VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and go ahead and assume that there's no way you believe that they're not aware of this. If you think vzw is going "oh noooo they can sideload apps and we're powerless to prevent it!!!", I will lol.

What they going to do, remotely remove it. Far as I am concerned go ahead, ill just restore it with tibu. The more I think about it the more I side with every one else who are responsible tethers. Czerdrill your arguments seem like you are ok with vzw's tethering policy. I personally ma not ok with it. Am I saying a business do not have a right to make a profit, no but what they are charging for 2gigs is ridiculous and you know it.

On a separate note I called up vzw and asked if I pay the 20 bucks a month, and I will start doing that (basically I will just cancel out the extra discount they added monthly to my bill) can I use a separate tethering app like pdanet because the one vzw provides is unstable. I was told yes. So if I pay 20 bucks a month I should be able to use pdanet and wifi tethering.

Not remotely remove it, but didn't AT&T send messages to people who were tethering and tell them they need to sign up? I'm sure Verizon can do that. I will never understand why some people think VZW is not in complete control of their own network. They can absolutely tell if you're tethering, and they can absolutely stop it if they wanted to. I'm sure they're making moves to do just that.

And no, I do not agree with VZW's policy. I think it's the most ridiculous policy on the planet. However, and this is the point that people keep missing. VZW cannot, and will not ever force you to use their service. You are aware of what you're signing up for. That's where everyone's argument falls flat and fails completely. You can't agree to something and then whine about it. If you truly believe that they're screwing you, there's only two options: leave VZW, or take them to court and try to make a change. Whining about it is useless and honestly foolish. Everyone here loves to say "Yo I'm leaving VZW if they keep this up", and "I pays for my data, so I can do what I want" they've been saying that for the past 2 years. Gimme a break. I mean, I guess DF is a good place to vent, but it gets old and its all just internet tough guy talk. No one is leaving VZW and no one is going to do anything about it. So VZW has every right to keep doing what they're doing, because what they're doing is not illegal. Do something about it instead of whining about it.

I agree with you here. Unlimited data was meant for cell use and we all know that. The reason people (the non abusers) choose an app like pdanet is because vzw is not offering any middle ground. Their tethering plan is a dinosaur. They made that thing for business customers (ie blackberry users). They been going after blackberry tethers for awhile and blackberry users still tether. If vzw really want to stop tethering they come up with a better plan so that people who want to do it legitimately will. Right now people are blurred by the moral compass because they see that if the company is not going to act in good faith then why should I. At the same time that does not give you an excuse to abuse it. I emailed vzw about their tethering plan yesterday stating that they should come up with a plan that is more flexible. If I am a user who tether once a month I would be more willing to pay for a plan that reflect light tether users. Basically tier your plan. Have a $2 for 1 gig, 5 for 2 gig, 10 for 5 gig, 20 for 10 gigs. Will this stop every one from unauthorized tethering, no. But it will cause more people to sign up so the company can actually monitor their network more.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Even with the current data plans we are seeing a "base" price better than the lowest data plan. The lowest data plan, only available to tablets on a monthly contract, is $20/1GB.

Now, I do agree with tiering and I believe they should offer other options than just $20/2GB and $20/GB Over. Maybe something like $25/3GB and $10/GB over would at least bring it into an easier area to stomach.

I use it, I will admit that, and I pay for it, but I use it sparingly due to the cost.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
My problem is that it is literally my only internet connection. I live and work on board the Usns Kanawha, and when we pull in to the navy base in norfolk, I have no other means of getting online. I am not going to be paying extra when my cell phone already has an unlimited connection. You hear that Verizon? I have no other wifi source when I'm in my room on the ship.

Sent from my NookColor using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What they going to do, remotely remove it. Far as I am concerned go ahead, ill just restore it with tibu. The more I think about it the more I side with every one else who are responsible tethers. Czerdrill your arguments seem like you are ok with vzw's tethering policy. I personally ma not ok with it. Am I saying a business do not have a right to make a profit, no but what they are charging for 2gigs is ridiculous and you know it.

On a separate note I called up vzw and asked if I pay the 20 bucks a month, and I will start doing that (basically I will just cancel out the extra discount they added monthly to my bill) can I use a separate tethering app like pdanet because the one vzw provides is unstable. I was told yes. So if I pay 20 bucks a month I should be able to use pdanet and wifi tethering.

Not remotely remove it, but didn't AT&T send messages to people who were tethering and tell them they need to sign up? I'm sure Verizon can do that. I will never understand why some people think VZW is not in complete control of their own network. They can absolutely tell if you're tethering, and they can absolutely stop it if they wanted to. I'm sure they're making moves to do just that.

And no, I do not agree with VZW's policy. I think it's the most ridiculous policy on the planet. However, and this is the point that people keep missing. VZW cannot, and will not ever force you to use their service. You are aware of what you're signing up for. That's where everyone's argument falls flat and fails completely. You can't agree to something and then whine about it. If you truly believe that they're screwing you, there's only two options: leave VZW, or take them to court and try to make a change. Whining about it is useless and honestly foolish. Everyone here loves to say "Yo I'm leaving VZW if they keep this up", and "I pays for my data, so I can do what I want" they've been saying that for the past 2 years. Gimme a break. I mean, I guess DF is a good place to vent, but it gets old and its all just internet tough guy talk. No one is leaving VZW and no one is going to do anything about it. So VZW has every right to keep doing what they're doing, because what they're doing is not illegal. Do something about it instead of whining about it.

