Verizon Tech here - ask away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven1911

Reaction score
Took off full charge at 9am. By 3pm I was at 30% battery having 50 min of conversation/voice calls, 19 text messages, zero internet and games. By 6pm my battery was warning me at under 15%. Use told me standby @ 37%, display @ 12%, phone idle at 25%, android os @ 9% and rest of the stuff @ 5% or lower. I just don't get it my battery was gone in 9 hrs with light use IMO. Before the update I had much better battery life. I just wanted to see if I was being unreasonable before I decide to exchange my phone/battery. This was two days go viperboy. What do you think, exchange it?
that is alarming. you need to click on cell standbye and see what % it says you were not connected to network. if it's high your phone was searching for service and that rapes your battery.

So should I take my roaming capability off or something? Maybe that is what is jacking my battery? Problem is though, it wasn't happening before the update. I went the same places before my update and it wasn't that bad. I have almost had it with the battery life. I have to carry around my darn cord with me everywhere.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The unfortunate truth is that when you have bad reception in your house your phone will use up a TON trying to find a signal. I cured part of that problem by having wi-fi on all the time for my internet however it still tries to get signals for telephone calls.

Doesnt matter what carrier - or phone. You need good reception or it will eat your battery.

When I go out for dinner my battery barely changes because I have good reception.

Took off full charge at 9am. By 3pm I was at 30% battery having 50 min of conversation/voice calls, 19 text messages, zero internet and games. By 6pm my battery was warning me at under 15%. Use told me standby @ 37%, display @ 12%, phone idle at 25%, android os @ 9% and rest of the stuff @ 5% or lower. I just don't get it my battery was gone in 9 hrs with light use IMO. Before the update I had much better battery life. I just wanted to see if I was being unreasonable before I decide to exchange my phone/battery. This was two days go viperboy. What do you think, exchange it?
that is alarming. you need to click on cell standbye and see what % it says you were not connected to network. if it's high your phone was searching for service and that rapes your battery.

So should I take my roaming capability off or something? Maybe that is what is jacking my battery? Problem is though, it wasn't happening before the update. I went the same places before my update and it wasn't that bad. I have almost had it with the battery life. I have to carry around my darn cord with me everywhere.

Edmvr6

Reaction score
Hey hows it goin.. quick question... are we ever gonna get an update on the droid in the near future for multi touch like the eris? or is it gonna stay as is with updates just to fix bugs?

legacystar

Reaction score

if the phone was getting solid reception before and not now, take it into the stor and get it replaced. i already replaced one droid cause the signal searching was eating my batter. my new one is like gold now lasting 10-15 with medium use and 24 or more on light days.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Reaction score
I have a problem with txting.
I will be txting somone and it will just randomly go back to the main messaging menu that looks like this. It usually does it sometime between me sending a txt and receiving a txt back from the same person. It just started doing it yesterday.

Edit: It also does it if i just open a txt thread and let it sit there. Also when it happens i lose signal for a split second.

New message
compose new message
----------------------------------------
Joe Bob (432)
hey
Timmothy (23)
hey

Last edited:

miltk

Reaction score
I have battery issues too. They drain even with the droid ogg.

But I bought the extra battery and stand-alone charger. This makes so much sense. First off, all smart phones are going to have a shorter battery life than regular cell phones, so you should get an extra battery anyway.

The stand alone charger frees you up to charge 'n swap with no wait time.

raven1911

Reaction score
My problem is that I travel and am on the road a lot. I think I will take it in and get it replaced.

bkn0x

Reaction score
any idea why when I get certain text my phone does not vibrate? It does for all others just for like 2 people it does nothing.

Spectrum

Reaction score
I will be txting somone and it will just randomly go back to the main messaging menu that looks like this. It usually does it sometime between me sending a txt and receiving a txt back from the same person. It just started doing it yesterday.

Edit: It also does it if i just open a txt thread and let it sit there. Also when it happens i lose signal for a split second.

New message
compose new message
Joe Bob (432)
hey
Timmothy (23)
hey

i did a complete factory reset and it seems to have fixed it. Do you have any idea why it happened in the first place? Thanks

OP
V

viperboy

Reaction score
Can you use the wifi outside of country? and will it cost?

