Verizon Kills Off GrandFathered Unlimited Plan Early Leaving SGS3 Owner High & Dry

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon-Wireless-logo-building-crooked.jpeg

We knew it was coming. We already covered that Verizon would be doing away with "Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans." However, there were many VZW customers promised that they would be able to carry over the unlimited data plans if they purchased the Samsung Galaxy S III by June 28th. Apparently, for some users, Verizon is backtracking on this. According to a report over at BGR, a Verizon customer was just sent an email denying him the grandfathered unlimited data plan even though he pre-ordered his SGS3 on June 6th. Here's the email he received,

Your request to keep the unlimited data plan for the new equipment cannot be granted. Verizon no longer offers this feature. To complete your request we have the following features available (i.e. $30 for 2GB, $50 for 5Gb or $80 for 10GB) please advise which one you would like

Please reply to this email with the above information so that we may continue your request as soon as possible.

Whether this user really did preorder when he claims he did, it looks like we have truly come to the end of the line for the Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans at Verizon. It looks like we can put the final gravestone on it.

Thanks for the tip, TisMyDroid, Shadez and Trusstopher!

Update: It looks like it might be a logistics glitch on Verizon's part (or perhaps Verizon was hoping that customers would be too lazy to call in to fix it). You may want to try calling Verizon directly and have them help you sort it out. According to reports, the process may be difficult and involves an “inactive pricing request” submission, and you may have to call back for status updates regularly.

Source: BGR

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The same as I posted in another thread with same article...

TisMyDroid said:
The supposed quote from verizon looks to be a response to someone trying to order a phone recently and hoping to keep their unlimited. The verizon quote does not refer to anything suggesting that the person made the order before june 28th. The reader supposedly pre-ordered his gs3 but who knows if he did. I doubt it. There would be a whole lot of people screaming foul if they received this email after pre-ordering.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I see sparks flying!!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The supposed quote from verizon looks to be a response to someone trying to order a phone recently and hoping to keep their unlimited. The verizon quote does not refer to anything suggesting that the person made the order before june 28th. The reader supposedly pre-ordered his gs3 but who knows if he did. I doubt it. There would be a whole lot of people screaming foul if they received this email after pre-ordering.

Can you confirm this? The BGR article indicates that their reader specifically said he pre-ordered his on June 6th.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
dgstorm said:
Can you confirm this? The BGR article indicates that their reader specifically said he pre-ordered his on June 6th.

Who can except the reader who supposedly said he pre-ordered and BGR if they bothered to go as far as getting legitimate proof from the reader that he did. It appears to me that many many more people who pre-ordered the sg3 would be screaming on this forum if they received this email. I trust people in this forum more than bgr!

DF's new slogan:
Anything Android... You heard it here first!

Lol!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If this is true... I would take the phone and install it somewhere unpleasant... wow... I'm getting violent!!! Someone hold me back!!!! :p

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
OP updated by dgstorm

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;9ftWerL1Wcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftWerL1Wcs[/video]

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^... LOL at this "ck"!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who can expect the reader who supposedly said he pre-ordered and BGR if they bothered to go as far as getting legitimate proof from the reader that he did. It appears to me that many many more people who pre-ordered the sg3 would be screaming on this forum if they received this email. I trust people in this forum more than bgr!

DF's new slogan:
Anything Android... You heard it here first!

Lol!

Lol TisMyDroid. Indeed! Still... it's worth reporting. Also, I updated my story to reflect the possibility that the info was erroneous. Stuff is popping up around the web suggesting it might be legit. It may not be isolated to this one user. If it is, then at least we shared the info. If it isn't then we armed you guys with info, which might allow you to get the situation resolved if you happen to be one of the users falling into this pitfall. (again assuming it turns out to be real.)

Last edited:

urklegrue

Reaction score
I had my unlimited data changed to 2GB when I activated my SGS3, but they fixed it quickly and without a fight as soon as I called. It literally took less than 30 seconds, so it can be done and if the CSR makes it sound like a drawn-out complicated process, that's BS.

