Wait for 2.1 or root now - motodroid

mootsucks

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a motorola droid 2.0.1 :motdroidvert: not rooted or anything, although I could easily root it and do whatever. I have launcher+ for 5 home screens and different applications and I was wondering if I should root my phone now and install a custom rom or should I just wait for 2.1 to come out.

I bought the phone right when they said that 2.1 was coming out for the droid this week, and its been some time now since that was announced. I've been lurking on the forums to see if there was any information as to the release date, but to no avail.

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated, thanks! :reddroid:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for root.

+2 for reading about it before you do it.

You could be waiting awhile for 2.1.

OP
M

mootsucks

Reaction score
Is there a way to make an exact backup image, so if anything happens I can restore it to its IDENTICAL state? I saw a few guides on how to back up some data info, but playing with emulators and editing apps, I would like to be able to restore it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to make an exact backup image, so if anything happens I can restore it to its IDENTICAL state? I saw a few guides on how to back up some data info, but playing with emulators and editing apps, I would like to be able to restore it.

You want to use Nandroid to do this. If you use DroidMod, then it will help you do this (basically do it for you).

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
Ive had Moto Droid from day 1 and just Rooted today.... I love it but do your homework here on the forum and ask questions before you do it.

rawburt

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you waiting for 2.1 doing all the different home replacements and launchers. But they were all had so many bugs. After doing my research on droidmod and seeing the step by step how tos on droid-life, I finally decided to do it. It was so simple and you can go right back to stock with ease

pyro6128

Reaction score
Do your homework, and then after you should root. 2.1 is going to come out anyway, and then its going to get cracked and there will be a rom out shortly after its out. Might as well enjoy your droid even more now, then even more after 2.1 comes out. But make sure you read up on things first so you don't get frustrated with errors. And yea, if you do an advanced nandroid backup, you can restore back to exactly the way you were.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Heres how I see it. If you root, you can have the ability to install custom ROMS that are built to add additional enhancements, features and bug fixes. All from very talented and knowledgeable techies right here in this forum (other forums as well). Since Android is pretty much open source, this is what is expected. Sitting around waiting forever for updates to come from a service provider is just plain dumb. You may even get better support here than some 800 number. As someone said, do your homework and it will pay off in the end.

pyro6128

Reaction score
very good point on the support. I don't think there is a question you could have that couldn't be answered here (except for "when is 2.1 coming out"). And when people don't know the answer, they try and get the answer, unlike verizon.

toddegreene

Reaction score
Root now and enjoy the advantages. When 2.1 is released you can decide whether it's worthwhile and unroot. If you don't root before 2.1 is released, it may be a while before that root is obtained.

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
With as easy as droidmod makes it you might as well. Even if you decide you want to OTA update to 2.1 you can go back to stock and do so. However I am not sure why you would want to do that lol

barbee

Reaction score
i got sick and tired of waiting. theres no telling when 2.1 is coming. i rooted about a week ago. installed droidmod, then smoked glass, now im back to droidmod. its super easy and if you want the OTA then you can restore your settings and update. dont really know if i will though. To me a rooted 2.0.1 has many more advantages of an unrooted 2.1. but when a root for 2.... who cares what i think lol

+1 for root:icon_ banana:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of holdouts who finally decided to root. I was hoping we'd see the real 2.1 by now. Then I started reading about overclocking and all the cool features that rooted users had so I decided to cave in. I can't recommend enough using the DroidMod1.0 to start with. It's so easy to root with that program, and if you decide later once you have gained some confidence in custom ROM's, then start exploring other ones, like the Smoked Glass 5.0.1 from AdamZ. I've been using that ROM since Saturday night and it's flawless. I think the only way I'll unroot and take the OTA would be if that was the only way to ever get Flash to work on my Moto Droid. But, I'm sure the ROM authors will have Flash on their ROM's in no time too.