seems almost unuseable. so USB tether does get the job done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm sure this phone will eventually be rooted. But until then just use USB tether.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Don't know how much data you use, but you can always go legit and pony up the $30 extra dollars a month for hotspot activation. I did for my 2 unlimited lines a few years back because of the difficulties of finding work arounds for the hotspot.

I know, you are already paying $30 for the data and it's not fair, right? Well, if you're using 10GB of data per month, it'd cost you $80, so I don't think that $60 is too much to ask if you're unlimited. I know. I'm in the minority. Give it to me for free. That's today's generation. Guess I'm getting old, or am old, or something.

I should change my nic to grumpy old man who likes to pay for what he's using...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know, you are already paying $30 for the data and it's not fair, right? Well, if you're using 10GB of data per month, it'd cost you $80, so I don't think that $60 is too much to ask if you're unlimited. I know. I'm in the minority. Give it to me for free. That's today's generation. Guess I'm getting old, or am old, or something.

Is that even still an option with unlimited? And I thought the legacy tether plans were $20/mo for just 2 gigs....not aware of any plan at any time that allowed unlimited tethering for just $30.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
If you add a data line to your unlimited plan, they still charge you $20 for the hostpot. So, for a 2GB plan at $30 per month, you have to pay $20 per month to use it as a hotspot. This is the reason the FCC sued VZW back in 2012 and VZW settled. Which is also why we no longer have these plans as an option to choose from. VZW settled out of court and then quickly changed their pricing structure. Now the hotspot is free, but you cannot have the unlimited plan on the same account.

ralexwp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid DNA
I've certainly considered just paying the extra monthly charge for the legit hotspot but to be honest I don't use it that frequently and I'd rather not spend an extra few hundred dollars a year for something I only need once every few months. (I mainly use it on the occasional business trip where I have to upload and download large video files that typical hotel wi-fi can never handle).

So even if I need to spend a few hours figuring out a free tethering workaround, it's worth it to save the few hundred dollars a year in my book. I just want to make sure it's possible with the Droid Turbo because if not I'd probably just rather wait for another power phone that can...I was just really digging the Turbo.

If I buy the Turbo off contract, do I still have the 14 days to return the device and get my money back? If so, perhaps I'll purchase, try out the tethering and if I can't get it working sufficiently, just return the phone and switch back to my DNA.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
No. It's not worth it to pay the $30 if you're only using it sparingly. Waste of money. I've heard that there's an app that might work. Easy tether? Maybe someone else has tried it.

btc1951

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Easy Tether app with their Droid Turbo? I have a Nexus 7 (2013) wifi only that I used to occasionally tether to my S4, but just realized with my new DT vzn is now charging an additional $30a month for something I used to do for free. How did I miss that when I bought the DT?