I pre-ordered on June 6, FTR, and had unlimited data dating back to the original Droid from November 2009.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a good feeling this guy is not telling the truth, reminds me of the guy who place his S3 in the nuke and then blamed the phone for exploding, if you have a receipt that states you signed up for another two years at current plan, my receipt has everything on it for what I signed up for, including $29.99 for unlimited web and email, nothing changed from my previous plan that was on month to month.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Trusstopher
Looks like those that pre-ordered the GSIII with promises of unlimited upon delivery might be getting very angry:

Verizon unlimited LTE data ends

x-post from the unlimited data thread.

My receipt says I signed for another two years with Unlimited data, I went from a month to month unlimited "since my 2 year contract had already expired", reason I did the new two year upgrade was so I can use my last upgrade at subsidized price. If my receipt says Unlimited, then that is what I am getting, I want to see how they get around that. They are bound just like you are by the terms you signed on the day you placed your order, and if on your receipt it says $29.99 for unlimited web and email, then that is what you are getting. Thats why when I get my phone I will go to my closest Verizon store and have them activate it making sure things don't get screwed up with my data plan, I will make them work for that $30 BS fee they charged me.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums​

Last edited by cybertec69; Today at 01:49 PM.​

Your Order

Item DescriptionQuantityYour Price
horiz_divider.gif
sam_galaxy_3_blue.png
Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB in Blue1$199.99

UPGRADE FEE$30.00

Discount - New every two-$30.00

Your Plan
Nationwide Talk - 450

Plan Features
TXT MSG W PER MSG CHARGES
STREAMLINED BILLING - $0
MESSAGE WAITING INDICATOR
CALLER ID
BUSY TRANSFER
3-WAY CALLING
CALL DELIVERY
CALL WAITING
NO ANSWER TRANSFER
CALL FORWARDING
BASIC VOICE MAIL - $0
M2M NATIONAL UNLIMITED - $0
UNLIM M2M MSG W/500 MSG $10
UNL NIGHT & WEEKEND MIN $0
OTA SOFTWAREUPDATE-$0.00
VZAPPZONE PROVISION
BLOCK PREMIUM SMS
EMAIL & WEB UNLIMITED $29.99
BACKUP ASST. PLUS SYNC $0.00
SDM REMOTE QUERY ENABLED
VERIZON APPS $0
BACKUP ASST. PLUS 500MB, $0.00
4G DATA TRANSPORT
RTR FOR UNLIMITED PLANS $0
DYNAMIC-PRIVATE IP
4G INTERNET ACCESS
4G APPLICATION ACCESS
USA ONLY NO ROAM - $0
WPP ASURION $5.18
CONSUMER PDA

Additional Items

DFILLSIM3FF-A$0.00
Shipping Fee$0.00

horiz_divider.gif
horiz_divider.gif
NOTE: Your first bill may include charges for a partial month of service in addition to your first full month's access charge, billed one month in advance.

Order Subtotal Today$ 199.99
Sales Tax*$ 17.75
Shipping$ 0.00
Order Total Today$ 217.74
Total Monthly Charges**$ 85.16

horiz_divider.gif

We're not 100% satisfied unless you are. Please go to verizonwirelesssurvey.com and tell us how we're doing.
For the latest product and service information and a copy of your terms and conditions, view your eGuide.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
dgstorm said:
Lol TisMyDroid. Indeed! Still... it's worth reporting. Also, I updated my story to reflect the possibility that the info was erroneous. Stuff is popping up around the web suggesting it might be legit. It may not be isolated to this one user. If it is, then at least we shared the info. If it isn't then we armed you guys with info, which might allow you to get the situation resolved if you happen to be one of the users falling into this pitfall. (again assuming it turns out to be real.)

Man, you are GOOD! and fast! Which is why I love DF!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, you are GOOD! and fast! Which is why I love DF!

Thank you! We work hard to bring you guys news as fast as possible and update as quickly as we can too. :)