VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynnar

Reaction score
What exactly are you talking about with this post? Rooting and jailbreaking are legal to do, but also void your warranty. And we're not talking about spikes in usage. We're talking about data being sent and received in different methods. They can tell these things.

Because you all seem to forget that the data travels to the phone first therefore the data would be tracked back to the phone.

Now how else are you going to prove someone is tethering?

Sent from my Droid

So the device that is tethered sends no packet information? It's invisible to the network? LOL...like it just doesn't exist as far as VZW is concerned? There is no way whatsoever that they can tell that you're using a laptop instead of a cellphone. That's what you're saying?

Wow, the android devs are amazing. They've figured out a way to make something that's connected to the internet leave no footprint whatsoever. Why isn't the government hiring these all knowing powerful devs??

So they can track data sent from the phone to laptop or PC? Hmm don't transfer anything through USB cable to PC that you have downloaded with phone that would be stealing?

Give me a break.

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am actually on the other end. I pay for tethering but use wifi tethering for root users because its more stable. I had the same mindset as you. Its hard to email and call vzw about their ridiculous plans if I am using a backdoor method. And before you say anything I actually asked vzw if I tether can I use a more stable app from the market then what they offering as long as i continue to pay my $20 and I was told yes. My point is that we have this grey area and if you want to make it a black and white area then they need to redo their plans. Basically take the power out of the hands of devs so we can stop those that are abusing the system.

There is no gray area man. What is the gray area. I can tell you the black and white area: Not allowed by TOS. Can you conceptualize the gray area? Cuz I don't see it. Saying it's not fair for light tetherers is not a gray area. That's just people trying to justify circumventing a paid service.

What are people paying for. What service. They not using the VZW app, they not using a VZW computer. You already paid for the phone and the data. So other than lining VZW pockets what extra feature does me paying $20 get me. It's a dinosaur plan for blackberry devices. No special switch goes on, no magic power source, nothing other than VZW getting paid. I pay the $20 bucks and if you ask me I should be paying the money to the devs of pdanet and wifi tether for making better apps.

sent from droidforums app

The service of tethering, which Verizon distinguished as a service and you agreed to. How do you not get that?

The problem with tether-er's arguments are that it always go back to this moral issue. "It's not fair, I already paid". What you're missing, or refuse to accept, is that tethering is not included in your data allotment. There is no gray area. You are not allowed to tether if you don't pay. It doesn't matter if it's the same data, if it's a laptop, or you tether your dog. They want $20 bucks if you tether, you agreed to it, and then you found a way to do it without paying $20. So...you're wrong.

The "gray area" is that you don't want to admit that you're stealing (not talking about you, I'm talking about the people who swear they're right)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because you all seem to forget that the data travels to the phone first therefore the data would be tracked back to the phone.

Now how else are you going to prove someone is tethering?

Sent from my Droid

So the device that is tethered sends no packet information? It's invisible to the network? LOL...like it just doesn't exist as far as VZW is concerned? There is no way whatsoever that they can tell that you're using a laptop instead of a cellphone. That's what you're saying?

Wow, the android devs are amazing. They've figured out a way to make something that's connected to the internet leave no footprint whatsoever. Why isn't the government hiring these all knowing powerful devs??

So they can track data sent from the phone to laptop or PC? Hmm don't transfer anything through USB cable to PC that you have downloaded with phone that would be stealing?

Give me a break.

Sent from my Droid

There is no way (I hope, because that would be sad), that you're comparing transferring something you downloaded on your phone to your PC through your USB cable to tethering without paying $20. Please, restore my faith in humanity (and the android community) by telling me that you don't believe that what you're saying is a valid comparison.

Again...why are these android devs begging for donations when they've figured out a way to keep devices that are connected to the Internet off the grid...LOL...this is just hilarious.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Cynnar, you say that we don't have an idea what we're talking about yet look at what you post. Between deciphering what you're saying and the message you are trying to get across, I can assure you we know quite well what we are talking about on the tethering issue and how Verizon can tell if you're tethering.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is no gray area man. What is the gray area. I can tell you the black and white area: Not allowed by TOS. Can you conceptualize the gray area? Cuz I don't see it. Saying it's not fair for light tetherers is not a gray area. That's just people trying to justify circumventing a paid service.

What are people paying for. What service. They not using the VZW app, they not using a VZW computer. You already paid for the phone and the data. So other than lining VZW pockets what extra feature does me paying $20 get me. It's a dinosaur plan for blackberry devices. No special switch goes on, no magic power source, nothing other than VZW getting paid. I pay the $20 bucks and if you ask me I should be paying the money to the devs of pdanet and wifi tether for making better apps.

The service of tethering, which Verizon distinguished as a service and you agreed to. How do you not get that?

The problem with tether-er's arguments are that it always go back to this moral issue. "It's not fair, I already paid". What you're missing, or refuse to accept, is that tethering is not included in your data allotment. There is no gray area. You are not allowed to tether if you don't pay. It doesn't matter if it's the same data, if it's a laptop, or you tether your dog. They want $20 bucks if you tether, you agreed to it, and then you found a way to do it without paying $20. So...you're wrong.

