VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, well then the option is to leave. You don't need extra money for that. Maybe an ETF, but if people really believe they're being screwed royally, the ETF is something they can eat if it means saving tons of money in the long run. Like I said, i think it's all talk and a way for people to convince themselves that they're being screwed by some dishonestly or illegal-ness by VZW.

No matter how I look at it, I can't find a justification for tethering. It doesn't exist. Doesnt matter if its 40GB or 1KB. They have a right to take away the means because you're using their network in a way that they dont allow. There is no argument that makes it ok.

I just get tired of all these threads popping up with all the buffet analogies and people refusing to see the real picture.

You can leave or you can point out to the company the problem. If Iam a big fan of nissan cars and I notice that something in the design is causing a problem I could leave or I can point out the issue. Point is this as long as vzw continue to do what they are doing many will turn a blind eye to people using unauthorized tethering apps. Its hard for me to go to users and say stop stealing from vzw but allow vzw to continue taking from the customer. Just because vzw ceos wear a suit and tie does not make it right that they charge some one for nothing. But we can go back and forth all day but nothing I say or you say will change anything tomorrow.

Well yeah, but you can't point it out after you break the rules. That's like saying "I dont agree with the laws against drinking and driving, so I'm going to drink and drive and then sue the government for not allowing it". The whole "I'm a freedom fighter" stuff is crap. People are tethering because they're trying to get something for free, not because they're sitting at home going "this is an injustice and I will not stand for this!!"...

I am actually on the other end. I pay for tethering but use wifi tethering for root users because its more stable. I had the same mindset as you. Its hard to email and call vzw about their ridiculous plans if I am using a backdoor method. And before you say anything I actually asked vzw if I tether can I use a more stable app from the market then what they offering as long as i continue to pay my $20 and I was told yes. My point is that we have this grey area and if you want to make it a black and white area then they need to redo their plans. Basically take the power out of the hands of devs so we can stop those that are abusing the system.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They made jailbreaking your phone legal last year

Sent from my DROID PRO

That ruling did not give people the right to tether for free.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
And I figure that vzw will have about as much success in shutting it down as p2p sharing. It seems that everyone seems to think that a big corporation trying to shut something down is new.

Sent from my Droid

They don't need to shut it down. They can charge you for it when you do it though, and they'll have no problem convincing any court that what they did was right.

How are the going to prove I'm tethering?

Sent from my Droid

I wouldn't make much of a mistake about it. I would bet Verizon can tell when you're tethering. There are several ways of telling this. Don't think they are that dumb.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
And I figure that vzw will have about as much success in shutting it down as p2p sharing. It seems that everyone seems to think that a big corporation trying to shut something down is new.

Sent from my Droid

They don't need to shut it down. They can charge you for it when you do it though, and they'll have no problem convincing any court that what they did was right.

Sent from my Droid

you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out if someone is tethering...like i said, i will never understand why or how people think there is a GAPING loophole that allows you to circumvent a paid service and the providers of that service are scratching their heads wondering how you did it. It's silliness to the 200th degree. Of course they can tell your tethering, whether it be analyzing packet data, or a simple script that they run to see how you are connecting to their network.

You probably think that if you use a proxy, that you are invisible online and no one can trace you too, right? Or if you piggyback off someone's wifi, that you can do illegal things with no repercussions....right? LOL.

cynnar

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

I wouldn't make much of a mistake about it. I would bet Verizon can tell when you're tethering. There are several ways of telling this. Don't think they are that dumb.

Did not know hacking was legal now? WOW the fun I can have. Come on now. And if you say by the spike in data usage then everyone is in trouble. Why do you think it is unlimited?

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can leave or you can point out to the company the problem. If Iam a big fan of nissan cars and I notice that something in the design is causing a problem I could leave or I can point out the issue. Point is this as long as vzw continue to do what they are doing many will turn a blind eye to people using unauthorized tethering apps. Its hard for me to go to users and say stop stealing from vzw but allow vzw to continue taking from the customer. Just because vzw ceos wear a suit and tie does not make it right that they charge some one for nothing. But we can go back and forth all day but nothing I say or you say will change anything tomorrow.

Well yeah, but you can't point it out after you break the rules. That's like saying "I dont agree with the laws against drinking and driving, so I'm going to drink and drive and then sue the government for not allowing it". The whole "I'm a freedom fighter" stuff is crap. People are tethering because they're trying to get something for free, not because they're sitting at home going "this is an injustice and I will not stand for this!!"...

