Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

pego99

Reaction score
Sorry I thought the subject of this thread was unlimited DATA but I guess you changed it to unlimited everything. Moi?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sorry I thought the subject of this thread was unlimited DATA but I guess you changed it to unlimited everything. Moi?
It's actually about both; the new unlimited plan which is unlimited everything, how it might compare to old unlimited plans or other plans, how "unlimited" is it when they start throttling, etc. etc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
"De-prioritization" is the keyword and not "throttling".

So after an informative talk with a high level tech tonight, I have learned a couple things about their new plan. First I look to save only $12.00 a month vs. the original grandfathered plan we now have on 3 lines (tethering isn't a concern).

Second, on the phones data access, you are de-prioritized on the LTE network after 22 gigs (allegedly). Technically you are receiving a lower level of LTE and not throttled (his words), so you are not knocked down to 3G. As far as the hotspot, that is capped at 10 gigs and you are throttled or limited to 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
"De-prioritization" is the keyword and not "throttling".

So after an informative talk with a high level tech tonight, I have learned a couple things about their new plan. First I look to save only $12.00 a month vs. the original grandfathered plan we now have on 3 lines (tethering isn't a concern).

Second, on the phones data access, you are de-prioritized on the LTE network after 22 gigs (allegedly). Technically you are receiving a lower level of LTE and not throttled (his words), so you are not knocked down to 3G. As far as the hotspot, that is capped at 10 gigs and you are throttled or limited to 3G.

Good info here, I probably won't use over 10gb tethering and I barely hit 20gb before the reset... if at all.

What's crazy is I remember using a bluetooth Tether in 2006 on my LG VX8100 while in AIT and it was 3g and definitely fast enough. Watching youtube on 3g is pretty bad, thankfully you can play some mmorpgs while tethering on 3g, at least in 2011 when I was in Yakima you could.

MAzing87

Reaction score
The unlimited plan seems to cater more to family plans. Where's the love for the individual or single line? I currently have the unlimited talk 3GB plan for $85, which includes a corp discount. If I switch to UDP, I'd have to pay an extra $30 a month! That is ridiculous.

The Tmo plan of $70 UDP, all taxes included would save me $15 a month or $180 a year if I switch now. Anyone have any experience with Tmo recently? I used to have them years ago, but I'm not sure about them now.. Their UDP is enticing.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Tmo plan of $70 UDP, all taxes included would save me $15 a month or $180 a year if I switch now. Anyone have any experience with Tmo recently? I used to have them years ago, but I'm not sure about them now.. Their UDP is enticing.
i switched to tmo last month after over a decade with verizon. i had unlimited data on verizon since 2010 and was getting discounted phones till this year. when i switched i noticed two things. verizon phones lack lte band 12 which is low frequency new gsm lte band used for long distance and deep building penetration so my reception was poor in commercial buildings like hospital. i had to sell verizon phone and buy gsm phone that included said band. with new gsm phone the reception is on par with verizon with speeds very similar, but verizon is a bit faster in metro detroit. i'm talking where verizon used to be 30-40mpbs, tmo is about 20-30mbps downspeed.
so in conclusion, verizon network is superior but i'm paying 1/2 of what i would be paying on verizon by end of next year(about 220-240 for 4 lines including taxes and fees) i'm now paying 114 for 4 lines of unlimited everything in mexico/usa/canada with very similar service. there are a lot of perks on tmo like free stuff on tuesdays(pizza, movies, dunkin donuts gift cards) and free inflight internet if you're a frequent traveler. their customer service is very responsive. i've contacted them through twitter and they always get back to me within an hour to sort out or address any questions i've had.
last time my wife had tmobile was in 2007 and it was horrible, 10 years later and it's 2nd best in the nation in my opinion.

MAzing87

Reaction score
i switched to tmo last month after over a decade with verizon. i had unlimited data on verizon since 2010 and was getting discounted phones till this year. when i switched i noticed two things. verizon phones lack lte band 12 which is low frequency new gsm lte band used for long distance and deep building penetration so my reception was poor in commercial buildings like hospital. i had to sell verizon phone and buy gsm phone that included said band. with new gsm phone the reception is on par with verizon with speeds very similar, but verizon is a bit faster in metro detroit. i'm talking where verizon used to be 30-40mpbs, tmo is about 20-30mbps downspeed.
so in conclusion, verizon network is superior but i'm paying 1/2 of what i would be paying on verizon by end of next year(about 220-240 for 4 lines including taxes and fees) i'm now paying 114 for 4 lines of unlimited everything in mexico/usa/canada with very similar service. there are a lot of perks on tmo like free stuff on tuesdays(pizza, movies, dunkin donuts gift cards) and free inflight internet if you're a frequent traveler. their customer service is very responsive. i've contacted them through twitter and they always get back to me within an hour to sort out or address any questions i've had.
last time my wife had tmobile was in 2007 and it was horrible, 10 years later and it's 2nd best in the nation in my opinion.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I had the same issue with the reception not being able to get through at my job as well, but they improved it recently. I don't feel like monitoring my data whenever I'm near my cycle so I plan to call up Tmo and possibly make the change. At this point, I don't even care who is the best, I want to pay far less for service that works.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
The unlimited plan seems to cater more to family plans. Where's the love for the individual or single line? I currently have the unlimited talk 3GB plan for $85, which includes a corp discount. If I switch to UDP, I'd have to pay an extra $30 a month! That is ridiculous.

Unlimited plan is $80 with auto pay
bb2cc97a603a9342f98113338080da74.jpg

7+

MAzing87

Reaction score
Unlimited plan is $80 with auto pay
bb2cc97a603a9342f98113338080da74.jpg

7+

Vzw.PNG

This is the screen that I get. So current monthly plan total is $55 before taxes, but with the UDP, it's an extra $20 (not counting discount since that isn't available on unlimited plan)! That's insane!! I could go to Tmo and pay the flat $70, which saves at least $15 + taxes for VZW UDP.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
View attachment 77285

This is the screen that I get. So monthly plan total is $55, but with the UDP, it's an extra $30, $20 without the discount! That's insane!! I could go to Tmo and pay the flat $70, which saves at least $15 + taxes for VZW UDP.

I misunderstood I thought you were paying $85 now ....if your bill is $55 then yes

7+

MAzing87

Reaction score
I am paying $85 right now (taxes included). But what your screen and mine shows, it's $81-85 (before taxes). So it'll come up to $100 or so for the UDP.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Doesn't T Mobile let you use their service on a part time basis, as if you were a tourist for a week or two? Pay as you go for a couple weeks, that way you could give it a trial run before committing.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wish more American companies went with the European style of including tax in THE EFFING PRICE. It just makes better sense

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk