Verizon galaxy nexus users coming up on their upgrade.

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
Either some of us have gotten lucky with this phone and the screen and radio "problems" or you don't know how to take proper care. I've had no problems with either, have never dropped a call or data, and 4 months into it....it looks fresh out of the box and that's from daily use at work and home. I've had more luck with Samsung than Moto and would gladly buy again.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Either some of us have gotten lucky with this phone and the screen and radio "problems" or you don't know how to take proper care. I've had no problems with either, have never dropped a call or data, and 4 months into it....it looks fresh out of the box and that's from daily use at work and home. I've had more luck with Samsung than Moto and would gladly buy again.

-Samsung radios tend to perform more poorly in fringe areas than Motorola radios.

-In high signal areas it would stand to reason that differences would not be apparent.

-Logically higher signal areas are high density areas (New York and Los Angeles excluded due to interference from buildings and so many people). That's why the radio issue is under represented.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

-Samsung radios tend to perform more poorly in fringe areas than Motorola radios.

-In high signal areas it would stand to reason that differences would not be apparent.

-Logically higher signal areas are high density areas (New York and Los Angeles excluded due to interference from buildings and so many people). That's why the radio issue is under represented.
I've seen first hand the signal issues with another Gnex (thankfully not mine). I've seen a friend of mine go through 2 units and the problems still persisted. We live in an area with a strong signal as well, so maybe he got two lemons in a row? But I do agree that Samsung's radios aren't as solid as Moto's, which are arguably the best right now.

I am like you though, not a single issue with my Gnex that wasn't my fault. My signal is always strong where it's supposed to be and the battery has been pretty good for the most part. I was also happy with my experience with the sg3 I trialed for a bit and would gladly buy another Samsung device.

steveil

Reaction score
That is what is frustrating about verizon. On at&t and t-mobile you can buy a nexus and just pop a sim card in it. I understand verizon wanting to protect their network but they have used that as an excuse to dictate to their customers. Hopefully verizon will get the motorola x for you guys, but I am not holding my breath.

Don't know if my bill is screwed up or not but I got my wife her first smart phone in december. My bill says that I am still unlimited but she has only 2 GB.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do know one phone it will not be .. another samsung POS.

I had concerns about the radio and build quality of samsung phones before I caved into the hype around the nexus as I wanted a vaniila droid not loaded with bloat.

All of the concerns I had came true.. a pos radio that dropped calls and data , cheaply made plastic and a screen that cracks if you blow on it the wrong way (On my 3rd nexus due to cracked screens up to 5 replacements due to trying to win the good radio sweepstakes... I still have my original droid that is going on 4 years old now and has never needed to be replaced, my wife uses it now and when I offered to trade with her she refused due to how fragile the samsung is.)

I am still grandfathered and have my unlimited plan intact so I will no longer take any of their upgrades and will buy my next phone off contract to keep it.

I was almost at the point I was going to get a developer ediition Moto but I had some unexpected expenses that took that money away and I am saving up for it again.

Once I get $800 tucked away for it I'll take another look around and see what is available at the time.

I truly understand your frustrations about the radios as I have expressed time and time again about my displeasure with the galaxy nexus radios. Having a note 2 I can honestly say the radios are like night and day. I swore I would never buy another samsung device ever again after the galaxy nexus. Now the plastic is still there but I have a case on it so I can overlook that.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't know if my bill is screwed up or not but I got my wife her first smart phone in december. My bill says that I am still unlimited but she has only 2 GB.

If you bought your wife smartphone on contract in December then she is now on that new family share plan. To keep your unlimited data you have to buy a phone full price.

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
Ok forgive the uneducated but what is the deal does Verizon sell the Nexus 4 or what? And for $350 with no contract i can keep my unlimited data and dump my droid x

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok forgive the uneducated but what is the deal does Verizon sell the Nexus 4 or what? And for $350 with no contract i can keep my unlimited data and dump my droid x
The Nexus 4 does not have the radios capable of using Verizon's CDMA network. You can however buy a phone used or new that is compatible with Verizon's network and be able to keep your unlimited data.

LuvMusic

Reaction score
Well, I'm in the "coming up for upgrade" group and there is nothing out there right now that gives me that "I gotta upgrade" feeling. The Sony Z looks interesting and a model with LTE is suppose to be coming. Also, I/O is coming up and maybe we'll hear more about the "X" phone(s). And.........???

The tough part is I have unlimited data and to maintain that I have to pay full price, no subsidy. So, the thought of paying $700.00 - $900.00 for a high-end phone is not too exciting either.

So, I'm just going to wait for now and enjoy my 4.2.2 update.

My 2 cents

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the "coming up for upgrade" group and there is nothing out there right now that gives me that "I gotta upgrade" feeling. The Sony Z looks interesting and a model with LTE is suppose to be coming. Also, I/O is coming up and maybe we'll hear more about the "X" phone(s). And.........???

The tough part is I have unlimited data and to maintain that I have to pay full price, no subsidy. So, the thought of paying $700.00 - $900.00 for a high-end phone is not too exciting either.

So, I'm just going to wait for now and enjoy my 4.2.2 update.

My 2 cents

You didn't like the s4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

LuvMusic

Reaction score
You didn't like the s4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

The S4....well, my son has an S3 and it's a nice device, didn't make me go "oh wow." From what I've read, the S4 is an incremental upgrade, so, not that interested right now.

Not quite sure why, but I feel like I want to try something besides a Samsung device. Good news is my Nexus is working fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Overall I've been pretty happy with my GNEX, but I'm due for an upgrade at the end of April (and so is my wife). She's more desperate than I am as she has the Droid 3 and it's acting pretty wonky. So what are we looking at? She likes the S3 but wants a Stylus (Note 2 is too big she says). I'm interested in the Google/Moto phone so I'm anxious to see what that's going to be like. The HTC One looks interesting, but not sure if VZW will get it. I'm also looking at the S4.

My last Moto phone was the X2... and it was pretty blah for me. I gave it to my sister when I got my GNex... She's a smartphone noob but she's getting frustrated with it. With my wife's issues with her D3 I'm very weary of Moto now. I've had a decent time with my GNex... It's been working fine for me; so maybe i got lucky.