Verizon Tech here - ask away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaleski

Reaction score
What happens? Does the screen light up or anything? And by standby, you mean you let the screen shut itself off? Do you get call notifications or SMS notifications? More details, please--

The track ball lights up. Nothing else happens when the screen shuts itself off for emails. I do get SMS notifications during this time period.

schmealey

Reaction score
Centro to Droid

I am on Verizon and been using the Palm OS for 9 years on a MAC. I want to switch to a droid but do not know how to get all my data in there. Most importantly Calendar and Contacts. I can re-enter my Memos if I have to.

I have been told that Verizon can get my contacts over when I buy the phone via infer red sync.

So what is the best way to get my data ported?
What do I sync with in the future?

skidemn

Reaction score
Quote: Originally Posted by bwick84
First let me thank you viperboy for all your help here. I went through each of the 40+ pages and didn't see this asked so I apologize if it has.

I've had my DROID for a little over a month now and occasionally (maybe once a week) it shuts off on it's own and I can't turn it back on. I have to remove the battery and put it back in and it will start right up and work just fine. I thought the new 2.0.1 update might have fixed this but it happened again today.

It is not from the battery going dead (it was at 90% when it happened today) and I'm not pressing buttons because it was just sitting on my desk. I don't have any 3rd party apps installed or anything like that. Do you know what would cause this? Should I consider getting it replaced?

I really don't know what could cause this, it's not a common problem that I see. Since you have no 3rd party apps, I would say to get the device exchanged. You don't have anything on your phone that would cause that.

The only other thing would be to take it into the store and have them reflash it. It could be that when you got the update, something isn't working right anymore. You will lose all your data though, keep that in mind. So I would recommend backing it up with MyBackup or something first.

I have had this same problem with two phones. It happened both before and after the update so I don't think it is related. The last time it happened was yesterday and I was in the Dolphin Browser trying to input a response on Facebook. I know this isn't much to go on but if you hear anything please post it.

Thanks!

iJroid

Reaction score
Hey Viper, I know this is not tech related, but I was wondering if you know anything about the shirt/coupon distribution. Was the shirt and the coupons sent to random customers, or is there a reason behind it? Thanks

This would be nice to know

iJroid

Reaction score
I bet my lawyer will have a fieldday with this when vzw tries billing me.
It reminds me of the whole "I own this music and should be able to play it on any device I want to play it on" stuff from days past.

I guess I wait and see.

Ok, thanks for the response none the less. I figured you knew what pdanet was but its best to never assume.

I was under the impression that as long as you stay under the 5 Gig "soft cap" for the "unlimited" data there usually arent any problems which is why i figured i'd ask.

Thanks again!

The unlimited data is from your phone, not from another initiated connection using your phone's internet connection. Complicated, but the short answer is... if you want tethering, you need to wait until an updated VZAM comes out.

joshclovis

Reaction score
I have a question for the verizon tech. I have been on the phone numerous times with verizon tech's within the past few days trying to get my picture messaging to work. I am still unsuccessful. I'm in an extended network area, however; all my other data functions work flawlessly. I can receive pictures, but I can't send them. When I try to send a picture message a small red clock appears beside the picture and it just never does send the message. It is also important to note that other people in this area are on verizon and they can send picture messages just fine. Any advice would be most appreciated.

iJroid

Reaction score
I just got the droid and am still trying to figure things out.

quick question. my unlock icon changed from the nice arch to the straight line. Was this a result of the update? Can i change it back to the arch look?

thanks
yes that was a result of the update and no you cannot change it back.

Hope that helps.

I actually didnt even notice. I keep my phone locked and a portion of my card encrypted.

Nice to know, though.

iJroid

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove vibration when dialing phone, to my knowledge I have all vibration modes disabled.

Have you checked the following?

Homescreen>menu button>settings>language and keyboard>Android Keyboard

There should be a "Vibrate when press" option with a checkbox

jahtv98

Reaction score
Any news on the next sofware update? I really hope they fix some of the GPS glitches and email. Hotmail doesn't synch too well with the droid =/

iJroid

Reaction score
Viperboy,
I am wanting to get to know the OS better and possibly get into the development aspect of it. Where would you reccomend that I go for the resources needed?

I am guessing that is not a VZW question...

I'm guessing that a quick GOOGLE search for "how to program for android" would turn something up.
Google DID develop Android.

I'm just sayin' :icon_ devil:

But since people will put more offort into logging into a forum and posting messages than doing a quick google search, here are some links;

Software Development Kit
Developer Sight complete with "Hello World" tutorial. :icon_ banana:

I recommend taking at least a basic Java class.

iJroid

Reaction score
Dont know about the present, but after owning a droid it should never be a problem again.
The droid syncs with your gmail account, and all of your droids contacts are there.

I am on Verizon and been using the Palm OS for 9 years on a MAC. I want to switch to a droid but do not know how to get all my data in there. Most importantly Calendar and Contacts. I can re-enter my Memos if I have to.

I have been told that Verizon can get my contacts over when I buy the phone via infer red sync.

So what is the best way to get my data ported?
What do I sync with in the future?

schmealey

Reaction score
I am a Verizon user who has been on a PALM OS on a MAC for 9 years. I want to switch the Droid but need to know how to sync both contacts and calendar. I would love to sync my memos but here that's no so easy. Any suggestions? Also after I do get the data into a Droid how do I and what do I sync with.

Thanks,

iJroid

Reaction score
Hey Viper! Sorry if these are repeated questions, I didn't see it in your FAQ and the thread is up to 24 pages...

1) Any word on the issue with the home screen not rotating except when the physical keyboard is pulled out?

Not an issue. It was intentional.

If you want auto-rotate on home get GDE, Home++, Open Home, or (what I use) Panda.

I actually have home autorotate turned off on panda. It got annoying.

iJroid

Reaction score
hey viperboy

i have a question about mms, i can send video, picture, recorded notes, mms but not mp3 files, is it because its something verizon hsnt allowed?

Most likely. They are kinda "The Man"

will.anaya

Reaction score
sorry, but i tried to search this thread to see if this subject was covered.

how do you enter a persons contact when you try to send a new text message?

if i press the message icon from the home screen, in the "To:" section, i try to type the persons name, as it appears in the contacts, but all i get are numbers that correspond to the letters i am typing. when i finish typing out the correct contact name and send, i get a message back saying that the message was not sent to an invalid address.

it seems that the only way i can send a text is going to my contacts, choosing the person i want and then press the messaging icon. wasted steps given that when you press the messaging icon on the home screen sends you a "new message" screen.

i guess i was use to the enV3 where all i had to do is start typing the persons name and an list would appear allowing me to choose the correct person. this is what i want without having to install an app.

Status
Not open for further replies.