Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You don't want to be on safe mode for long that's for sure ...I have 22 days to go with 7.77GB used so far so let's see where I end up with this unlimited ...last month I used 23GB no slow downs

7+

Wadman

Reaction score
What about tethering speeds? Has anyone used more than the allotted 10 gigs? If so how much does it slow down. It says it slows to 3g speeds.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What about tethering speeds? Has anyone used more than the allotted 10 gigs? If so how much does it slow down. It says it slows to 3g speeds.

I can't answer specifically since I don't use Hotspot. But I'm pretty sure their rules are the same as mobile data tethering...you will be throttled "IF" the tower you are currently using is congested and busy. My guess is that most folks will not see the slower speed much of the time if they do go over, unless their tower is busy at the same time they are using Hotspot. Hopefully someone with the new plan that has gone over the 10GB tethering limit can be more specific, but those of us that went over the mobile data limit didn't post much about any major throttling.

Wadman

Reaction score
I can't answer specifically since I don't use Hotspot. But I'm pretty sure their rules are the same as mobile data tethering...you will be throttled "IF" the tower you are currently using is congested and busy. My guess is that most folks will not see the slower speed much of the time if they do go over, unless their tower is busy at the same time they are using Hotspot. Hopefully someone with the new plan that has gone over the 10GB tethering limit can be more specific, but those of us that went over the mobile data limit didn't post much about any major throttling.
That's what I figured. We do tether quite a bit. Thanks for the response. We really won't save any money with the new unlimited, but we can't upgrade our phones to N because tether work around doesn't work. We have tried to add the tethering feature to our phones and there isn't a way to do it because our plan is an old plan. If the speeds aren't slow to the point that we can't stream I probably would change.

david.j.dowling

Reaction score
That's what I figured. We do tether quite a bit. Thanks for the response. We really won't save any money with the new unlimited, but we can't upgrade our phones to N because tether work around doesn't work. We have tried to add the tethering feature to our phones and there isn't a way to do it because our plan is an old plan. If the speeds aren't slow to the point that we can't stream I probably would change.
If you're on the old unlimited plan out one that doesn't include 4G hotspot you can add it to your plan...
Sign In
Login to the Verizon sure and then open this link you will find the 4G hotspot as a feature to add... I do this so I don't have to root my phone... It costs about a dollar a day and you can turn it on and off as much as you want. Just reset your phone after you make the change and use the system hotspot to share...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HiImkuhl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb.
Twitter
@kuhlll
Just an update i did it some how speedtest as well Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
QTEJRnV.png

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Wow, if you hit 101 GB in 30 days you definitely were not heavily throttled.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HiImkuhl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb.
Twitter
@kuhlll
How do you hit 100GB on a phone? 3.5gb a day. I can't even do that tethering and doing BitTorrent.
saving snd streaming. I'm in the military and i save a lot of music and videos for the long periods without service and I also DJ which requires me to hoard a bit of music and listen to new and hip things. I have the 256GB iPhone and i may have around 12Gbs free at a time.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
saving snd streaming. I'm in the military and i save a lot of music and videos for the long periods without service and I also DJ which requires me to hoard a bit of music and listen to new and hip things. I have the 256GB iPhone and i may have around 12Gbs free at a time.
I assume you didn't notice any slower speeds or throttling during that month?

HiImkuhl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb.
Twitter
@kuhlll
I assume you didn't notice any slower speeds or throttling during that month?

I only really noticed it loading a few things on social media. Other than that it was still very usable compared to the Safety Mode throttled data.

HiImkuhl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb.
Twitter
@kuhlll
Another update here are my speeds being under the 22Gb threshold
LKuaiIW.png

pego99

Reaction score
Hate to break it to ya but I still have the verizon unlimited plan.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Hate to break it to ya but I still have the verizon unlimited plan.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
My feelings are hurt.

New or old plan?