Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just another update. My daughter has used 34 GB already in 16 days. Way over the 22 GB possible throttling limit. I just setup my old Turbo 2 for her as a "new" phone and did all the setup and app updates over cell 4G data and it was definitely still 4G speeds, no throttling noticed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
The fine print at the bottom of the television commercials say new device purchase required.
(I admit that I haven't paused the screen to read the entire thing) Has anyone switched to this plan without purchasing a new device?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The fine print at the bottom of the television commercials say new device purchase required.
(I admit that I haven't paused the screen to read the entire thing) Has anyone switched to this plan without purchasing a new device?

I did... Not even a little problem... No throttling so far, at Disney I thought it might be but then I realized that it was probably just a huge amount of people and I wasn't over 22gb yet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I did also. The day it was announced. I think the new device purchase is to receive some of the other benefits.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I did also. The day it was announced. I think the new device purchase is to receive some of the other benefits.

+1, no issues

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

easyfire

Reaction score
I understand that most of the postings here are concerning overages of the 22GB data limit before restrictions can occur. But have any of you gotten restrictions if you have gone past the 10 GB limit on the mobile hotspot? I see mobile hotspot and tethering as different functions. I currently use Foxfi hotspot on three lines and wonder if Verizon will limit that usage?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good morning @easyfire. I don't use wifi hotspot often on my phone so can't answer with any certainty. If it's anything like the data portion they will only throttle if the tower you are connected to is congested. My daughter used 38GB of data last month as was not throttled. I can't see them throttling at 10GB of hotspot just because they want to, but then again....Maybe they do? Hopefully someone that has gone over the 10GB hotspot limit can chime in.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I use both and haven't noticed any issues. Everything works well, but like Sajo noted, if you are in a busy area, the up/down speeds change.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I understand that most of the postings here are concerning overages of the 22GB data limit before restrictions can occur. But have any of you gotten restrictions if you have gone past the 10 GB limit on the mobile hotspot? I see mobile hotspot and tethering as different functions. I currently use Foxfi hotspot on three lines and wonder if Verizon will limit that usage?
How do you see mobile hotspot(sharing data connection) and tethering (sharing data connection) as two different things? Both terms create a WiFi access point.

Last edited:

easyfire

Reaction score
Tethering connects one device to the phone, while a wireless hotspot can connect multiple devices.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Tethering connects one device to the phone, while a wireless hotspot can connect multiple devices.
I'm sorry no...

Tethering by definition is

teth·er
ˈteT͟Hər/
verb
gerund or present participle: tethering
  1. 1.
    tie (an animal) with a rope or chain so as to restrict its movement.
    "the horse had been tethered to a post"
    synonyms: tie, tie up, hitch, rope, chain; More

2. 2.
    use (a smartphone) in order to connect a computer or other device to the Internet.
    "one prediction is that tethering will cost around $30 per month, probably with some cap on the amount of data transfer allowed"

Regardless of whether you use one device or multiple devices it's still tethering if you use your phone... even if it's a mobile hotspot... the connection of a device to the internet through a smartphone is tethering.

foxfi using wifi to create a tethered connection is the same as using the built in mobile hotspot app to create a tethered connection regardless of number of devices used.

it's all the same.

bluetooth tethering is using bluetooth to connect a single device to another devices internet connection and share it. mobile hotspot creates an ad-hoc network that allows multiple devices to connect to a single device to share it's internet connection

still in the end it's all about sharing that internet connection with another device.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
oh and I used just over 10gb last month and didn't notice anything... I'll aim for 15 gb this month and see if I can figure out if it tethers at all.