Root or Wait for 2.1.......

OP
NYZ93

NYZ93

Reaction score
i guess the real question is when will 2.1 come out:confused:

Wannabe

Reaction score
I'm waiting. Hopefully 2.1 comes out within the next week or else I might end up rooting.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
wait for it.

it's not even optimized for Droid so why bother?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root and have some fun before it comes out. Then wait for it to be customized/optimized and then just flash the new ROM... Waiting doesn't really do any good at this point... it's likely going to be a LONG wait until Moto/VZW OTAs 2.1....

I was waiting but got tired... I'll have a lot of fun between now and whenever Moto gets off their a$$es and releases something...

M

Matth3w

I rooted. The only thing I care about in 2.1 is Flash support. And I'd rather have a rooted phone, overclocked, with more control, the Milestone multi-touch browser, etc etc as opposed to just having Flash.

s-one

Reaction score
I'm too waiting and once 2.1 comes I'm rooting the madness outta my Droooooooid.

Dankinia

Reaction score
I have been debating this as well and figured I will wait a bit longer and see what happens.

M

Matth3w

If you're comfortable rooting, there is no reason really to wait though. There are plenty of stable rooted roms out there that give you nice features, such as the multi-touch Milestone browser, the ability to overclock or hell (my favorite) just the ability to do a screen capture without using a home replacement app.

It's not like once you root you can never go back to non-rooted. Furthermore, once 2.1 comes out, wait a little while longer and the roms will have flash and then you just have to do a nandroid backup or update.zip and install the new rom with Flash.

What are you guys waiting for that comes with 2.1 that you can't get with a rooted droid (except Flash)?

s-one

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the all clear and not seeing post like: "OTA 2.1 briiiiiiiiiiiicked mah Droid!" .. ya know.. you never know.. I've already learned my lesson and regardless of what any of you "pre-watcha waitin for" peeps... I'm patiently waitin. ;)

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
The 2.1 official update is suppose to block the root exploit. So I wouldn't update to official 2.1 if you plan on getting rooted.

Want my opinion? root your phone now, and get the custom recovery. Your going to need that anyway, so get ahead and you will have less work to do when the custom 2.1 ROM releases (or at least a 2.1 ROM that allows you to re-root if needed one day).

In any case, whatever you do, don't install official 2.1 that Verizon releases. You won't be able to root your phone (unless somebody makes a new root hack, which could take forever...).

s-one

Reaction score
^^ Now that's a valid point. Thanks!

Edit: Ok so I was trying to be patient and here comes along SwordOfWar. You my friend caused me to root my Droid! So now I'm rooted and romified! hahaha.. thanks man. :)

Guchi

Reaction score
root and go with the new bugless beast, its great

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
root and go with the new bugless beast, its great

I agree. The most stable yet feature rich ROM has to be the bugless beast at the moment. Sholes ROM supposedly has a lot more stuff in it, but when I switched from a Sholes ROM to the bugless beast rom, I can't think of anything I'm actually missing. Bugless Beast is more stable and seems a lot faster than the past Sholes ROMs I tried.

I'm still disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a "real" custom ROM out there. Most of the things you see in these ROMs can manually be added to the stock ROM, just by following the guides for each individual tweak you like that has been found.

So really its more like an installer package collection of tweaks posted all over this forum and the alldroid forum put together in one easy package.

I'm still waiting on a real ROM, with automatic custom updates built into it. It would be nice if we had a market app that at least checks and says "hey, there is a new custom ROM of the one you have installed!" and offered us an option to update without having to go to a computer.