1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Data issues while tethering

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by bomberGoma, Feb 25, 2011.

1. bomberGoma

bomberGoma New Member

Hello, folk!

For a while now, I have been having data transfer issues while tethering with my phone. It seems primarily to be connected to my computer, oddly enough, and has little to do with my phone.

At first, I used PDAnet on an un-rooted Motorola Droid 1 with Windows Vista. Sometime around Thanksgiving, I was told about rooting Droid devices, and immediately jumped on the bandwagon once I read up about it. I used a Market App that automatically rooted it for me. I then tried out a few ROMs and finally settled into what I am currently using to tether. Here is what my phone looks like now:

Motorola Droid 1 Froyo
    PRL 65169
    CDMA - EvDo rev. A
    Kernel 2.6.32.9-P3Droid
    Lithium_Mod-1.0.12

The following quote is just a more detailed form of the small summary posted below it. The quoted text includes far more specific details regarding the OSes, but to make it easier I made a tl;dr version.

Vista - wired tethering worked fine
    Fedora 12 - wired tethering was slightly buggy, but worked adequately
    Vista - wired tethering worked fine
    XP - wired tethering was fatally bad, never stayed connected
    Vista - wired tethering does not stay connected
    7 - wireless tethering does not stay connected
    XP - wireless tethering does not stay connected

A few things I have noticed when tethering drops connection:

- The 3G in the status bar disappears completely. From my observations, whether or not I actually am getting 3G up/down access does not matter to my connection, since with my location I am usually lacking 3G, but when my connection stops working, the 3G just disappears, as if I just received SMS or a Call halting my data connection.

- When the data connection halts, the phone itself no longer can make any data transfers; Market, Browser, Last.fm, and everything else ceases to work properly. However, SMS and Calls work. Usually, I have to reconnect the tether to solve this issues; ocassionally, the data connection stops permanently until I reboot the device, where it begins to work absolutely fine again.

- Very often, particularly when using PDAnet but sometimes with the built-in tether, the data connection pseudo-stops. I can not browse the Internet, but if I had, say, a Skype Call active, it will continue to work properly, as well as MMOs. New connections are refused, though. Dropping the call or the MMO will not let me back in, however.

- Leaving my phone on 'Stay Awake when charging' has seemingly made things slightly more stable.

I have done a hefty amount of research on this issue; I have found that I am not the only person that runs into this, but most of what I have found as far as "solutions" is for wireless tethering, and very often when dealing with Wi-Fi. I do not normally have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enabled since my home computer has no wireless card. I have tried a few things to remedy the situation, but nothing has helped.

I have attempted different ROMs:

Sapphire 2.0.2 - done with nearly no extra applications than what the Droid needs to run and tether
    CyanogenMod 6.1.2
    Froyo Kangerade V5.0.9

I have tinkered with multiple settings regarding data connections, toggling sync, turning wireless networks off, turning off background data completely.. nothing has worked.

Overall, from what I have read on various forums about similar tethering issues, I have found it to be very commonly dependent on the computer, which is why only various handfuls would run into this; my issues regarding tethering being related to my OS with little changes to my phone seems to heavily support this. It is slightly perturbing that this installation of Vista would completely disagree, but then again, this installation of Vista has done odd things that I have never seen Vista do.

Is anybody willing to help me with this issue? Perhaps there is a very stupidly simple solution I overlooked or haven't found? Amijustdoinitrong?

Thanks,

bG
  2. slinky

slinky New Member

I have the same problem in every city. Ridiculous there is no answer and now know I'm not the only one. Every 5-10 minutes I get dropped. 3G and the Internet connection disappear entirely. Sometimes you have to turn off pdanet and then cycle through apps and the Internet returns. Sometimes if you just wake the phone it will eventually return, sometimes a reboot is necessary. Whatever it is, June Fabrics will need to address this with an update or some notice on their site.
Search tags for this page
3g stops while tethered
3g does not stay connected when tethered

3g disappearing while tethering on s3

android tethering disconnected windows xp

android tethering on xp loses connection

data issues while tethering
motorola electrify tethering not connected
pdanet disconnects after a few minutes
pdanet drop 3g
skype auto disconnect
tether drops on game start