Early Upgrade

Jung136

Reaction score
i have a question, I have a family plan with 5 lines, 1 Droid X and 4 feature phones (LG Cosmos) and we are eligible for the 1 1/2 year upgrade on 3/30/12... we REALLY want to pre-order 5 Galaxy Nexus devices... i I were to call up *611 and politely ask the representative for an early upgrade to order 5 $300 smartphones and add data plans to 4 other lines, would they grant my request? or is there any other way to get an early upgrade? :blink:

sxm

Reaction score
lol, 4 new data plans, verzion will make lotsta $$ on you with their new crappy tiered plans.

Creed

Reaction score
Now while I don't know anything for sure I think you have a fairly good chance. About 2 years ago I bought myself a palm pre and after only 8 months or so I switched to an iPhone 4 when it came out without having to pay the retail price for the iPhone nor pay the 300 breach of contract fee. I had to plead a little but it worked out well for me.

Another thing you can do is upgrade to a "business" account and cheat the system that way :p

OP
J

Jung136

Reaction score
Now while I don't know anything for sure I think you have a fairly good chance. About 2 years ago I bought myself a palm pre and after only 8 months or so I switched to an iPhone 4 when it came out without having to pay the retail price for the iPhone nor pay the 300 breach of contract fee. I had to plead a little but it worked out well for me.

Another thing you can do is upgrade to a "business" account and cheap the system that way :p

what will a business account do for me?

Creed

Reaction score
With a business account (with Sprint at least) you can upgrade a line early with an "early-contract price" so if, for example, a phone is 299 with a 2 year contract it would be 399 or 450 to get it early. It doesn't quite save you as much as buying it on contract but if you need the phones now and are willing to pay the slight premium it can be worth it.

wolstonc

Reaction score
Business account thing doesn't work for Verizon as far as I know. However, its easy to get an upgrade done early as long as you do it through the rep on the phone. But they cannot just change your date. And usually you have to make up an excuse. But its unlikely to get 4 dates changed. Maybe lie and say a store rep told you that all the lines get that upgrade? If they tell you to go back to that rep say you did and that he doesnt work there anymore, and when you talked to the manager they told u to call customer service? I used to work for VZW customer service, excuses like that usually work, although 4 early upgrades is a stretch... But call enough times and they'll do anything

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Chatchie

Reaction score
Call VZW directly. The store managers never work with me on stuff like that. I called up VZW CS saying I was going on vacation and wanted to get into a new phone before I left. They let me get my OG 3 weeks early. You have to be persistant.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm not sure if vzw still is doing it, but like a year ago they were letting dumbphone users upgrade like 6 months early if it was for a smart phone.

They might bring it back for the holidays.

Just remember you should be able to get credit for upgrading from dumb to smart. I think it's like $100/phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alucard9114

Reaction score
If they let you early upgrade they will charge you 20 for each phone for early upgrade and 50 dollars tax for each phone thats 350 in bull fees its almost 2000
bucks in one transaction. If they dont do it over the phone they are fools but if they dont go in to a store the employees make commission they will do everything they can to make it happen. :icon_ lala:

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to upgrade all their phones at once, especially knowing that in less than 3 months your new one will be outdated anyway. Best to get one at a time and get the latest and greatest as the contract on that line is up.

Brimm

Reaction score
You may have a chance. I once tried to get an early upgrade. My actual upgrade was only about a month away. One of the employees at the actual Verizon store told me that I would have a good chance of upgrading early if I called and did it over the phone. So, I called and spoke to someone from customer service about and she told me that she could let me upgrade early BUT (here was the catch) I could only upgrade to a BlackBerry. I tried to ask if there was any way I could upgrade early and get the phone I wanted but she told me I couldn't so I just called it quits and hung up the phone.

So, they only let me upgrade early because my actual upgrade date was merely one month away BUT I didn't get to chose which smartphone I wanted.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's going to depend on either your local manager or which rep you get on the phone. If there is a corporate store near you try them. My store here does pretty much anything to keep the customers happy. They've 'upgraded' me after only a year before with no extra fees/penalties on my last 3 smartphones. They also upgraded my ex's feature phone to a smartphone after only 8 months. They make the money off of the services NOT the phones so in your case (4 extra data plans) they should be foaming at the mouth (at least the corporate stores, they are paid according to revenue that they secure, similar to commission but not quite the same). Trick is to talk with the store manager and let him know if he doesn't give you what you want you'll leave (i.e. pay eta and go to competitor, yes it's a bluff, remember as per the courts in most states ETA's are prorated now).