Verizon Kills Off GrandFathered Unlimited Plan Early Leaving SGS3 Owner High & Dry

kaylesworth

Reaction score
I pre-ordered my SGS3 on 6/6. Just got it today and activated. My unlimited data plan, which I've had since my OG Droid, was automatically switched to a 2GB plan. Called VZW to complain and they said they would have to submit some form and I'd have to check back later tomorrow to see IF my unlimited data plan could be re-instated. As a consolation for my troubles they upped my data plan to 4GB w/ Mobile Hotspot for this month since I was almost out of data for the month.

urklegrue

Reaction score
I pre-ordered my SGS3 on 6/6. Just got it today and activated. My unlimited data plan, which I've had since my OG Droid, was automatically switched to a 2GB plan. Called VZW to complain and they said they would have to submit some form and I'd have to check back later tomorrow to see IF my unlimited data plan could be re-instated. As a consolation for my troubles they upped my data plan to 4GB w/ Mobile Hotspot for this month since I was almost out of data for the month.

Call back and talk to someone else! I swear the guy I talked to changed it immediately, and I asked him to wait on the line while I checked to make sure it showed up online, which it did right away.

djsiva

Reaction score
My boss preordered from a VZW auth dealer a while back, phone came in today and he went through this same BS when he went to pick it up. It took two calls and an hour and a half, but customer service was able to put him back on unlimited data.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
djsiva said:
My boss preordered from a VZW auth dealer a while back, phone came in today and he went through this same BS when he went to pick it up. It took two calls and an hour and a half, but customer service was able to put him back on unlimited data.

This is why mine will get activated in a Verizon store, so if they try any funny business, I can choke them right then and there, and smack them upside the head with my locked bootloader phone, LOL.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

kaylesworth

Reaction score
Call back and talk to someone else! I swear the guy I talked to changed it immediately, and I asked him to wait on the line while I checked to make sure it showed up online, which it did right away.

I called back and this time when they said that they would have to submit a form I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor was able to reinstate unlimited data in about 5 minutes. THANK YOU urklegrue!!!! So Happy DancingNexusDancingNexusDancingNexus

The Pope

Reaction score
As I was reading thru these post and say Cerial Killers post, I couldn't help to think of this.

[video=youtube;C6H1AjTRU3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6H1AjTRU3A&feature=related[/video]

I got my Unlimited Data Plan extended back in January, so I "guess" I'm good to go for now.

Last edited:

jseah

Reaction score
Did you guys use upgrades???

I went to the VZ store to inquire about changing the phone, what would happen to my plan... "If you buy a phone at full price (not an upgrade) the plan stays. If you upgrade ANY data phone on the account, it will make you change to a new plan." This time I will have to buy it full price as mine got wet and isn't working right, so I will see if the plan stays. But at next upgrade time, I will have to decide.

It looks like the price I am paying now for 4 data phones unlimited=180.00 is equal to their new "share everything plan" Verizon's Share Everything data plans go live June 28th, let you add family (or a tablet) for a little extra -- Engadget$50 1 gig data + $40x3=$120 + ie. $70 for 4 gigs data + tax/fees $20 = TOTAL $260.00... that will double my bill for only 4 gigs!!!! :mad: HELL NO!!!!

I think your numbers are a bit off. You don't pay $50 for the first GB of data, plus then pay another $70 for the next 4 GB of data. The data costs are:

1 GB - $50
2 GB - $60
4 GB - $70
6 GB - $80
8 GB - $90
10 GB - $100

and then an additional $10 for every 2 GB over 10 GB.

So for 4 smartphones with 4 GB of shared data, you would be paying $40 x 4 = $160 (why does your calculation say that you have 4 data phones, but you only multiply $40 x 3?) + $70 for 4GB of shared data = $230 before taxes.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
jseah said:
I think your numbers are a bit off. You don't pay $50 for the first GB of data, plus then pay another $70 for the next 4 GB of data. The data costs are:

1 GB - $50
2 GB - $60
4 GB - $70
6 GB - $80
8 GB - $90
10 GB - $100

and then an additional $10 for every 2 GB over 10 GB.

So for 4 smartphones with 4 GB of shared data, you would be paying $40 x 4 = $160 (why does your calculation say that you have 4 data phones, but you only multiply $40 x 3?) + $70 for 4GB of shared data = $230 before taxes.

No matter how you slice it and dice it, It's a rippoff.

billyk

Reaction score
This thread...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-forums-member-news-depot/211870-vzw-promo-plan-members-transition-share-everything-plan.html

.. details similar experiences. It doesn't matter that it's the new Galaxy 3 or not. I purchased new devices (Rezound and Spectrum) just prior to 6/28 and VZW hosed-up both of those lines - both initially lost the "Unlimited Data" status. I had to call back to argue them both back onto Unlimited. The problem is that VZW does not have Unlimited as a valid data package any longer, so every new device defaults to some other data package.

Definitely call back in and get a Supervisor if you have to, to set you back to Unlimited. Calling back in a few days to ensure that they have it right is a good idea as well.

me_droid

Reaction score
Believe it or not, when I went in to VZW on June 29 for an upgrade, I had no idea these new plans would be kicking in - guess I've been out of touch. I was quite shocked that upgrading just 1 of our 4 phones would kill unlimited for ALL 4! My rep could see that I was clearly ticked off so said that she could apply a "loophole" and keep unlimited, which I can verify did work. I don't know what the loophole is, but at least on the 29th it was possible for VZW to keep us on unlimited. It's not that we use all that much data, but on principle it seemed outrageous that upgrading 1 phone would change the plan for all 4.

jseah

Reaction score
Used upgrades to order two GSIII'S on June 12th, the same day Verizon announced the Share Everything plan. Received the phones via FedEx today. Activated them online using the Verizon website. Activation went smooth, and after activation those two lines still showed unlimited data. The plans never changed on me. Granted, the phones were replacing other 4G phones so there really was nothing to change.

billyk

Reaction score
Believe it or not, when I went in to VZW on June 29 for an upgrade, I had no idea these new plans would be kicking in - guess I've been out of touch. I was quite shocked that upgrading just 1 of our 4 phones would kill unlimited for ALL 4! My rep could see that I was clearly ticked off so said that she could apply a "loophole" and keep unlimited, which I can verify did work. I don't know what the loophole is, but at least on the 29th it was possible for VZW to keep us on unlimited. It's not that we use all that much data, but on principle it seemed outrageous that upgrading 1 phone would change the plan for all 4.

Sorry to hear this. This is why I purchased two new phones for my kids just prior to the 29th. Just one new device will now move the whole family to a plan that could cost much more money. Sucks. Big-time.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
billyk said:
Sorry to hear this. This is why I purchased two new phones for my kids just prior to the 29th. Just one new device will now move the whole family to a plan that could cost much more money. Sucks. Big-time.

Just go eBay and purchase your new device, my Rezound which is in pristine condutuon will be on there soon, once I receive my S3.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just go eBay and purchase your new device, my Rezound which is in pristine condutuon will be on there soon, once I receive my S3.

Exactly. Just go on eBay or Craigslist for phones. You'll still have to watch the esn numbers on some of them but it's worth getting a gently used phone and keeping unlimited versus getting a new one and losing it.