I am actually on the other end. I pay for tethering but use wifi tethering for root users because its more stable. I had the same mindset as you. Its hard to email and call vzw about their ridiculous plans if I am using a backdoor method. And before you say anything I actually asked vzw if I tether can I use a more stable app from the market then what they offering as long as i continue to pay my $20 and I was told yes. My point is that we have this grey area and if you want to make it a black and white area then they need to redo their plans. Basically take the power out of the hands of devs so we can stop those that are abusing the system.

There is no gray area man. What is the gray area. I can tell you the black and white area: Not allowed by TOS. Can you conceptualize the gray area? Cuz I don't see it. Saying it's not fair for light tetherers is not a gray area. That's just people trying to justify circumventing a paid service.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Sent from my Droid

Did not know hacking was legal now? WOW the fun I can have. Come on now. And if you say by the spike in data usage then everyone is in trouble. Why do you think it is unlimited?

Sent from my Droid

What exactly are you talking about with this post? Rooting and jailbreaking are legal to do, but also void your warranty. And we're not talking about spikes in usage. We're talking about data being sent and received in different methods. They can tell these things.

cynnar

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out if someone is tethering...like i said, i will never understand why or how people think there is a GAPING loophole that allows you to circumvent a paid service and the providers of that service are scratching their heads wondering how you did it. It's silliness to the 200th degree. Of course they can tell your tethering, whether it be analyzing packet data, or a simple script that they run to see how you are connecting to their network.

You probably think that if you use a proxy, that you are invisible online and no one can trace you too, right? Or if you piggyback off someone's wifi, that you can do illegal things with no repercussions....right? LOL.

First off I know that tethering is against the tos. I make no excuse there.

Again did not know that hacking is legal now ,and gives vzw the right to invaded my privacy.

Just because you think that someone tethering is the same as trying to hide behind a proxy or steal someone else's wifi to try to do bad things doesn't mean we all do.

Talk about lack of information on the subject.

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
They made jailbreaking your phone legal last year

Sent from my DROID PRO

That ruling did not give people the right to tether for free.

But it does give the user the right to install whatever apps he/she likes, and have control over the merchandise you paid for.

Sent from my Droid

LOL really? This is your justification? What a stretch. And you don't see how comical what you're saying is?

You do realize that you don't own verizon's network just because you paid for their service right?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Again did not know that hacking is legal now ,and gives vzw the right to invaded my privacy.

Just because you think that someone tethering is the same as trying to hide behind a proxy or steal someone else's wifi to try to do bad things doesn't mean we all do.

Sent from my Droid

Wow. I mean I've seen a lot of silly justifications on this forum, but this one takes the cake. Bravo.

cynnar

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

What exactly are you talking about with this post? Rooting and jailbreaking are legal to do, but also void your warranty. And we're not talking about spikes in usage. We're talking about data being sent and received in different methods. They can tell these things.

Because you all seem to forget that the data travels to the phone first therefore the data would be tracked back to the phone.

Now how else are you going to prove someone is tethering?

Sent from my Droid

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

There is no gray area man. What is the gray area. I can tell you the black and white area: Not allowed by TOS. Can you conceptualize the gray area? Cuz I don't see it. Saying it's not fair for light tetherers is not a gray area. That's just people trying to justify circumventing a paid service.

What are people paying for. What service. They not using the VZW app, they not using a VZW computer. You already paid for the phone and the data. So other than lining VZW pockets what extra feature does me paying $20 get me. It's a dinosaur plan for blackberry devices. No special switch goes on, no magic power source, nothing other than VZW getting paid. I pay the $20 bucks and if you ask me I should be paying the money to the devs of pdanet and wifi tether for making better apps.

sent from droidforums app

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Because you all seem to forget that the data travels to the phone first therefore the data would be tracked back to the phone.

Now how else are you going to prove someone is tethering?

Sent from my Droid

So the device that is tethered sends no packet information? It's invisible to the network? LOL...like it just doesn't exist as far as VZW is concerned? There is no way whatsoever that they can tell that you're using a laptop instead of a cellphone. That's what you're saying?

Wow, the android devs are amazing. They've figured out a way to make something that's connected to the internet leave no footprint whatsoever. Why isn't the government hiring these all knowing powerful devs??

cynnar

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Wow. I mean I've seen a lot of silly justifications on this forum, but this one takes the cake. Bravo.

My God you have no brains or what? I wasn't justifying anything. You are the one who seems to think I am defending tethering. I stated I know it is a violation of tos.

Come on

Sent from my Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.