Verizon to overhaul its phone and data pricing plans

Silver Member
Reaction score
so... now you can get unlimited messaging? is that what they're saying?

SNIP

The way I read it is that the unlimited messaging adds $20 to a plan over voice. I'll keep my $5 for 250 messages. But this is just me.
i did the math. i pay for 500 text, 900 minutes and unl web and my plan is $91 after discount. if i switched to the new plan, i'd get unlimited text, 900 minutes, unl. web for $4 less.

i'm interested in knowing if the family plans require one data subscription per line or if the $29.99 applies to everyone on the plan.

meaker

Reaction score
i'm interested in knowing if the family plans require one data subscription per line or if the $29.99 applies to everyone on the plan.
I have to pay for 2 smart phone data plans at 29.99

From the looks of the new pricing, I won't save any money. I have 700 minute family plan with 2 smart phone data plans.. Am I correct?

sajonf

Reaction score
so... now you can get unlimited messaging? is that what they're saying?

SNIP

The way I read it is that the unlimited messaging adds $20 to a plan over voice. I'll keep my $5 for 250 messages. But this is just me.
i did the math. i pay for 500 text, 900 minutes and unl web and my plan is $91 after discount. if i switched to the new plan, i'd get unlimited text, 900 minutes, unl. web for $4 less.

How do you figure?? Looks like it would be $10 more to me.. I would like to see your math.

I don’t see any advantages to these new plans unless you talk enough to justify unlimited minutes.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do you figure?? Looks like it would be $10 more to me.. I would like to see your math.

I don’t see any advantages to these new plans unless you talk enough to justify unlimited minutes.

well i pay $91/mo. the new plan @ 900 minutes is $79.99/mo. + 29.99 data is $87.98 after my discount. the only thing i didn't factor in is tax.

cuzzinz

Reaction score
I think at this point we just need to see how Verizon ends up working in the Unlim Data plan. If it applies to the entire family then that would be SICK!!!!

If not VZW needs to come up with sort of family deal where you only pay 49.99 for the entire family or something. Im sure we all know a lot of people with family plans that would have more droids...or at least have more people with the data packages if it was cheaper.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
Don't be so sure about that. I've had many instances when a Verizon rep has noticed ways to save me money and advised me to switch from one plan to another. It's usually available for you to change on the web as well.

Sweet! But now I'm confused, it looks like my bill would be exactly the same under the new prices, or $10 more for unlimited text.

Currently:

Nationwide Basic Share 1400 mins + 1 extra line + 500 msgs x 2 + smartphone x 2
$80 + $9.99 + $10 x 2 + $29.99 x 2 = $169.97

New Plan:

Monthly Access 1400 Talk (2 lines) + 500 msgs x 2 + smartphone x 2
$89.99 + $10 x 2 + $29.99 x 2 = $169.97

Or New Plan with unlimited text for $10 more:

Monthly Access 1400 Talk + Text (2 lines) + smartphone x 2
$119.99 + $29.99 x 2 = $179.97

Silver Member
Reaction score
based on what was posted, i'm going to go ahead an assume they're dropping the messaging tiers. it's either you get messaging or you don't.

Elysian

Reaction score
Wish they'd cut the price on the 450 minute plan... and the data plan... Or make a plan like Sprint's "Everything" plan, with a good rate.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm gonna wait til it's on VZW website and more clearly defined. BGR didn't do a great job of explaining the changes.
.... cuz what I'm seeing is for 2 lines with talk and text it's $99 for both (700 mins).... + $29.99 for unlimited data for both? = $130? I can't see my bill dropping almost $50 bucks.

Last edited:

ScooberJake

Reaction score
based on what was posted, i'm going to go ahead an assume they're dropping the messaging tiers. it's either you get messaging or you don't.

Hmm... hoping that isn't right. If so, I would be forced to pay $10 more for unlimited text (or drop text all together) when my current 500 limit is more than enough. I'll have to drop by the Verizon store next week and find out.

sajonf

Reaction score

Hmm... hoping that isn't right. If so, I would be forced to pay $10 more for unlimited text (or drop text all together) when my current 500 limit is more than enough. I'll have to drop by the Verizon store next week and find out.

If they do change to unlimited or none, I have to believe they will allow current subscribers to remain on their current plan and options. They won't force you to use the new plans and options.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I stopped this morning and they said that they have nothing official and just know what is on the web and that the web info was leaked.