Wait for 2.1 or root now - motodroid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Add me to the list of holdouts who finally decided to root. I was hoping we'd see the real 2.1 by now. Then I started reading about overclocking and all the cool features that rooted users had so I decided to cave in. I can't recommend enough using the DroidMod1.0 to start with. It's so easy to root with that program, and if you decide later once you have gained some confidence in custom ROM's, then start exploring other ones, like the Smoked Glass 5.0.1 from AdamZ. I've been using that ROM since Saturday night and it's flawless. I think the only way I'll unroot and take the OTA would be if that was the only way to ever get Flash to work on my Moto Droid. But, I'm sure the ROM authors will have Flash on their ROM's in no time too.

THe devs are already dicing up and playing with flash they may have it to us before moto and vzw. And if that happens then i can care less what moto does.

go to droid life: a motorola droid blog to see the vids.

htc sense ui ported to motorola droid

>> Sunday, February 28, 2010

#fullpost{display:none;} i know that many of you including myself, have been wishing for someone to finally bring us some version of htc's sense ui on the motorola droid and that time is almost here. the many developing geniuses that run the alldroid.org forums have come through once again like no one else can. this time, developer thegeektern released screen caps and videos with a motorola droid running both sense ui and flash.

neither are available to download or use at this time, but it may be just a few days away.

screenies...

shakiest most jittery video ever...

update 5:09pm: a much nicer video...

to see a ton of other screen shots and another shaky video head over to alldroid.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Droid does nearly everything I need at a good speed so I feel no need to root.

If it works why mess with it.

DroidBoy22

Reaction score
That's what I said when I 1st got the Droid. Now though it feels like the Droid is seriously being bogged down and the 550MHz just isn't cutting it no more. It lags way too much. I'm so glad this thread popped up. I'm in the exact same position. I can't find any good thread on the official 2.1 too since the mods locked them all and I can't find em through the search engine. I think I'm gonna root my phone sometime this week. I'm sick of waiting.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's what I said when I 1st got the Droid. Now though it feels like the Droid is seriously being bogged down and the 550MHz just isn't cutting it no more. It lags way too much. I'm so glad this thread popped up. I'm in the exact same position. I can't find any good thread on the official 2.1 too since the mods locked them all and I can't find em through the search engine. I think I'm gonna root my phone sometime this week. I'm sick of waiting.

The mods left atleast 1 2.1 thread open. What was happening was everyday somebody would open 4 diff threads about the same thing and it was getting annoying. I am o/c and majority of the time I am running at 600 and the extra 50 makes it fly compared to 550. I will admit that at 800 and 1000 it is even faster, but I trey to conserve my battery life, so I leave it at 600 unless I really need a speed boost (i.e running data intensive sites). For those that has rooted, they can confirm that it takes your mind off of 2.1. The resources and people on this site will do more then any other place, to help you get rooted, un rooted, or what ever you want to learn to do with your device. I do not think you can find another place on the web that has this much experience and a friendly community willing to go out their way to help you.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
The roms will be updated for it if the 2.1 is even worthwhile so i would not worry about it.:icon_ banana:

gruve

Reaction score
I'm going to root this weekend, I was holding out but if the OTA update comes it sounds like it's easy to unroot. Will the OTA give a notification of the update with an option to download, or will it automaticly download?

huskur

Reaction score
I'm going to root this weekend, I was holding out but if the OTA update comes it sounds like it's easy to unroot. Will the OTA give a notification of the update with an option to download, or will it automaticly download?

Most ROMs block OTA updates. I to am going to root this weekend after i get all my kids to sleep and i have a free hour or to with no interruptions.

I personally, will not worry to much about the update. The devs on this site will have 2.1 cracked in no time at all i am sure and have there own ROMs for us to use.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As much as I dont want to install 2.1, IF 2.1 is released before adobe flash and its hinted that it is a must have for flash. I am going to unroot and install and then root again.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
I have rooted twice and unrooted twice. I am rooting again for the third time. Don't ask why!

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root all the way, I am running DroidMod v1.0 with Stanrc's Blackmod Bar
It has all of 2.1's goodness plus overclocked to 1GHz
Attached is a screenie

zegwin

Reaction score
I want 2.1
I don't care that it's not done
refrigerator

MrKleen

Reaction score
It is amazing how many people are finally starting to see the benefits of rooting and running an improved rom. The modified 2.0.1 roms with all the features and more that you would ever get in 2.1 are great. I think that those that are scared would never look back if they were able to see it on someone elses phone. Now even the fear of voiding a warranty is no longer since you can revert back to pure stock as if it were never rooted to begin with. And it's almost impossible to "brick" your phone anymore. Because even if your phone is messed up there is software you can put on your computer to flash your phone back to 2.0.1 just like they can do at the store.

Probably a big reason in the sudden swarm of rooting is the easy to use Droidmod.... For someone that doesn't want to know anything about what they are doing and simply want it done easily, this is a fantastic way to go about it! And if for some reason you want to go back to stock it's just as easy.

For someone that wants to be a little more involved in the process of rooting and installing a rom (very easy) here is a guide. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip-79.html This is the guide I used and it was a piece of cake. I am running Pete's Bugless Beast 1.1 and love it. It's got everything you could possibly want, with no need to wait.

Whichever way you decide to root and install your rom you will be very happy. If you want you can even bounce back and forth between stock and a modified rom just like some are doing. However I would be willing to bet that after you try it you won't be going back anytime soon.

Peace, and good luck!

MrKleen

Reaction score
If anything that Droid users guide should show you they are in no rush to get us our update. That has been there a long time. They are not giving us any indication that the update is coming any time soon.

It would be nice if they would tell us something other than soon. It's almost been a month since they told us soon. Good grief.