Verizon to overhaul its phone and data pricing plans

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
based on what was posted, i'm going to go ahead an assume they're dropping the messaging tiers. it's either you get messaging or you don't.

Hmm... hoping that isn't right. If so, I would be forced to pay $10 more for unlimited text (or drop text all together) when my current 500 limit is more than enough. I'll have to drop by the Verizon store next week and find out.

If they do change to unlimited or none, I have to believe they will allow current subscribers to remain on their current plan and options. They won't force you to use the new plans and options.

They can't force you to switch contracts, no. It will be like the Altell customers. My friend just renewed her contract through Verizon but was allowed to keep her Altell 'plan' but now with Verizon (it's considerably cheaper than even these supposed prices).

I want to know about the data for families... I just got this phone/plan and did NOT get my fiance a Eris because she didn't want to pay the extra money. If they change this I'll have to get her one (I'm still in my 30 days).

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I dont anticipate the 29.99 data plan will cover every device on the plan considering they are forcing people to include a 9.99 data plan on 3g capable non-smart phones.

I would guess its will remain as is, each smart phone will require separate data plans.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I called today. $29.95 standard data plan does not change. I have the family plan for my wife and I and upgrading from 1400 minutes to unlimited will cost $28 more a month.

I figure I may as well since if we go over by 20 minutes that will make up the difference.

xtreme

Reaction score
Nope once the new plans launch you are free to take advantage of the new pricing structure. VZW lets you change your plan at any time without changing or renewing your contract

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just updated my plan. I opted for the same features, but under the new pricing.

So I went from 900 min + 500 texts + $30 unl web -to- 900 min + unl texts + $30 unl web for $7 less than what I was paying.

My 20% off doesn't apply to any of the unlimited plans, so those seem like a waste...

soulpatch

Reaction score
I save almost 50 a month with the new plans. And my wife's LG dare did not need the 9.99 data plan supposedly even though it is a 3G phone...

I wonder what is different with my old discount in that I was able to still have it applied???

Though it will be a cold day in Hell before I call VZW and tell them about it. HA HA

Attached a screenshot so people dont think I am talking out my ass about the discount...

untitled-2.jpg

cuzzinz

Reaction score
Ok it doesnt look like this has been answered so i will ask again...

Are us Smartphone users still required to have a 29.99 data plan on each line or is it now shared on the family plan?

funken

Reaction score
Reading all of that confuses me. How much should it cost for the minimum minutes possible (450?), 250 texts, and unlimited data?

Right now, I am paying $39.99 + $5.00 + $44.99 = $89.98

Should I be paying $29.99 for data?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reading all of that confuses me. How much should it cost for the minimum minutes possible (450?), 250 texts, and unlimited data?

New Plan for minimum minutes(450), unl. texts is 59.99.
$44.99 for data? Do you have VZ navigator too? They snuck that in there on me when I signed up again.

funken

Reaction score

New Plan for minimum minutes(450), unl. texts is 59.99.
$44.99 for data? Do you have VZ navigator too? They snuck that in there on me when I signed up again.

Nope, when I signed up 2 weeks ago, it had 2 data options - the one that was unlimited was $44.99.

So I should be able to get 450 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data (for Droid) for $59.99 + $29.99 ?