Yes you can and no it won't. Just make sure to turn on Airplane Mode. You can still turn on WiFi, even with Airplane Mode on.

what is the purpose of turning ON airplane mode when using wi-fi overseas,,,,

and does this only have to do with using wi-fi overseas, or should this procedure be done always with wi-fi.

thx, Vboy

Turning on Airplane Mode would turn off the cell radio and help to reduce battery drain, especially if you go internationally where you would have no service.

It has been there since 2.0. Why it is under Development, I couldn't tell you, but you are correct that if it is unchecked, the screen will turn off while charging..

If your a developer and are loading apps for testing and have the unit plugged in, I would think you would Not want the screen to goto sleep.....

Screen on or not, that has nothing to do with loading apps into the phone. The phone is still awake even if the screen is not.

Viperboy:

I've been trying to find out if the port under the battery cover is for an external antenna?

Yes it is, it's not for flashing the phone like was said by someone before the phone even launched.

Hey VB, when I add a direct dial shortcut to my home screen, every contact is duplicated. I do have Touchdown app installed so I'm thinking this may be an issue with that. Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks

Every contact gets duplicated where? A little more info please.

Yeah, that is pretty significant drain for barely using the device. Take it in and have it looked at, that's your best bet.

? For viperboy, my wife and i are on the same shared plan, when we talk are any minutes counted?

Also, if another network such as sprint calls me, are those minutes counted to me?

Thanks

VZW to VZW don't count.....Another Network, Yes...unless you have them in your Friends and Family list...

Correct. Thanks for answering that.

Hey hows it goin.. quick question... are we ever gonna get an update on the droid in the near future for multi touch like the eris? or is it gonna stay as is with updates just to fix bugs?

Nothing official that I have heard. I would doubt it though because as I was told by a Motorola rep, they found that for use in the browser and galley and things that multi-touch was more cumbersome to use than just double tapping. That is why this phone doesn't do that, so I hear.

I disagree, but that is what Motorola chose to do with Verizon's Droid.

New message
compose new message
Joe Bob (432)
hey
Timmothy (23)
hey

Odd, any other 3rd party apps that might affect it? Did you try in SM and see if this happens? You could probably master reset to fix it, but I know you probably don't want to do that.

any idea why when I get certain text my phone does not vibrate? It does for all others just for like 2 people it does nothing.

^ Same thing as above to you ^

Last edited:

Spectrum

Reaction score

New message
compose new message
Joe Bob (432)
hey
Timmothy (23)
hey

i did a complete factory reset and it seems to have fixed it. Do you have any idea why it happened in the first place? Thanks

New message
compose new message
Joe Bob (432)
hey
Timmothy (23)
hey

Odd, any other 3rd party apps that might affect it? Did you try in SM and see if this happens? You could probably master reset to fix it, but I know you probably don't want to do that.

:wink: 10 characters

normbarb

Reaction score
Viperboy - Appreciate you helping us all out. I am using Google Talk for messaging. I have not sent or received any SMS messages, however, when I check my status on Verizon's website, it shows that I have 7 messages. I looked at the details and they are messages that I sent and received using gTalk. I sent an e-mail to Verizion and got a reply that they cannot tell anything until the actual bill comes out. Thanks in advance for your help. Norm

keiichi25

Reaction score
Hey VB, when I add a direct dial shortcut to my home screen, every contact is duplicated. I do have Touchdown app installed so I'm thinking this may be an issue with that. Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks

Do you have similar (But not exactly the same) contacts within G-mail that are also in Exchange/Outlook?

What I have seen to be the problem is when you have your Exchange/Outlook have something similar, and you import or setup on G-mail a slightly different version of the same contact. Normally, the phone should intelligently merge them, but I noticed when I just got laid off and tried to put some of my old Outlook contacts in there, sometimes dup entries are there due to small discrepancies that I need to resolve and merge to get them lined up properly. Look in the contacts themselves, some of them are separated by sections, showing where they are associated from.

Status
Not open for further replies.