The "gray area" is that you don't want to admit that you're stealing (not talking about you, I'm talking about the people who swear they're right)

You are missing my point. When they set up the plan it was for blackberry users and they designed an app and a service that basically "turned it on" so to speak. Now they are not providing anything extra. Its like going to mcdonalds and the guy at the window wanting you to tip them. Unless vzw is providing something extra. If their tethering app was faster, more stable, or something that justified the extra money then I have no argument. But they are not providing anything extra or special. All they are doing is guilting the customer into feeling they should pay extra for nothing. Basically what I am saying is do something with my 20 bucks that make me feel like I am getting something out of it. Because right now I am paying vzw 20 bucks for nothing,

hemorrdroid

Reaction score

You are missing my point. When they set up the plan it was for blackberry users and they designed an app and a service that basically "turned it on" so to speak. Now they are not providing anything extra. Its like going to mcdonalds and the guy at the window wanting you to tip them. Unless vzw is providing something extra. If their tethering app was faster, more stable, or something that justified the extra money then I have no argument. But they are not providing anything extra or special. All they are doing is guilting the customer into feeling they should pay extra for nothing. Basically what I am saying is do something with my 20 bucks that make me feel like I am getting something out of it. Because right now I am paying vzw 20 bucks for nothing,

Czerdrill is just saying you agreed to it in your contract, so its too late to argue about it.

Sent from the hand of zeus!

cynnar

Reaction score

Give me a break.

Sent from my Droid

There is no way (I hope, because that would be sad), that you're comparing transferring something you downloaded on your phone to your PC through your USB cable to tethering without paying $20. Please, restore my faith in humanity (and the android community) by telling me that you don't believe that what you're saying is a valid comparison.

Again...why are these android devs begging for donations when they've figured out a way to keep devices that are connected to the Internet off the grid...LOL...this is just hilarious.

My point exactly if they can't track what you do phone to PC via USB to transfer files from one to the other what makes you think that they can track the files your phone sends to youth PC since the phone is receiving the data?
From another post

Any program on the phone is free to use the internet connection... just as say PIE is, or say you install an AIM client. So PDANet on your phone uses the internet connection just as PIE would or lets say activesync would. It connects the same way.

PDANet does the same thing those programs do. You computer than passes through PDANet and as far as sprint knows, is the same as PIE, etc.... Obviously they can't distinguish.

So yes, you're essentially correct.

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well no, you said that they told you that if you want to use wireless tether app they dont care as long as you pay. In other words, you don't have to use their slower, less stable app. They just want you to pay for something that they have alloted as a separate service. And they are offering something extra, which is the ability to tether to multiple devices through your existing plan. But I guess not everyone looks at it that way...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Give me a break.

Sent from my Droid

My point exactly if they can't track what you do phone to PC via USB to transfer files from one to the other what makes you think that they can track the files your phone sends to youth PC since the phone is receiving the data?
From another post

Any program on the phone is free to use the internet connection... just as say PIE is, or say you install an AIM client. So PDANet on your phone uses the internet connection just as PIE would or lets say activesync would. It connects the same way.

PDANet does the same thing those programs do. You computer than passes through PDANet and as far as sprint knows, is the same as PIE, etc.... Obviously they can't distinguish.

Sent from my Droid

Because to transfer a downloaded file from your phone to your computer through USB you don't need access to their 3G network. You can put your phone in airplane mode and still do that.

However, if you are piping their network to give Internet access to another device, of course they can know. You can't just hide a device from the internet, and if you could, like I said, these android devs should not be begging for donations. They should be patenting their app and making multi-millions for figuring out a way to essentially "beat the internet"....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not that it's right to do so. I think we all agree on that.

Sent from the hand of zeus!

I know I agree with that. What they're doing may not be "right" in the moral sense, but it's definitely not illegal or "wrong" from a legal perspective. However, trying to circumvent paying is wrong, both morally and I'm pretty sure legally (i see no reason why any court, or any arbitrator would agree with the side of those who tether without paying).

cynnar

Reaction score

From another post

Sent from my Droid

Because to transfer a downloaded file from your phone to your computer through USB you don't need access to their 3G network. You can put your phone in airplane mode and still do that.

However, if you are piping their network to give Internet access to another device, of course they can know. You can't just hide a device from the internet, and if you could, like I said, these android devs should not be begging for donations. They should be patenting their app and making multi-millions for figuring out a way to essentially "beat the internet"....

And there you are stating that when you tether you bypass the phone. Which you cannot. So you are stating that when you hook your PC up to your phone everything you do can be traced. It what is this hiding device from net? It is the app that access the net not the PC and correct me if I'm wrong but the app is on and can only be used on the phone.

I'm done with thus crap believe what you want.

Sent from my Droid

xan

Reaction score
When you get a drivers licence you sign a contract that you agree to obey all traffic laws, or run the risk of getting fined and possibly losing your driving privileges. Does that mean I always go the limit or under? Do my tires come to a complete stop at every stop sign?

I think theres a huge differences between driving 68 on the freeway in a 65 zone, and doing 125 through a school zone while chugging jack daniels.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
From another post

Sent from my Droid

And there you are stating that when you tether you bypass the phone. Which you cannot. So you are stating that when you hook your PC up to your phone everything you do can be traced. It what is this hiding device from net? It is the app that access the net not the PC and correct me if I'm wrong but the app is on and can only be used on the phone.

I'm done with thus crap believe what you want.

Sent from my Droid

I'm sorry I don't understand your post. Not being a jerk, I'm being honest. I dont' understand what you're saying.

I did not state that when you tether you "bypass the phone". I don't even know what you mean by that. What I did say was, that when you tether, you CAN'T hide the device that is tethered from VZW. In other words, you can't just hop up and down all giddy because no one at VZW will know that a laptop is connected to their network.

I'm glad you are done with this crap. That's probably the best thing you can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.