How To: Not Sync Droid contacts with Google

JayMonster

Reaction score
Unfortunately I was not able to place this information on the thread that started this inquiry, but since some did not seem to be able to find how to do this, I thought I would provide it in case somebody was actually looking for it.

In Order to not sync your contacts to your Gmail Account.

Open Contacts

Menu> Accounts

Select your Gmail Account

Uncheck the box for "Sync Contacts"

Done. Not nearly as hard... either to find or execute as it was suggested to be.

Now you can rest easy that your contacts are solely on your phone and that Google will not take over the world starting with your contact list.

Of course if you lose your phone or something goes wrong, you don't have a backup in the cloud... but at least your contacts are "safe."

windstrings

Reaction score
You can still back them up to your SD card.

I'm not worried about my contacts... I have no classified stuff... in fact.. Google has already taken over.... just type the name of any of your contacts into the google search engine and see what all you find!

If they need something.. they don't need your or my help!

OP
JayMonster

JayMonster

Reaction score
I don't agree with your assessment that Google has already "taken over" but I do agree that this is tinfoil hat material. I personally am not worried about my contacts and I actually sync my accounts to Gmail, but posted this for those that don't want to do that.