I agree with you here. Unlimited data was meant for cell use and we all know that. The reason people (the non abusers) choose an app like pdanet is because vzw is not offering any middle ground. Their tethering plan is a dinosaur. They made that thing for business customers (ie blackberry users). They been going after blackberry tethers for awhile and blackberry users still tether. If vzw really want to stop tethering they come up with a better plan so that people who want to do it legitimately will. Right now people are blurred by the moral compass because they see that if the company is not going to act in good faith then why should I. At the same time that does not give you an excuse to abuse it. I emailed vzw about their tethering plan yesterday stating that they should come up with a plan that is more flexible. If I am a user who tether once a month I would be more willing to pay for a plan that reflect light tether users. Basically tier your plan. Have a $2 for 1 gig, 5 for 2 gig, 10 for 5 gig, 20 for 10 gigs. Will this stop every one from unauthorized tethering, no. But it will cause more people to sign up so the company can actually monitor their network more.

I agree with you 100% on all points. Their tethering plans are, to put it bluntly, robbery. And I think everyone can agree with that. My thing is, I know what I'm signing up for. That's the only reason why I'm not going to label VZW as some evil empire hell bent on screwing their customers. They make you aware upfront of everything so there's no deception on their part. Morality? Yes. They are literally robbing you with their tethering plans, no ifs ands or buts about it. But that's irrelevant. Morality has no place in business lol. Sad...but true. From the largest corporation in the world, to the bodega on the corner, it's about money. And again, VZW is not doing anything illegal. Wrong from a moral sense? Probably. But illegal? No.

It sucks for those who actually do tether lightly and rarely. I myself have tethered before, maybe for 10 minutes to check an email when I was on the road. Is it "fair" that I have to pay $20/month for 10 minutes of tether? No way. But is it illegal for VZW to charge me? No, because they've distinguished tethering as a separate service, laid out the pricing for me in black and white, and I agreed to it.

Like I said, there's only two options. Leave VZW (which I won't because it is the best service in the country) or take them to court (which I won't because I know what I agreed to). Actually, there is a third option...threaten to leave or take them to court on DF and not do anything about it lol...

gsdreams

Reaction score
My problem is that it is literally my only internet connection. I live and work on board the Usns Kanawha, and when we pull in to the navy base in norfolk, I have no other means of getting online. I am not going to be paying extra when my cell phone already has an unlimited connection. You hear that Verizon? I have no other wifi source when I'm in my room on the ship.

So because it is your only internet connection that gives you the right to not pay for tethering?

Let's see I pay an extra $40/month for my home DSL. I pay an extran $20/month for my VZW Mobile Hotspot. So I pay $60/month to use the internet on my computers and you don't pay anything?

And this coming from someone who is supposed to be protecting our constitution which supports capitalism, yet doesn't agree with it. Interesting.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah man, it sucks and VZW definitely needs to examine their tethering plans to make it more reasonable for customers like you. But it probably hard for them to come up with something that doesn't lose them money or undercuts their own home broadband, and your case is definitely in the minority since you work on a ship.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Unless it's a dispute over the actual signing of a contract or acceptance of a contract you can't take Verizon to court. It is actually in the contract that you have to go through arbitration first. Have fun with that one if anyone ever did decide to try and take vzw to court.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I am not saying that because you have unlimited data you should be allowed to tether, I am actually on the opposite end of that. My argument is mainly for those who barely tether, there needs to be a middle ground for them.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unless it's a dispute over the actual signing of a contract or acceptance of a contract you can't take Verizon to court. It is actually in the contract that you have to go through arbitration first. Have fun with that one if anyone ever did decide to try and take vzw to court.

Well yeah by "court" I meant go the legal judicial route. It's irrelevant though, because no one is going to take that route. It's just a bunch of talk.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I am not saying that because you have unlimited data you should be allowed to tether, I am actually on the opposite end of that. My argument is mainly for those who barely tether, there needs to be a middle ground for them.

Right, and there should be middle ground. My argument is that you can't use the fact that there isn't middle ground as a justification for stealing. You can't break the laws just because you don't agree with them. If it was that easy, the world would be an even worse place than it is haha

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Just to let you know, I do not torrent, the only huge bandwidth I really use is downloading software updates. Sometimes I do use up to ten gigs, but as I said its my only way of getting online. I think a pay as you go system would he great. I'd be willing to have a system where its unlimited tethering, but data in general is a pay as you go, like starting at $20 for 2 gigs, and $5 per gig depending on how much you use. I'm willing to pay more for data Verizon, just keep unlimited, or leave the door open for more and more data without the costs being humungous.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Well yeah by "court" I meant go the legal judicial route. It's irrelevant though, because no one is going to take that route. It's just a bunch of talk.

You right and that is because if we had the money to take vzw to court to get them to drop their plan at least 10 bucks then why would it matter. The people complaining are those working 9-5, 5-9 tryna make a living. They are making a killing in the wireless industry and its one of the only business to show a profit during the recession. Wireless have basically replaced the home telephone in majority of the nation. In 5 years wireless have surpassed landlines as the primary phone. Besides its hard to sue vzw unless they actually send you an outrageous bill for unauthorized tethering. Vzw right now is just taking away the means and making it harder. But they are not solving the problem. And if they continue on this road they are giving more power to the devs who make those apps and work arounds.

UNC

Reaction score

There is a difference between tethering every now and then, and racking up outrageous amounts of data through tethering.

No there isn't... If you tether, you are in violation of TOS.

Since analogies get thrown out so regularly.....

Tethering a lot = use stolen car as everyday driver
tethering a little = use stolen car to pick up McDonalds food

Whether you use it a lot or a little, its still STEALING.

Everyone who tries to defend tethering by saying things like "I pay for the data" need to check their MORAL COMPASS. Seriously.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Just so people know, Verizon puts more money into there network by more than double any other provider per year. Yes, they show a profit, but they put a lot of that money we pay them back into the network.

This is why we are with them, because they do have the best network.

Status
Not open for further replies.