VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by pc747, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Couldn't help but notice that there are still tethering apps on Amazon's App Market...

2. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    There comes a time in every mans life when he is forced to use Google. Only the strong will survive :D

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I don't disagree but....Their 10gig mobile broadband card is $80 a month. TMo is $85. Sprint is $50 for unlimited - 4G only (which is hardly anywhere) - and $60 for 5gig at 3G. AT&T is $50 for 5gigs of 3G.

So 10gig INCLUDING tethering (which is a BETTER plan than mobile broadband alone) for less than $80 is a pipe dream. And the fact is, VZW is very competitive on their pricing.

Again, I fail to see where VZW prices are out of line or that they are somehow gouging us vs. other carriers. Now if you want to say prices are too high, then you have a debate but to properly frame that you'd have to look at margins and ROI vs. other telecom/tech companies. And at the end of the day, we really don't need data on our phones. We may think we do, but we honestly don't so if you don't like the prices the answer is fairly obvious.

And let me point out something else about these "exhorbitant" costs: I have paid $40 a month for 450 minutes (used to be just 250 or so) for the past decade - and dropping my landline which is almost a wash. Oh, and throw in free long distance. I use Navigation on my phone - for free - while other people spend a good chunk of change on a Garmin, or get those expensive add-ons for a rental car. Then of course there's Sirius/XM (another waste, IMO), but with Android you really wouldn't have much need for those services. And quite honestly $30 for data is pretty reasonable if one chose to drop home internet because they just need to do the occasional search and email. Oh, and it takes pictures and video.

So for all the talk about how ridiculous cell bills are, they take all these other services and uses and put them in one device and actually have the potential to deliver a NET SAVINGS. When people throw out numbers about what they THINK this should cost or all they feel they should pay, it just sounds rather ignorant to me.

4. aldeghij

aldeghij Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.... Verizon is gettin greedy.

5. BlueSami

BlueSami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question for the teathering prudes

I know you are all against teathering to a computer because it uses a TON more data than a phone..
    But what if you teathered to a tablet? Wouldn't that be the "same" like data as a phone?

Now before you go off about what V s tos say. Just think about what I am asking.

Ps I don't teather!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. givmedew

givmedew Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that if you really where using 2GB/m then you could call that abuse since 2GB is the cap you get when you pay $20.

Most people use nowhere near that amount though unless they are streaming audio/video.

I use tethering often and find myself using around 200MB I have recently however jumped on the ethical bandwagon and pay $20/m for 1GB on a tablet and since you are actually paying for a specific amount of data with a tablet VZW doesn't consider it stealing to tether a tablet. They do not charge anything extra for tablet tethering since your data is not unlimited while using the tablet.

As far as the blocking the app from the market that is not going to stop very many people but it will stop some. You would be very surprised at how many people learned about the tethering from the market.

Even if vzw stops 1% of people they stopped some people. Anyways I'm sure there where some people out there that thought the apps where legitimate hell they don't say HEY this violates your TOS on the first line of the description do they?

The day VZW stops doing an unlimited plan for $29.99 is the day that I support people stealing the tethering. But until VZW goes tiered you should not think of it as using data you have already paid for. They have clearly left the word UNLIMITED just to ease people minds and they are clear that it is unlimited on the device only!

7. Froyo

Froyo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I already have had all the major tethering apks backed up for some time. However, in light of this new little stunt, I just went ahead and downloaded all the newest versions of PDA Net, Wired Tether, Wireless Tether, and Barnicle from the net onto my computer, where they shall remain there nice and safe, until the 15th of May.

8. aristoid

aristoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ghod Bless You ! !

9. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Oh well. I dont tether and would be fine with paying the $20 a month extra for unlimited tethering if i did. I hope that will lead to a softer stance on rooting so we can optimize our own property and theres no reason now for VZW to ne. against it since free tethering was the only logical reason for them to be against rooting

10. TengokuDROID

TengokuDROID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is VZW aware that you can just .apk the app, and install it? :l Fail.

11. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and go ahead and assume that there's no way you believe that they're not aware of this. If you think vzw is going "oh noooo they can sideload apps and we're powerless to prevent it!!!", I will lol.

12. Natey2

Natey2 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe Microsoft will open another Android Appstore and make these banned apps available to Android users, all in the name of Liberty and Freedom for the oppressed. :^)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
data pilot tether review
datapilot hotspot review
datapilot tether and hotspot reviews
datapilot tether iphone verizon

datapilot tether review

how can i block the self provisioning page from verizon popp
how to get unsupported apps on a unrooted at&t gallexy s3
pdanet 3.5 bypass block